• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Steel vs Aluminum Firing Pin Assy.

Re: Steel vs Aluminum Firing Pin Assy.

Cant answer your question, but I installed a PTG stainless fluted firing pin asm. in a sa700. The original was a j-lock. Dave Kiff said the oem asm. would bind inside the bolt on the firing pin spring, sometime causing an inconsistent trigger pull and bolt binding when opening. I was skeptical, but he was right. The trigger pull feels a tad lighter and no more bolt prob.

I use Tubbs Speedlock pins in all my rifles, they have a aluminum body with a steel tip, I have yet to have one break or give a light strike.

Well are we talking just an aluminum firing pin or a complete aluminum assembly.

If you change out f-pins, you want to go to a heavier hitting spring(for aluminum). I think someone said 22lbs but dont quote me on that.

Locktime DOES decrease(lock speed, increases). Meaning when you pull your trigger, the primer flashes about 33% quicker from the time the trigger broke.

Can this break parts like cross pins in some rare cases, yes. Can people experienced with these parts get around their flaws and make them every bit as hardened as steel? I'm workin on it.

When my pin falls on a dry fire or snap cap, you feel almost nothing. When a factory pin falls it feels like a ballpeen is tapping the rear of the bolt.

Its personal preference. I like them. If you dry fired my rifle, youd get a stiffy. No misfires.

I dont know but i have been using 28lbs spring whit aluminum firing pin.
I also have Callahan Cocking Piece whigh should be Lighter weigh then oringinal cocking piece. i have shot about 1000 round whit these and im happy whit it. No problems at all.

Maybe 22 was factory

Didnt know Callahan claimed that about their cocking pieces. I wonder if they weigh less than the one I'm using...

I use their aluminum pins, but not entire assemblies.

Pretty sure the Callahan reference is to their shroud...
I'm not sure, but maybe someone else can confirm, wouldn't an aluminum cocking peice be too soft to use for consistent long term engagement with a steel sear?

I would never use a aluminum cocking piece, and I doubt anyone s dumb enough to make one for the M700. Failure waiting to happen.

Cant use an Aluminum cocking piece.

I dont think Ti would even work.

I've considered dimpling the rear of the cocking piece, along with the modification I do to the shroud, and my now added step of shiming/bedding the shaft(explained in another thread... talking about strength of cross pins).

Don't really feel like making a new thread about this, but is there any major difference between a Callahan, PTG, or any other non-ISS assembly? I figured out I can use my coffee table to take down my bolt so now I'm considering getting a new FP assembly.