• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel targets for 338 lapua

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
What’ is the best steel
To use for a target gong/ swinger for a 338 lapua?

Reactions: GAl08
A stated already. AR500.
3/8" or 1/2" preferably for a 338. Distance is your friend, I ask guys shooting something that big to stay away from anything under 500 yards. Depending on your mounting system, 300 yards is doable, but it's hell on the hardware and shortens the life of your steel.
I use 1/2" grade 8 bolts and blue 3/8" rigging chain hung from drill stem pipe.

I have basicly the choice of regular steel at work from 1/4'' to almost 1'' thick, or hardened steel to the same thickness. I'm thinking the regular would be alot better then the hardened stuff. What do you guys think?

With something like a 338, you're going to punch right through 1/2" mild at 500 yards. Thicker stuff is going to get hammered and have massive craters if it doesn't go all the way through. When stuff gets pockmarked like that it gets dangerous with all kinds of ricochets coming off of it.
Hell, 223 will punch right through 1/4" mild steel at over 100 yards.

Reactions: sinister
I just replaced a 10" x 1/2" AR 550 steel plate which was showing pretty bad damage from 338+ at 200 - 500 yards. I replaced it with an SR500 10" x 3/4" plate and it showing great promise. I would suggest you run either AR550 or even better an SR500 at least 3/4" thick. 1/2" didn't last 1 year for me.