• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel Target Question

acespeedy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Anyone know who makes the steel targets that come out on Magpul's Art of the Tactical Carbine videos. It looks like they hold up pretty good. I've used some AR500 steel targets with .223 at 100 yards, and the 64 Speer Gold Dots tore'em up. Thanks

Re: Steel Target Question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acespeedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know who makes the steel targets that come out on Magpul's Art of the Tactical Carbine videos. It looks like they hold up pretty good. I've used some AR500 steel targets with .223 at 100 yards, and the 64 Speer Gold Dots tore'em up. Thanks </div></div>

223 @ 100 tore AR500 steel up?? I hope not, I just bought a sheet of it and its at the water-jet cutter's place!!!

I'm in the same boat as Kane, if its truly AR500 steel it shouldn't get ripped up by a 223 at 100. i may be wrong, but im pretty sure. there are a couple of guys on here that sell AR500 targets I'd ask them about it. I bought my targets from Ryan (osuarchitect on here) and they're gtg with a 308 at 100, though i realize its a slower bullet (meaning less heat? not sure how it all works).

Mine were shot with a 338 Lapua at 100 and they are fine. A little denting but nothing major.

223 no damage at all.

We were using the following target for Action Targets. At first it started as small dents, then it turned in to craters, and finally ripped holes through it. It took about fifty to seventy-five rounds then got messed up. We couldn't use pistols on it cause it deflected the rounds every where so we could no longer use them. We had the AR500, but haven't tried the 550.

http://www.actiontarget.com/spt_pt_rocker.html

I was considering the following target, but not sure if they'll work. It's described as "The Invincible: High-Velocity Rifle Target!"

https://www.metaltargets.com/NewTargets.htm

You know it doesnt say just what thickness that steel is ..... if its just 1/4" then I can see why it got tore up. I have a piece of 3/8ths AR500 target that has been shot with all kinds of shit at all kinds of distances from 50 yards out to 500.

There is nothing wrong with it .... a guy even shot it at 50 yards with a 175snk out of his 308 and did no damage.

try buying one 4" square from either of the two guys that have ar500 steel here. $10 plus shipping. shoot that and see if you still dent it. so far no one has done the kind of damage you are talking about to either guys steel with a wide array of calibers, even .50 cal at 100y. i would just try to do the same to bobcats or OSU's steel and see if its damaged. then possibly show it to the guy that sold you your ar500

I have the 16 inch disc from metal targets and it handles 300 WM at 200 yards, 180 gr, hardly a dent. I did put 3 neat holes in it with 308 AP, by accident. It is supposed to be LC ball but the bullet is heavily magnetic. I couldn't find where LC ever loaded AP so it may be LC brass reloaded. I don't remember where I got it but it was a long time ago. Other than that it's taken hundreds of hits from 223, 308, 7 mag, 300 Wm, and 44M with no real damage, other than the 3 holes.

Give Ryan from Big Dog Steel (Osuarchitect here on the Hide) a call.....He is very helpful and makes tons of steel targets and can design you whatever you want....Hammered my 3/8" target from him with 308, 30-30, and 40 cal and it is pristine.

I've seen ar500 targets get cupped in high round count training.

Tactical response brought one out to a HRC class that was the sole target for drills over 4 days. About 20 guys fired about 4k rounds each at that target from about 80 to 150 yards and by the end of the class it was cupped. No holes, but shaped like a shallow bowl.

3/8" AR500 at 100 will soak up 300 win mag with out problems. .223 is fine unless you are using AP but thats a no no anyway.

Bigger calibers will start dish shaping 3/8" AR500 steel after a while if shot at closer ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bigger calibers will start dish shaping 3/8" AR500 steel after a while if shot at closer ranges. </div></div>

unbolt it turn it around and bolt it back on.

If I can help you out please let me know.

Most AR500 targets should handle 223 just fine. If you want your targets to look like new forever I wouldn't shoot them with 556x45, 55gr FMJ at close ranges. The jackets on those rounds, especially the wolf classic and Federal American Eagle are particularly thick. Most hunting bullets especially the Amax’s and other plastic tipped bullets seem to be great on the steel.

Thanks for the comments guys!
-Ryan
Big Dog Steel

we shot a piece of ar500 at 600 with a .50 and it really did nothing to it, bent it just a little