• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel Armor Plate Damage testing video

DENAUS4

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2008
Australia
Hi Guys

We have just done a whole bunch of testing on 12mm Bisplate 500 / AR500, looking for different thresholds that damage targets. I've put together a video that shows some of the impacts up close and also a bit of an explanation at the end about how different projectiles react.

It has some really good footage so I thought that some of the hide members may also enjoy.

It is best watched in 1080p full screen with annotations on.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AX4AqkqQJg8?rel=0&vq=hd1080" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers Lachie

Why do they play music that makes me wish I was sitting in front of the plate?

I'll have to finish later. The music was killing me.

Why do they play music that makes me wish I was sitting in front of the plate?

I'll have to finish later. The music was killing me.

It started out head banging, then shifted to:
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TAYL0df6vCc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

The info was interesting until the music was unbearable. Nice try, maybe next time.

I never did understand the 'need' or 'urge' to have music embedded in everything that is on video. Personal stuff, go crazy and knock yourself out. Things you actually intend to share, keep that crap out of the good stuff. That should be a rule for everyone. Rant off.

Tough crowd.

Thanks for taking the time to report this data to us. It's great information! Thanks!

Good vid OP,

BUT I am not sure your targets are actually True Premium AR500. Some of those targets are showing some huge craters,

That target with the 30 cal, 90 grain I think at 2500 FPS maybe had big craters.

We can shoot our 338 cal rifles with 300 grain bullets at 25 yards. Will not do nearly the damage,
and on the other end, we shot 22-250 rounds at 25 yards, Although it does create a poke mark, its not near the damage that target is showing. I was just surprised to see that.

We get all of our steel direct from the Steel mill in Oregon, and our requirement is a BH of 495-525. So its quite hard.....!
Some of that steel looks like AR400 in my opinion.

Where did you get the AR500 from?

Thanks, great vid, appreciate you taking the time to shoot and write the up

Hi Guys

Sorry about the corny music, bit of a fail there :(

The steel we use is Bisplate 500 which is the Australian equivalent of AR500. It's typical hardness is 500BHN and its yield is about 1400 MPa. The 300gr SMK in the 338 Lap doesn't do any damage as the velocity is too low and the SMK is a long ogive style tip. It is one of the reasons we did this research project was to show that it is not always the heavy hitters that cause damage.

That is pretty awesome!!!!! I am shocked how the fast light bullets did the most damage...I figured the larger mass would have done the most damage but I guess the old saying speed kills applies to bullets as well!

I liked the video. I didn't pay attention to the noise.
I liked the part where he is talking about the 50 gr. Barnes and put up a signal for you nit pickers. FM

Jake, how you mount the plate is very important as well.

The testing shown here is great, I like it. I was having this discussion with some people from my shooting club recently and it was going to affect club policy on safety (minimum engagement distances with centerfire rifles during matches).

OP, do you have any impacts from spall on the safety screen at the shooter?

Plates should never be hung "rigid" Like this.. The need to move to dissipate the shot and angled to deflect it down

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jake, how you mount the plate is very important as well.

The testing shown here is great, I like it. I was having this discussion with some people from my shooting club recently and it was going to affect club policy on safety (minimum engagement distances with centerfire rifles during matches).

OP, do you have any impacts from spall on the safety screen at the shooter?

We didn't have any spall at all from 25m, if you look at the screen that the camera is behind you will notice that there is very little spall that hits it when the impacts are below the threshold that is causing damage to the plate, as soon as damage starts to occur to the target this also corresponds with a massive increase in spall being directed back towards the shooter. You can see this in the velocity step test and also look at how much spall hits the screen for the 100gr projectile.

Plates should never be hung "rigid" Like this.. The need to move to dissipate the shot and angled to deflect it down

This is correct, it is best to always mount plates so that it swings and it should be hung from the upper 1/4 of the target so that if the plate is hit it deflects downward and the spall and projectile should follow suite. It will also help to reduce deformation of the plate and stress cracking from the mounting point.

I need to do some more testing so i have it in concrete, but what we have seen so far is that whether it is rigid or swinging there is very little difference in penetration once a projectile is going fast enough to do damage, this is for an impact on a plate that is hanging level.

What does make a difference is if the plate is on an angle to the impact, as ring said. This will reduce the damage caused.

Last edited: