• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner 10X42R vs Vortex Viper R/T 10x50

Blackhawk 1

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I'm looking at the Steiner 10X42R (item # 650) and Vortex Viper R/T 10x50 . My required specs are, tripod ready-mil reticle-quality glass. The Steiners seem to fit the bill but have heard some quality issues lately with Steiner. Does anyone have an opinion on the Vortex? Anybody have any hands on time with these binos?

Re: Steiner 10X42R vs Vortex Viper R/T 10x50

I purchased a pair of Vipers from Liberty Optics and so far they are great. Very clear used them morning and evenings with no issues. It will be a few weeks before I have a place with distance greater than 150 yards to try the reticle out.

Been using those Steiners with SUMR almost 2 years. So far couldnt be more happy. Also have done some side-by-side comparsion against others like Leica Ultravids, couldnt tell difference atleast in daylight.

Dont know about that Vortex, got small 8x28 R/T Vipers tho but it would not be fair comparsion.
Still happy with them too.

Hope this helps

I've been using Steiner 10x42R with SUMR for a couple of years too, and they are great. I don't use them on a tripod though. Very clear images. I previously had 7x50 Steiners which were great too, but the 10x42R's are a lot more compact so I take them with me more often.