• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

steel target question

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
im not sure if this is the right section, but hypothetically with a 308 at what range would a dueling tree with ar500 paddles stop fliping the plates?

Re: steel target question

It would depend on several things. How thick are the paddles, How big are the paddles, what weight bullet, If you close one eye or not, etc. Dueling trees are made differently by different companies and that would make a differance also. I would think a .308 would flip the plates out as far as you could hit it. Even past 1000 yards. Try shooting one with somthing small like a 9MM out to a distance where it won't flip it any more and figure out the energy it took and compare that to the .308.

thanks, i'm horrible with a pistol so there is no chance ill hit a plate past 15 yards with a 9mm. i think easy way to figure this out is to get off my ass and go shoot instid of sitting on the computer and watching it rain.

i do know they are 3/8ths inch thick but thats about it

Kurt is correct, it will all depend on energy. What you might actually have a problem with is the 308 hitting the dueling tree too hard if its too close. Say at 100 yards with a 6 inch paddle, you might get the paddle to go over and bounce back, thus leaving the paddle in the same spot it originally started.

Just my thoughts.

Angle of tree/pivot is factor and can be used to adjust energy absorbed/required to pivot plate arm