• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events Steel Safari 2021

Takashi

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
After having shot prs for 2020, I'm out looking for a little bit more of a field oriented match, so decided to sign up for steel safari.

Those of you that have shot it before; any advice that you wish you knew before you shot the event?

Also, is a prs rifle in 6 creed appropriate for this match?

Reactions: ChidJ
It's the best rifle match you'll ever shoot. Unless you rely on wind call by committee and advanced gamesmanship; if so, you'll probably hate it.

If you can't find all the targets in 2 minutes, shoot the ones you found. A 4 is better than a zero.

Your PRS rifle in 6 creed will work fine.

After having shot prs for 2020, I'm out looking for a little bit more of a field oriented match, so decided to sign up for steel safari.

Those of you that have shot it before; any advice that you wish you knew before you shot the event?

Also, is a prs rifle in 6 creed appropriate for this match?

It seems like a lot of the shots are tripod based--are you guys bringing bags as well?

Range finding binoculars, and a tripod are a must in my opinion. Leave all unnecessary stuff in your car and 5min will go by in the blink of an eye. Good luck, see you there.

I bring 2 bags, a rear bag and a pillow. Some bring more, some less.

Bring at least a rear bag for the bipod shooting positions. Maybe a larger bag to put on a rock as a front support.

Do i absolutely HAVE to have rangefinding binos or can i make due with a say Leica 3500 on a tripod?

For sure can see how much easier it must be to just scan and tag the steel but I've always wanted to keep the binos separate from the LRF...

Suggestions welcome

Do i absolutely HAVE to have rangefinding binos or can i make due with a say Leica 3500 on a tripod?

For sure can see how much easier it must be to just scan and tag the steel but I've always wanted to keep the binos separate from the LRF...

Suggestions welcome

A standalone rf will work.

A standalone rf will work.

Have you run one at this type of match?

Im still open to getting a rangefinder bino set. Any feedback from anyone that has gotten thru a match like this one only on a LRF is welcome.

Have you run one at this type of match?

Im still open to getting a rangefinder bino set. Any feedback from anyone that has gotten thru a match like this one only on a LRF is welcome.

I have not personally. I use a fury hd 5000 and it is great. I have seen guys run a bino and rf. You need binos to find targets. That task would SUCK with a rf.

@enginerd have a pic of your setup?

The bottom line is you CAN do this with separate binos & RF, however you DO NOT want to. Locating targets with 10x binos and then switching to a less magnification RF is tough. We did it our first year and it just doesn’t work well. If you have to use separate pieces arrange them on some sort of plate where they can be co-witnessed. The second year we had one set of RF binos, this last year we had two, both Sigs and they worked flawless.

As @hondo1312 mentioned, "If you can't find all the targets in 2 minutes, shoot the ones you found. A 4 is better than a zero." 100% true!

I recognize the logic that in PRS you shoot 10 times in 2 minutes, so why would you need need 3 minutes to shoot 6 times at steel safari? It's just a whole other world out there in Logan New Mexico.

I found Natural Point of Aim as something to really work on as much as you can, and keeping indicators/points of reference in mind when you find targets. My first year, I can't tell you how many times I got into position and I couldn't find the targets, after just having found them while standing up or kneeling.

You'll need a good system to keep track of targets, ranges, and dopes... I can about guarantee you that you won't have time to reference a phone or Kestrel for converting distances to dope. I had a custom label created for my turret, so I literally just dial the yardage directly on my turret, which allows me to skip having to look at a range card. This isn't a popular method, but it worked well for me. The last 3 years, I think all targets have been inside of 700yds, so as DA changed throughout the day, my turret label wasn't off enough to really matter... if It got super hot, I'd just subtract a tick if the distance was past 400. Not sure I ever missed due to elevation (except when I forgot to dial back to zero from the previous stage and missed an 88yd target.. fml).

I performed all wind calls in my head last year, just using the MPH gun trick. So if I have a 6mph gun, my wind hold at 400yds in a 6mph full value wind is .4 mils. If an 18mph full value wind (which definitely happens), my hold at 400 would be 1.2 mils. This method worked out extremely well for me most of the time, especially when starting with the largest target in the array first.

Always shoot the largest target first (even if it's further out), and watch the plate to true up your wind call. This saved my bacon a lot! The wind gets pretty tricky out there with the way the terrain is.

This is my favorite match, hands down. In fact, I've been contemplating shooting nothing else except for CD matches.

@Laughing_Jackal appreciate the write up man
No problem!
And to your original question about using a LRF vs a LRF-Bino-Combo.
A buddy and I shot the 2014 TBAC Team Challenge (not to be confused with the Sniper Adventure Challenge), and all we had was 1 Leica 1600B between us. At the time, I didn't think I was missing out on much by using that method.

However, when I shot Steel Safari in 2018 with some Swaro El-Range 10x Binos, I quickly learned how much I was giving up by not using a LRF-Bino combo. I know guys who are successful going back and forth between a LRF and binos, but I know I would not be one of them. If you can go the LRF-Bino combo, I'd HIGHLY recommend it

Reactions: enginerd and Mr. F
Thanks @Laughing_Jackal totally missed the part where the entirety of stage prep is done on the clock.
How are the positions? Is there a lot of positional shooting?

Thanks @Laughing_Jackal totally missed the part where the entirety of stage prep is done on the clock.

I shot quite a bit off a tripod steel safari last year. I felt like team safari all we did was shoot off tripods. CD sure knows how to mess with you positionally. I shot a couple targets standing tripod left handed off the top of a pointy boulder at team if that tells you anything. Be prepared for just about anything.

Oh yes, EVERYTHING is done on the clock... to include finding and ranging the targets. And the targets are not generally "easy" to find by any means.

You'll walk up to your firing position, be provided a left limit and a right limit... They'll tell you if it's a two position stage with 3 targets, or one position stage with 6 targets... Time starts now.

No gathering wind prior. No seeing where the targets are prior. No ranges provided. No figuring out what kind of position you want to use. You don't get to see someone else shoot the stage before you shoot it. EVERYTHING is done on the 5 minute clock, so you need to be efficient with your time/process. This is what makes it so rewarding because every single shot is truly earned by you, and you alone.

As far as positions, you can shoot it anyway you want (truly) from the provided position. If you're a real bad ass, I bet you could literally carry a bench around with you.... You'll probably fall out from the heat though. You can try to "game it" anyway you see fit, as long as you can touch the designated shooting position with your hand. Or if using a tripod, I think your body has to be over the shooting position.

A lot of times, if I have any doubt in the position, I simply go to tripod because I'm pretty comfortable shooting off a tripod. I've screwed myself several times where it appeared I could go prone, but then once I'm prone, there's a rock that is barely in the way and I can't make a good shot. However, when I RO the shooter behind me, he goes prone, but just moves over an extra 8 inches to the right or left, and makes perfect impacts... So a lot of it comes down to experience, and being able to quickly look at a position and make a solid decision. I'm simply not that good at field shooting yet, or don't have that bank of experience to make those smarter decisions. Even though I shot a lot off of my tripod, you can definitely get away without having to shoot off tripod for a significant amount of the positions. However, for me, it was quicker/easier to just shoot off my tripod in several positions. That's the beauty of Steel Safari; you shoot it how it makes sense for you, and there's no one there to influence your decision.

At request, photo of my kit.
C245BE89-9649-4DB4-B628-45DAF648FEC3.jpeg

I don't recommend running this for a shooter new to the venue. Get a bino LRF or buy my Steiner 10x50 LRF so I can get the Sig's or Vortex.

Steel Safari is pretty laid back. You will carry your kit about 3 miles every day and won't have a chance to just pop back to your vehicle for resupply. Do carry what you need but don't carry more than the minimum because we get a few heat cases every year from people carrying too much and not hydrating enough.

The entire course can be done with one bag, a bipod, LRF binos on a tripod and water/snacks to keep you going for 5 hours in the field.

Most positions can be shot from prone so I carry a rear bag and a tripod. I use the tripod to spot and sometimes to shoot. Some of those positions where you think you can get it from a tripod can be solved by moving an arms lengh to the left or right and avoid a fucker of a second position with a tripod or burning through your time.
Keys to practice, finding and having a good way of recording what Target in the array is what distance, getting as low a position as you can to shoot from while on the clock, and swapping from tripod to ground to tripod under stress.

You'll love it. CD puts on a killer match.

Make sure you eat at Rockin Tacos by the lake at least once, and don't get the fish n chips at The Annex. You can get the cobbler, tho.
Thanks for the recommendations, this is truly important advice. It appears Rock'n'tacos is no more.
1612227791484.png

• Angry
Reactions: hondo1312
How are you guys carrying your rifles from stage to stage? Slung? Pack?

How are you guys carrying your rifles from stage to stage? Slung? Pack?

Rifle and tripod in pack scabbard from front range to Stage 1 and Stage 8 back to front range. Sling rifle and hand-carry tripod from stage 1 to stage 8. Front range to course of fire is a decent hike on north and west course. All 3 hikes back to front range are lenghty. In between stages isn't so bad except for one part of the south course has a rocky ascent and descent. I normally put all my gear back in my pack for that portion.

Reactions: D_TROS
Basic question but I couldn't find the answer on CD website. Do I need to be prepared to carry my own water for the entire day on the course?
I understand it's desert environment and water can get heavy and I definitely want to stay hydrated.

Basic question but I couldn't find the answer on CD website. Do I need to be prepared to carry my own water for the entire day on the course?
I understand it's desert environment and water can get heavy and I definitely want to stay hydrated.
Yes, you will need to carry water and some sort of nutrition. It can be a long day, so food is a good thing and water is essential. I carry trail mix or granola bars, a few boiled eggs and some dried fruit along with a lot of water.

Reactions: Mr. F
Does a handgun get used at the solo steel safari? I've seen videos of a stage during the team safari using a handgun. I couldn't find that specifically listed under the steel safari portion.

Does a handgun get used at the solo steel safari? I've seen videos of a stage during the team safari using a handgun. I couldn't find that specifically listed under the steel safari portion.
There have not been assault stages at the SS I have shot, so no pistol. At the Team SS those are some of the most fun stages.

Yes, like 3 liters for the day, with half of that being Gatorade for electrolyte replacement. The June temps in Logan are always 90-100F, with some humidity, and no shade except for the registration area where you will start and end your day.

Thanks. I'll be sure to carry plenty of fluids. Many matches provide water out on the course but this is a field type match and I guess part of that means carrying everything you'll need for the day.

Reactions: enginerd
About 90 days out. How does one exactly practice target detection?

The only way to practice is to get out and spot and shoot hanging steel. Best advice is probably look for the straps. I scan with naked eye first. There is usually at least 1 target you can see without optics. That is always my starting point as it's easy to go back to that target if you get lost. From there get on binos, there is usually another couple of targets in or near your fov. If you still haven't found targets, with binos start at left or right limit and raster scan the stage. CD is tricky and sneaky, look for hiding spots.

Last edited:
Yep look for the black straps, cuz CD, ahem, Jimmy, loves to paint the targets FDE to match the terrain. Don't ask me about FFP locations on anthills - I'd say "LOL" but it ain't funny......
I decided screw it, threw my pack right in the middle of the ant hill and shot the stage laying in it. I figured I’d just deal with the bites...I literally picked ants off the rest of the day and never got bitten. Sometimes fortune favors idiots I guess.

What’s the best way to keep track and record of the found and ranged targets during the engagement ?

What’s the best way to keep track and record of the found and ranged targets during the engagement ?
Yes, I think the majority of people use an arm board or clip board. I use one similar to what Todc posted.

I know some people (Tate Streater) who print out their dope card, pin it in the arm board, and simply mark off the distances as they find them, rather than actually drawing any points of reference or anything. And that's pretty much all they do to keep track of targets and dope. That method definitely doesn't work for me, especially when you have several targets all over the board, but close to the same distance.

Keep in mind too, there's usually some sort of pattern with the target array.... Whether it be like a diamond, a circle, a horizontal (straight across) row, a troop line, etc. Keeping this in mind, it might help you identify target locations easier/quicker, and also help for reference when you go back to engage them.

Using a plate on your tripod is fast and easy. A bag with git lite makes for an extremely lightweight rig that you can put binos or rifles on.

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_210106_01.jpg
    IMG_20210315_210106_01.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210315_210058_01.jpg
    IMG_20210315_210058_01.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 69
Question for those who have shot at Blue Steel Ranch. I plan to get there early enough the day before the match to check my zero. What kind of sight in range is available and out to what distance are targets set?

Question for those who have shot at Blue Steel Ranch. I plan to get there early enough the day before the match to check my zero. What kind of sight in range is available and out to what distance are targets set?
If they have the full sighter range open there will be targets at 100, 200, & 300 yards, if not there will only be the 100.

If you want to know how your lady experiences 4 minutes, shoot one of these matches. See you out there!

Reactions: D_TROS
Getting closer! Definitely getting really excited for this one. Will be my first time shooting in NM.

say hello to my little friend! ha

2020 SS LIZ.jpg

typical terrain. there could be a target in front of ea green bush out there. ha

2019 ss 2.jpg

best advice I have, ONLY use RF binos, have a very solid tripod you feel comfortable shooting to 400 off of, and you will have a blast.

2 things with time managament. first you have to have your stuff easily accesble. I have timed people and have seen people take OVER A MINUTE before they even have the binos on their face. you need to be ranging for targets in under 30 seconds max. you have to start the stage with eveything on your person. practice dumping your gear and having binos ready to go as fast as possible
second best, have a timer go off with

second have a timer and have it beep with with 2 min or 1:30 left. when that timer goes beep, start shooting! as mentioned time flies when looking for that last target or 2 and a simple 3-4 is a great score when you could end with a 0-2 wasting time. there have been 2 times where I have put my binos with the retc in them on a target and guy behind me still could not find it.

I do feel the match has gone too tripod reliant, but its still a ton of fun. I have noticed this last year there were stages were I could have gone prone but went tripod as wasnt sure I could clear a rock. as mentioned the guys after me go prone and have no prob. guess that comes from being burnt too often. ha.

GL and introduce yourself.

Regards
Dorgan