• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

steel targets

donshaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Altenburg Missouri
Does anybody know where I could get plans to build a long-range steel target?

Or at least does anybody know how thick and and what grade of steal do I need to use?

Re: steel targets

Not sure, but I ordered a full size ISPC target from big dog steel and could not be happier! Arrived super quick and functions perfectly. If you decide to purchase one I would definitely check them out.

I think the steel needs to be AR500 though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody know where I could get plans to build a long-range steel target?

Or at least does anybody know how thick and and what grade of steal do I need to use? </div></div>

I am sure there are several different shapes you can use for a target. As for the thickness of the steel it will depend on the caliber you will be shooting and how close you plan to shoot at. Also for the type of steel I would go AR500.

One more think, why not contact one of the many HIDE members on the site that make steel targets. You might be better off.

anyone try the steel gong target from Cabela's I think Caldwell makes it.

If its not AR500 don't bother shooting it with rifle rounds, Spin Drift targets are great, LV Steel are also great, I bought a Arntzen Target 1/2 IPSC because they are used at Rifles Only, target and stand delivered was 115 when I bought it, 300 win mag puts a very small dent in it, 308 260 223 does noting but the beautiful sound of ringing steel.

I have bought from Impulse and Bobcat steel. Both have been excellent. 3/8" makes a louder "clang" than 1/2" if you are intrested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure, but I ordered a full size ISPC target from big dog steel and could not be happier! Arrived super quick and functions perfectly. If you decide to purchase one I would definitely check them out.

I think the steel needs to be AR500 though </div></div>

+1 for Big Dog Steel. Great product and they will get it sent out to you fast. I too have the full size ISPC target and couldn't be happier. Even strikes near the edge don't damage the steel, just chip the paint. I think that unless you have access to the proper equipment for cutting AR500 steel, you will just frustrate yourself and still end up spending the same money.

If you're intent on making your own just make sure you get the right grade of steel. I got a half meter square piece of armour plate, had a machinist drill two holes for hanging it then simply hung it with chains from an ally tube supported by two wooden A frames on either side. Works well and easily broken down and transported.

You could buy some ar500 plates online like ebay or somewhere and have a fabrication shop or a metal shop cut out a specific shape that you want. Although it won't be water jet cut.

+1 for bobcat steel, Have shot every thing from .22s to 7mags to the green tipped .223s to slugs... barely a scratch.
Got to go with AR500, if ya try to go cheap and by regular steel plates, your wasting your money!

Structural A36 steel sheet, heat treated to 52-54 rockwell works great. Make enough to hit minimums though or your price skyrockets!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.qualitytargets.com/servlet/the-Gong-Targets/Categories

This is where I got mine. AR500 gongs for a great price! Qualitytargets.com </div></div>

There are Hide sponsers who's AR500 options are cheaper.
whistle.gif
Just sayin....

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I agree that the AR500 is the best option. However, i shoot a 6.5x47 all the time at regular ole 1/4" mild steel. I have alot of this stuff around the house as my dad and I were both welders for a long time (him all his life). Ive aquired a pretty big scrap pile. Inside 350yds, it will just shoot right through it, but i don't shoot steel that close very often. At 500yds and beyond, it works just fine. Yes, it makes a lil circular dent, but still works just fine for me. Yeah, AR500 is great, but if you got alot of steel at home or local and aren't shooting a huge caliber, then shoot what you have and is easily available. You can't get any cheaper than "free".