• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel shooting bench top?

chungus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I am building a permanent shooting bench on to the porch of my hunting cabin. The porch is made of all steel (except for the floor) and welded together. It has a half dozen heavy pipes set deep in concrete and is very solid. I am going to build a T shaped bench and weld it directly to the frame for the porch. Aside from having several gongs I can shoot from the porch I also have deer feeders I can see from the porch and could shoot off the bench. When not in use for shooting it would make a good table.

The frame for the table is definitely going to be steel but I am unsure on the material for the top. I don't know if I want to go concrete because the bench is going to be hanging over the guard rail on the porch which is 3" steel pipe and 35.5" tall and I really don't want to go much taller on the bench. I was thinking about steel as I have a 4x4 sheet of 3/8" thick steel laying around that would make an ideal sturdy table top but I don't think I have ever seen a steel topped shooting bench. It sure wouldn't be as comfortable as wood but I don't think it would be much worse than concrete?

Reactions: sniper79_98
I am building a permanent shooting bench on to the porch of my hunting cabin. The porch is made of all steel (except for the floor) and welded together. It has a half dozen heavy pipes set deep in concrete and is very solid. I am going to build a T shaped bench and weld it directly to the frame for the porch. Aside from having several gongs I can shoot from the porch I also have deer feeders I can see from the porch and could shoot off the bench. When not in use for shooting it would make a good table.

The frame for the table is definitely going to be steel but I am unsure on the material for the top. I don't know if I want to go concrete because the bench is going to be hanging over the guard rail on the porch which is 3" steel pipe and 35.5" tall and I really don't want to go much taller on the bench. I was thinking about steel as I have a 4x4 sheet of 3/8" thick steel laying around that would make an ideal sturdy table top but I don't think I have ever seen a steel topped shooting bench. It sure wouldn't be as comfortable as wood but I don't think it would be much worse than concrete?
Do it, get a thick rubber stall mat and cut it to size or a thick rubber truck bed mat.

Concretes just nice because it doesn't flex or reverb really.

It would definitely be a quicker assembly than concrete. Something else to consider is that you can add and remove to it by just welding onto it or cutting off should you mr needs change in the future. You also have the ability to drill and tap holes should you want them to anchor equipment, etc.

Myself I would go with the steel, think a while about all the intended uses of the table and then make a design that fits those needs.

Good morning,

I just welded a steel table and have plate on top. Anyone have any recommendations for coating for it? I thought about bed liner material, Teflon, acrylic. Don’t really want rubber as I’ll need to load it in my truck. Thank y’all!

Does it have sun on it for any length of time? Getting ridiculously hot is the only draw back I could see. You could always just do the steel and make a way to bolt and unbolt a wooden tip as needed. Garapa or Ipe would be ideal for a top to bolt on it but probably would want some way to have a space under the top for water to drain and dry underneath it. Seems like composit decking or something would be ideal as well.

If not in the sun, the steel would be ok I think. I suppose you could also bolt a granite piece on top (depends on size I guess since it's about 20lbs/sq.ft)

Good morning,

I just welded a steel table and have plate on top. Anyone have any recommendations for coating for it? I thought about bed liner material, Teflon, acrylic. Don’t really want rubber as I’ll need to load it in my truck. Thank y’all!
I have had excellent luck with Majic oil based enamel from Tractor Supply. Lots of colors to choose from. Add the hardener and you are gtg. I use this on everything I build that is exposed to the weather. Wood included.

I’ll check that out. I’ve painted it with rust oleum. However, flipping it upside down in a truck bed may not work wonders for the paint.

Lol I see how you’d think that.

But I’m replying not to the OP, but to @sniper79_98 a few posts up.

I should’ve used the quote feature.
I’m just picking at you anyhow.
Here is photo of mine that stays put of course. The seat swivels and is pin adjustable for height.

84380D30-DE2A-4973-9DC2-30FD4238CE89.jpeg

I’m just picking at you anyhow.
Here is photo of mine that stays put of course. The seat swivels and is pin adjustable for height.

View attachment 8026618
That’s pretty neat and nicely made!

I like that style vs the L-shaped ones. Being in the frozen north, I’d make it out of wood or cover it with wood or one would find me dead at -18°F, iced over at the cold-ass life-sucking steel bench haha!

Last edited:
Reactions: wade2big