• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: steel targets

0.5 in should be fine. thats what I use on a swinger, and it holds up fine against the magnums.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nyfinest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking of making some steel targets to shoot at around 200-600 yards. What is the size and thickness of the steel plates for that distance?</div></div>

What caliber are you shooting? and also what type of metal are you using? It's best to get the AR500, if you have them. Otherwise, 200-600 yards may be a bit short for 300 WM or 338 LM.

Roger that on the AR500! Tried mild steel, no matter what thickness even non magnums will crater surface. 1/2" AR500 or 600 will hold up fine, pricey though!
Dennis

I can't afford the armor plating but I have some 1" steel plates that I shoot out past 400. A 308 will blow 50cal holes thru it under that.

Don't bother with anything but AR-500.

If you use AR-500 steel, you can use 3/8" plates and they'll do just fine 100yds and out with 223 and 308. Magnums will peck it up pretty good inside of 200yds, but who cares, you just get another one.

A good way to hang them is to bolt the plate to a piece of conveyer belt strapping and bolt the strapping to a saw horse. It'll swing nicely giving you feedback that you hit it.

I just got some 3/8" AR500 plates. They are awesome!!!!! Just hang them from some chains so the plate doesn't have to absorb the whole impact.

I built this out of 2" thick steel plate (std cold rolled steel) and shoot it with my .308 at 250 yards. As you can see, the AMAX bullets are penetrating about 1/2".

DSC01939.jpg

trgtarget.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cratering is what causes splash back! That is why AR500 is a must </div></div>

unless you are shooting at real distances.

i made this from a drop that came off a laser cutter. it is just 3/8" hot rolled mild steel. it was shot with a .284 win at 1340 yards.

not even a dent or divot:

1300yards2.jpg

i love the conveyor belt idea. at our club we have problems with idiots shooting the hangers off. we tried cable with pipe over it, chain, and lots of other things. the conveyor belt or rolled rubber would let it swing while keeping it from twisting. and it could take many hits before it becomes weak.

Just move the little tie-breaking water balloon back to three or nine yards or feet in front of target.

Where?

These are all simple questions.

Knowbody knows everything.

How big does the target need to be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cratering is what causes splash back! That is why AR500 is a must </div></div>

it is just 3/8" hot rolled mild steel. </div></div>

How is the ring sound of mild steel versus the ar500 ??

Ever tried 1040 or 1050? I shoot 22-250 and 308 at 300yards and have not damaged my plate. Not much more than mild steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SP308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cratering is what causes splash back! That is why AR500 is a must </div></div>

it is just 3/8" hot rolled mild steel. </div></div>

How is the ring sound of mild steel versus the ar500 ?? </div></div>

i couldn't hear it at all at 1300+ yards. i shoot at a 3/4" piece of t1 steel inside of 600 yards that gives off a good whack sound but it gets destroyed. ar500 is the way to go for targets if you expect them to last.

I have used many different types of steel over the years. AR-500 is by far the best.

I tried what I think was AR-600 or something like it but it was too hard and brittle.

Compared to mild steel, AR-500 make a "ting" sound as opposed to a "ding" sound when hit.

In Sept I ordered a whole set of Steel Challenge plates from AR-500. Thats twenty 12 inch plates, ten 10 inch plates and ten 18x24s. The price was crazy, but these will last a lifetime.

Handgun rounds will pitt steel targets as well. This chunk of frag came back close to 40 yards and smacked me. Hurt like a motherfucker. And people wonder why I always wear glasses when I pick up a firearm.

More_Marsh_Frag.sized.jpg

At our club we have gone to using sections of retired fire hose to hang steel from.

It's free, relatively easy to work with using a good pair of scissors, and seems to be nearly indestructible. We haven't had to call a cease fire yet with this stuff on duty.

--Fargo007

Guys if you want steel targets for 308 at 100 to 1000 yards you need to check out these targets. I did the shooting on these targets for Damon. I was shooting 175 GR BTHP's at 2550 FPS at 100 yards. These things are incredible. Barely any damage at all. I know the ad says 150 GR but I am telling you it was a 175. Just take a look and the pic speaks for its self. I do not make a dime off this. For doing the test shots taking the pics and giving him a writeup I was given 2 of the targets. That is all I got out of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/308-CALIBER-6-INCH-S...oQQcmdZViewItem

I shoot standard steel plate with my .308 handloads at 500 yards at a piece of 1/2 inch steel thats 2' by 1.5' and it doesn't crater at all, plus it makes a nice sound when it hits. Based on my results with this piece at 500 yards, i think I might get a 3/8 or 5/16 piece to shoot it at 1000 yards and beyond. :)