• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steel or aluminum rings

Russell3812

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
Picked out the scope and now I've been reading about the rings and bases. Everything I read says don't go cheap on the rings and bases. I'm trying to discern the difference between cheap rings/base and quality. Is it the material they are made from? Right now I am looking at Burris Tactical Xtreme rings. They are made from Aluminum. The Leopold Mark 4 rings are made from Steel. I am mounting a Sightron SIII 6x24x50 scope on a savage 10FLCP-K 308 bolt action. Guidance on the base would be appreciated as well. Thank you.

Re: Steel or aluminum rings

I think aluminum rings are better they are lighter and since the scope tube is also aluminum you are less likely to damage it. If you want to make the rifle heavier get a thicker or longer barrel.

Take a look at Seekins Precision rings. They seem to be very well machined. They also sell bases for Savage. Mine are EGW and there was no base bedding required. All that were mentioned are aluminum.

Thank you for the additional resource Hooker. So DFOOSKING said quality means holes drilled straight and true. Which brand would you recommend?

EGW HD 20 moa rail with their rings are a great bang for the buck. I have used that set-up on my .308 for 2 years with 2 different scopes with no problems. Steel vs. alum., steel receiver to alum scope tube, at some point the material has to change. Considering expansion and contraction, I choose to use the bedded interface of receiver and base as the least likely to cause problems.
Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike s.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW HD 20 moa rail with their rings are a great bang for the buck. I have used that set-up on my .308 for 2 years with 2 different scopes with no problems. Steel vs. alum., steel receiver to alum scope tube, at some point the material has to change. Considering expansion and contraction, I choose to use the bedded interface of receiver and base as the least likely to cause problems.
Mike </div></div>thanks for sharing .
g.gif

i like the nightforce rings, anodized aluminum with titanium in the connection system, it's tough to beat. an anodized aluminum aluminum is a pretty good system in itsemf.

Any of the steel rings will rust, and you should consider that in your choice. My location within a mile of the GOM dictated al rings...i use nf ultralight rings and have had no issues.

confucious once say "if won was to drop gun on optic, won has bigger problems than if rings were steal or aluminum"

A great ring-mount-combo is Burris Extreme Rings and EGW scope mount. This combo will only run you $100 with shipping included. Between me and my buddies, we have 10 guns with this set up, some of them for 3 years and not one of them have issues. I even run rings similar to these (Millets) on my .50 BMG.

Rings are not rocket science. There is such thing as good enough, and any more is wasted money.

I have seen bad rings before, the really cheap ones. They were bad because they were made of soft material where the rings would break when you tighen down the screws. Or the screws were so cheap they too broke! Another problem you may encounter with really cheap rings is they are "oval shaped" and you can't get good surface area of ring-to-scope mating.

With Burris Extreme Rings and EGW mount, you will not have problems with rings breaking, screws breaking, or concentricity.

If Scope sits flush in the rings (concentric), and the screws still backs out, it's not the rings fault, it just means you need to tighten it down more, and/or locktite, and/or time for the locktite to cure.

In the end though, it's your money, and you should spend it the way you like.

I use Warne maxima tactical rings in steel, and to be honest, I dont like them. Aside from being vertically split, the recoil lug in them is just a piece of flat stainless steel, easy to loose. When the rings were tightened to the rail for lapping, they were obviously off, as they didnt line up on the inside. I tried swapping the ring halves, no improvement. I put a cheap scope on, and it came off later with marks on the tube like rabid werewolves had their way with it. If they had done that to my MK4, grrrrrrr... I just recently found stout looking triple lug rings from aadmount and I think I'm gonna upgrade to them. They look well designed, and thats what I want. For a base, I went with a Murphy Precision stainless +10moa to match my stainless receiver, couldnt be happier. would definately reccommend Murphy for bases.

I really love TPS Rings. I get the aluminum ones and have had no problem with them. They haven't left a single ring mark on any of my scopes.

i am going to go with murphy precision, stainless steel. i have not ordered them yet, but that is what i am getting.

i own a tree care company, and aluminum sucks. every day my life depends on connecting links (carabiners, rope snaps, and friction devices) to keep me aloft, or to keep my rigging from failing. i know this isn't a direct correlation, but i have seen aluminum fail and show signs of wear way quicker than steel.

so, to try and save ~5oz on a 10+ lb rifle, just doesn't cut it for me.

aluminum nicks easier, wears quicker, etc.

go to your local climbing store, pick up a steel rope snap, and then pick up an aluminum snap. which one do you want to hang from 80' in the air with a chain saw?

i hope my poor analogy makes sense.

corey I'm not sure I want to hang 80' in the air with a chainsaw......period. ha. Thanks for your input.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I am getting closer to figuring out what would work best for me. Much appreciated.

It has more to do with quality of the build and the grade of material used than the material itself(steel vs aluminum). I would and do trust Seekins aluminum rings before a cheap steel set of rings. The whole analogy by Corey doesn't work as the rings aren't working or being worn. Just holding. They work fine for that. Have had Seekins aluminum rings for years and never had a problem and I put my gear through hard use. Heavy scopes on up to a 300WM and no slipping.

Remember guys, ARs are made of the same aluminum and you don't see them falling apart.

Another big +1 for Seekins. Best rings I have ever used... period!!

DK

I have a set of precision matched vortex which i believe are made by seekins. Best rings i have owned. Although my burris perp gets the job done on my 5.56 ar, i wouldn't trust it on a heavier recoiling rifle like my 300 wm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am going to go with murphy precision, stainless steel. i have not ordered them yet, but that is what i am getting.

i own a tree care company, and aluminum sucks. every day my life depends on connecting links (carabiners, rope snaps, and friction devices) to keep me aloft, or to keep my rigging from failing. i know this isn't a direct correlation, but i have seen aluminum fail and show signs of wear way quicker than steel.

so, to try and save ~5oz on a 10+ lb rifle, just doesn't cut it for me.

aluminum nicks easier, wears quicker, etc.

go to your local climbing store, pick up a steel rope snap, and then pick up an aluminum snap. which one do you want to hang from 80' in the air with a chain saw?

i hope my poor analogy makes sense.</div></div>

It's a different kind of stress on the metal. Its a shock as opposed to pressure. Aluminum reacts differently to either. It is much stronger vs. a shock than it is vs. tension. I dont dislike steel, dont get me wrong, but I think aluminum is still overkill for scope rings. It's more than strong enough unless youre shooting the .770 t-rex with a 10lb starlight scope on it. Then I would go for the Insanium-Gold-Betrillium-Zantitium alloy. COUNTER SNIPER RULES!! J/K I love Murphy Precision, Their products rock, all I'm saying is dont discount other designs and manufacturers just because of the material.

I had bad luck with Burris XTRs - scope kept moving on my 300 WSM. Switched to Seekins and never had an issue. Now I have the seekins on all my rifles. And yes the Vortex precision matched rings are made by Seekins.

What was the point of the video?

I am reminded of leveling/mounting different scopes and how the very slightest amount of tension on the cap screws locks it down so it is almost impossible to rotate. It really doesnt take alot to hold but i still run badgers as extra insurance, properly torqued those mofo's aint goin nowhere

No mention of Ken Ferrell rings. I got a set on a scope I bought (used).

They are too low to run on anything I have right now but they appear to be extremely nice steel rings..

Anyone have any experience with Ferrell rings?