• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel Target Opinions

jlorensen

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Kansas City
Just received permission to do some longer range shooting at my sister's place (could potentially get 700 yds). I'd like to buy a single steel target that's freestanding that I can move to various ranges by hand (literally pick up and carry), and then take home at the end of the day. Any opinions on what might fit the bill here, I'll be shooting mainly .223, 6.5C and .308. I was initially thinking some sort of swinging square plate, but also saw some poppers that looked interesting. I have basically no experience with this, so looking to those who do this on a regular basis.

Thanks!

You think you will buy just one!! That’s how it started for me, LOL. Now I have about 14. For ease for setting up, a 33% IPSC on an a frame is easy peasy. If she will let you do a Tpost and leave it, that’s about as easy as it gets though.

You don’t buy just one lol, if you catch sales you can get them reasonably priced, I think shootingtargets7 had been the best deals, there’s also shootingsteel and sometimes midway has some good deals… I think I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 inch targets for different distances

Reactions: jlorensen
Having a setup that has plates that all connect to the same adapters is really nice. I have MGM targets and they connect to their hook system. I think JC steel does something similar. Using chain and straps can be a pain in the butt because eventually you’re going to shoot the fasteners or chain off. I like a 2/3 IPSC for everything, but you’d want smaller if you’re practicing with long range bolt action setups.

Since basically every response mentions more than 1 target, it looks like I better plan on that :D. I appreciate the input, and I'll start digging through your suggestions.

Thanks!

I've had a pair of MGM Auto-Poppers which probably have been shot about 1000 times. No issues. They would be a little small @ 700 yards but should be fine to 400.

Doesn't MKMachining make steel? Why has no one mentioned this?

Reactions: 65x55guy
Regardless of who sells them, get targets with the top centered 1/2 or 3/8” square holes. Get 12” squares, and some 33” IPSC. Lots of good deals out there online.

Get t post toppers hangers. They look a bit like an elephant head with trunk held up.

You can pound and pull t posts with your targets easily. One more reason to get 3-4 of them- set all t posts and toppers at once, then come with targets.

You can pack all your targets in a sedan and take them to the range.

Ask me how I know.

I use a free standing ar550 66% ipsc setup welded by local guy to my parents in Iowa and I run several 33% ipsc on 3/8" Shepards hooks like you use for heavy hanging plants. I prefer the hooks to t posts if youre going to take them home or move them around. It also helps that it all fits in my Camry.

I think I’ve tried nearly all of the target mounting options out there and have to agree, absolutely nothing is easier than a t-post with a top mount hanger. No chains or straps or bolts to mess with or get shot/broken, and they don’t take up much space. As for the one target… and if only one… and you don’t mind the weight or can drive it out to be hung, I’d say go full size IPSC. The 30”x18” will be much more forgiving especially when you get to those longer distances. I believe it’s important to see your errors rather than not hit the target at all. A bad wind or elevation call that could miss a 33% or 66% IPSC will likely impact a full size, saving confusion, frustration and ammo. Knowing where and why you miss makes you a better shooter. Plus when you get dialed in you can go for the 6” square head area for a challenge.

There are lots of options out there. Here are a few.

untitled-__91115.1586532868-scaled.jpg

TA Targets reactive C zone

ipsc_flapper.jpg

ipsc_plain.jpg

x05.jpg

LV steel targets

Hostage-with-Armored-Base-e1363148774617.jpg

SS-2-gong-rack.jpg

Mr Target

HTTPH2.jpg

CSHT12x21TPM2DT-KIT-1-511x681.jpg

Magnum Target

31EMgxnTFwL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

41wdmuaNjkL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Highwild

Decided to start off with MGM Targets MLS system......grabbed up a 6" popper, an 8" gong with stand, and a 10" gong with stand. After doing some Google Earth measuring (;)), I'm not sure I can get to 700 very easily, so I'm thinking this set-up will work nicely for 200-500yd. Also remembered there's an ATV on-site, so won't have to carry anything!

Reactions: Forward543
that sniper set up at mrtarget looks great but the base needs more imho

My mistake when I was where you are now was buying small targets because they were cheaper , and after all I could hit them.

The Problem is when you miss ( and you will) that small target you have no idea where you missed . Also a hit even on a 6” target at 200-300 yds with a 6.5 creedmoor, much less a 300 mag is a violent reaction not the slight swing and ping you expect .

Now the targets that I shoot are mostly 10 and 12 “ plates . I have a 24x24 at 1000.

t post and hangers are easy and quick mounting solutions , but bring extras.
Unless you have ar500 shielding on the front of them a direct hit on the post will do them in.

+1 for T posts and hangars, quickest, easiest, most stable set up.

I like stuff that will ride a T-Post.

Its just easy using a T-Post hammer to set up, move, take down.

Down side - Not as much movement maybe less ring.

that sniper set up at mrtarget looks great but the base needs more imho

My buddy has one with a gong and spinner. We primarily shoot pistols at it but we've shot it with rifles at 1-200. It's g2g. Very easy set up/take down.

Also seen here are gongs I got from shooting targets 7. They've held up great. I made the dueling tree, can't remember the brand of paddles.

There are two torsos (1 medium and 1 large) with chest flap and hostage from lv steel targets. Great targets.

3LQwC5q.jpg

u8zwir3.jpg

Last edited:
My buddy has one with a gong and spinner. We primarily shoot pistols at it but we've shot it with rifles at 1-200. It's g2g. Very easy set up/take down.

Also seen here are gongs I got from shooting targets 7. They've held up great. I made the dueling tree, can't remember the brand of paddles.

There are two torsos (1 medium and 1 large) with chest flap and hostage from lv steel targets. Great targets.

3LQwC5q.jpg

u8zwir3.jpg
outstanding. I may get one

MGM MLS hangers or JC steel hangers. Both support what we do and work well. Straps, chains, and weld will all break.

You think you will buy just one!! That’s how it started for me, LOL. Now I have about 14. For ease for setting up, a 33% IPSC on an a frame is easy peasy. If she will let you do a Tpost and leave it, that’s about as easy as it gets though.
Ha! Same here. Bought 2 thinking I’d have a spare. Now I’ve got like 25 of em scattered around. Too easy to just leave where they are placed vs always hoofing it out there.

Ha! Same here. Bought 2 thinking I’d have a spare. Now I’ve got like 25 of em scattered around. Too easy to just leave where they are placed vs always hoofing it out there.
Thats kinda what im thinking. I have 2 milk crates full of plates. Usually setup home made A frames but thinking of T post in some remote locations and just leave them in hopes nobody finds and steals them. Much easier to hike out with a can of paint once in a while.

Reactions: Jackomason
Thats kinda what im thinking. I have 2 milk crates full of plates. Usually setup home made A frames but thinking of T post in some remote locations and just leave them in hopes nobody finds and steals them. Much easier to hike out with a can of paint once in a while.
Don’t paint em and they are even harder to see and steal 🤣

Reactions: Steel head
I've done it. Most people don't want to climb to where I put my targets. I'm not sure what it is about targets, they spam you with emails and adds like no other but I still can't get enough!

This thread drove me to buy a 10" ar550 from xsteel targets. It comes with a hanger. And it's like $35 shipped. I'm hoping 550 does better with 5.56.

This thread drove me to buy a 10" ar550 from xsteel targets. It comes with a hanger. And it's like $35 shipped. I'm hoping 550 does better with 5.56.

Speed kills, just shoot it farther away and use target ammo, not military stuff designed to pencil through everything. That is why they have speed limits at matches.

I have a mix of 3/8" and 1/4" AR500 plates and shoot it with everything but AP up to 300PRC. Nothing has made any significant damage.

I have a mix of 3/8" and 1/4" AR500 plates and shoot it with everything but AP up to 300PRC. Nothing has made any significant damage.
Yeah I'd like to try my 62gr loads at 75 yards. I bet the 550 could take it. We'll see. If that doesn't work maybe I've gotta find a way to down load them.