• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel Targets

ZombieMonkey

Can I get a liter of cola
Minuteman
  • May 2, 2013
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Looking for specs to make durable and safe targets for use with handgun and shotgun use only. I am not looking for AR500 steel, I have plenty of access to AR500 steel targets used for the rifles. Looking to make some smaller sized targets for pistol and shotgun targets that are going to be a little lighter and cheaper so that more of them can be placed out for target use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, looking for something that can be ordered in a large sheet from the local metal supplier. Hopefully something that is likely to be in stock as the AR500 and some of the less common metals are special order only which seems to drive the prices up a bit.

Going with shotgun and pistol only your options for steel open up to almost anything. I have quite a few pistol targets that are 1/4" mild steel and have never even dented them. But my targets are made as follows: 4,6,8,10, and 12" square mild steel w/ 2 holes in top. Then I take a piece of old conveyor belt usually they're 24" wide and cut it into strips to make a loop and then bolt that to my plate with grade 8 bolts, washers, and nuts. Then for a stand I have the corner brackets from JC steel along with 1/2" rebar to hold the targets. This way I can just slide on the targets I want for the range trip and shoot. Set up is 5 minutes at the most.

Going with shotgun and pistol only your options for steel open up to almost anything. I have quite a few pistol targets that are 1/4" mild steel and have never even dented them. But my targets are made as follows: 4,6,8,10, and 12" square mild steel w/ 2 holes in top. Then I take a piece of old conveyor belt usually they're 24" wide and cut it into strips to make a loop and then bolt that to my plate with grade 8 bolts, washers, and nuts. Then for a stand I have the corner brackets from JC steel along with 1/2" rebar to hold the targets. This way I can just slide on the targets I want for the range trip and shoot. Set up is 5 minutes at the most.

I've never tried mild steel but I am a bit surprised it wouldn't damage the steel. Anybody else have the same experience?

I've ordered steel targets off of eBay made from A36 mild steel. I doubt you could buy the steel and weld them together for the price that they charge. I've got some 3/8 and we shoot them with shotgun 6 shot and smaller and 9mm and 45 Acp without any damage. You've just got to keep track of them or some wise ass will drill one with a center fire rifle or a shotgun slug. In that case, game over. The expensive part is the stand. I've also got a lot of AR500 knockover targets but they are pricey and heavy but if someone screws up during a match and drills it with a slug then no harm.

I've never tried mild steel but I am a bit surprised it wouldn't damage the steel. Anybody else have the same experience?

When it comes to steel, speed kills. For example, My .308 shooting 178gr at 2500fps will puncture 1/4" mild steel out to about 400yds. But my .260 shooting 140gr at 2850fps will puncture 1/4" mild steel all the way out to 700yds. Traditionally when it comes to steel having AR500 all the way around is best, that way when said ass hat brings his AR out he doesn't turn your steel into swiss cheese. But if this is a private range where you can regulate who is shooting on it then mild steel will work fine for pistol and shotgun. One thing I cant comment on is what slugs will do to mild steel. Principle would state it wouldn't puncture it but being that large of a projectile it would have to dent it or something. Lol!

When it comes to steel, speed kills. For example, My .308 shooting 178gr at 2500fps will puncture 1/4" mild steel out to about 400yds. But my .260 shooting 140gr at 2850fps will puncture 1/4" mild steel all the way out to 700yds. Traditionally when it comes to steel having AR500 all the way around is best, that way when said ass hat brings his AR out he doesn't turn your steel into swiss cheese. But if this is a private range where you can regulate who is shooting on it then mild steel will work fine for pistol and shotgun. One thing I cant comment on is what slugs will do to mild steel. Principle would state it wouldn't puncture it but being that large of a projectile it would have to dent it or something. Lol!

Thanks.

This is not for public use. Just a few friends at max.

I do know for sure that a slug will mess up mild steel. We use a lot of A36 steel targets in our 3gun matches and every once in awhile someone will screw the pooch and shoot one with a slug. Big dent on 3/8 and holes on thinner gauge. I was buying AR 500 knockover targets for our local match but just couldn't afford the number of targets we need so I bought a bunch of mild steel too. We'll see how long it takes to tear them up.

Perfect, sounds like some A36 3/8 inch targets would work out well for my use. It'll just be Donr13 and a few of my other friends using them so it will be closely monitored.

Thanks.

I made my plate racks and full size pepper poppers out of 3/8" T1 steel plate. Thousands of pistol and shotgun blasts with no problems. I never shoot rifles at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.