• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel Targets... which would you buy?

Dennis_in_VA

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
If you were going to buy some steel targets (now or in the near future), which shape / size would you get?

Would you get a hanger system (swing set style with chains) or a rigid system (like a post mount)?

What calibers would you be using against these new targets?

I'm asking this because one of my fellow Marines has asked me to help him decide which targets to produce. He will be water jetting them. He is also located on the East Coast which might help out the Eastern region shooters on reducing shipping costs on large orders.

Re: Steel Targets... which would you buy?

I haven't been shooting steel for long but I haven't shot a piece of AR500 I didn't like.

I have some 12" squares and rounds, some 8" squares and rounds, a few 40 and 60% IPSC targets and a 8x12 rectangle. All between 3/8" and 1/2" thick, some water cut and some plasma.

I have shot most of mine using t posts and chains but wouldn't mind seeing some pre made hanging options on the East Coast either.

Re: Steel Targets... which would you buy?

ipsc's : 100% , 60%, 45%, 25%
squares : 3",4",5",6",8",10",12"

hanger system

made from 3/8" and 1/2" ar500
caliber depends on distance, bullet weightt, and velocity

steel tgts dont like speeds over 3200fps