• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel targets

dbutler

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2009
I am setting up a range on a piece of property that will be able to have 900yd to 1000 yd distances. My question is; is there a point in distance that mild steel plate will handle 308 win 260 rem and other calibers generally associated with long range shooting. I have a piece of 3/4 in thick mild or cold steel that I could use at the longer distances.

Re: Steel targets

Depending on bullet type ie; AP, mil surplus, etc. Mild steel should work at 1000 yd. for the caliber's mentioned. Take a piece and shoot it with a 44 mag at 10 yds, about the same energy as 308 at 1000.

Most 308 match grade bullets are fine at at 400 with mild steel, but id say 500 to be safe. As for the 6.5/260 id say 600

I have pitted mild steel at 550 with my 6.5creedmoor but im not sure what grade it was.

I have a big piece of mild steel, maybe 1/2 thick setting at 1000yds at the 29palms rifle club. It has taken hits from 260 to 338 LM. No problem

I like the AR500 also, a bit spendy, but it makes for repeatable fun blasting at steel, here is my AR500 elk!

DSCN0618.jpg

cid__0901101133.jpg

deadelk1090yards750AMAX.jpg

Since I am an IronWorker I have access to some Iron for plates.
2 years ago I got a cut off from a Column that was 8X10". I set this up at 300 yards. With the 308 Match 175's It dimples the tube pretty good but does not penetrate. Other people have shot it and what ever they used have punched the front side.

My 223 just splats on it.

Something to consider for plates are cutting edges off of Dozers or Blades. You can't even tell these things have been shot.

Here is a little tid bit of info that will help. My 338LM at 300 will put a dimple into AR500 steel. At 400yds no damage at all. I would think softer stell would be fine. Granted any time you leave something there some guy will break out the big guns and hurt your steel.

Dude--sweet doors on the elk. That would be fun to shoot.

Awesome elk!

Thickness is important too. Check the AR500 targets around the web- in most cases 3/8" is good enough for long range targets. A .50 may dent it out to 600 though. 5/8" targets seem to be plentiful- even on eBay.

Also, muzzle energy is a largely overstated number. My 70lb draw bow "only" shoots 96 ft lbs, but will go clean through an elk. There are many other factors that determine penetration- not just ft lb energy charts.

My experience has been that, for 3/8" plate (I don't know how hard it is, but probably not very) you need to be 400 yards out or so to prevent penetration with a 308. With your thicker plate, you are probably good at 250 or 300 if you don't mind craters.

fly^^^ pick up some AR500 steel 3/8 plate and you wont have any penetration at 100 yds with .308