• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing steel or alloy gunparts

bart.herens

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
hey people,

Dont know if this topic stands on the right place but is there somebody that owns a cnc for producing steel or alloy parts ?

Gr,

Re: steel or alloy gunparts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bart.Herens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there somebody that owns a cnc for producing steel or alloy parts ?</div></div>

There are a lot of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bart.Herens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there somebody that owns a cnc for producing steel or alloy parts ?</div></div>

There are a lot of them. </div></div>

+1 on there being a LOT of folks around the Hide that own/operate CNC equipment.

Filling out your profile and giving us an idea of what sorts of parts you are needing/wanting would be a good place to start.
wink.gif

hey,

i have drawed a chassis in autocad,it would be made of gigh grade alluminium or steel..but im just a beginner in this kind of things so please give me advice, would i take steel or alluminium and what kind of ?

Greets

yeah indeed steel's a bit heavy and i also have seen on this forum a guy that made a schassis out of alloy, now 7075 T6 would be a good material to work with on cnc ?

And do somebody owns a cnc who wanna help me out with produce this part ?

hmmm i hear a lott of reactons, titanium , steel , mg alloy..Now i have seen this 7050 T7 alloy, could it be used for making a chassis ? ( strong enough )

It's not going to be a cheap endeavor for you to get this thing going. There is a lot involved. And it sounds like you don't know much about metals. No offense. I suggest you keep doing some research on metallurgy and machining.

7075-T6 alloy has a higher tensile strength and lower elongation than 7050 alloys.

Remember folks, the force is strong with this one.

As has already been stated in a previously locked thread, he is wanting to make a chassis for an airsoft rifle.

Have at 'er, and let the games begin!

You don't need 7075. 6061T6 is plenty strong for a simple chassis style stock.

Understand a couple things first. "Billet" is a term that's abused often when subjects like this come up.

A "billet" is actually a forged piece of material. You start out with a block thats XxYxZ and beat it into a smaller piece. The idea being is you increase the density of the part, create a specific grain structure, and increase the overall strength of the part.

"Cast billet" is what MOST aluminum parts are machined from. The AL is poured into a mold and thats about it.

A forged billet is obviously stronger than the cast piece. Still, either would be more than enough to put up with what were talking about. I'd venture to guess that 99.9999999% of the chassis stocks out there are done on cast billet blanks.

Just run down to your local metals supply vendor and buy some 6061 T6 and be done with it. You don't need or want titanium. Not unless you want to spend a couple thousand bucks for material, then another frew grand for machining. TI is abrasive and tough on tooling. It's cool-don't get me wrong. Just way overkill for something this simple.

7075 is awesome to machine and I love it to death. It too is quite expensive and its heavier than 6061 because of the forging process. It's best kept for structural parts that see extreme duty. A connecting rod for instance in a car that buzzes along at 10K+ rpm. You don't need something this carried away for a gun stock.

2024 AL would work too but its even more expensive and I don't know if you can buy it in the raw form that you'd need. (flats/bars)

If you went steel, I'd just get a piece of 1018 or 12L14. You could do annealed 4130 but it would cost more.

Just avoid 304SS like the plauge. I'd rather suck start an M1 tank that mess with that shit. Gummy, work hardens if you cuss at it, and it won't make your gun any better.

Good luck.

C.

indeed thats right, im very new in this and want to learn whats good alloy and stuff so
smile.gif
im glad to hear reaction from you guys i could learn much from it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2024 AL would work too but its even more expensive and I don't know if you can buy it in the raw form that you'd need. (flats/bars)

If you went steel, I'd just get a piece of 1018 or 12L14. You could do annealed 4130 but it would cost more.

Just avoid 304SS like the plauge. I'd rather suck start an M1 tank that mess with that shit. Gummy, work hardens if you cuss at it, and it won't make your gun any better.

Good luck.

C. </div></div>

You're right, 2024 is good stuff and machines well, but it's 3x the cost of 6061 and oxidizes quickly. It's also really hard to tig.

12L14...Butter.

I've got a nice scar on my calf from a 304 lathe snake that I didn't break off in time. I couldn't imagine leaving this stuff unattended on a cnc. It would imagine it would be analguous to twirling a stainless steel birds nest all over your part.

im thinking to seak after the 6061 T6 alloy, i think thats a good choice for a chassis..Now are there any people who want to discuse this project with me and own a cnc ? really thank you all for all this info !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bart.Herens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im thinking to seak after the 6061 T6 alloy, i think thats a good choice for a chassis..Now are there any people who want to discuse this project with me and own a cnc ? really thank you all for all this info !! </div></div>

What kind of rifle you looking to build?