• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner 3-18x56 zeroing issue

Crowbag

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2022
PA
Hello all,

I purchased a new to me steiner 3-18x56 from a hide member recently and was able to get to the range today.

Trying to zero the scope which shoots about 12” high at 50 yds, I was unable to turn the dial any further. So I loosened the knob screws per the manual to achieve more elevation, and the knob would not turn any further. It is the possible the scope is simply out of elevation? And if so what should I do? The scope is mounted on a GAP tempest action. Thanks.

You're either at the bottom of the elevation adjustment, or you are still hitting the zero stop. To find out, see how much elevation travel that model has and start counting the mils as you turn elevation up. If you come up with less than stated travel you are hitting the zero stop.

Reactions: spife7980
46A273C1-4954-4E67-A996-4BC89B2EE81E.jpeg

You most likely were trying to make it go down which it won’t being still on the stop. With it bottomed out, follow the instructions and go up with the turrent screws loosened, then tighten the screws and go down.

Ex. If bottomed out and poi is still high 2 mils, leave unlocked, loosen set screws on side of turret, go up 2.5 mils (for a little room) , tighten set screw, now go down 2 mils on turret with it clicking, should be zeroed or close and zero it, Then LOCK the turret, loosen screw, zero out the turret, tighten screw, and you’re good.

Last edited:
View attachment 8248626

You most likely were trying to make it go down which it won’t being still on the stop. With it bottomed out, follow the instructions and go up with the turrent screws loosened, then tighten the screws and go down.

Ex. If bottomed out and poi is still high 2 mils, leave unlocked, loosen set screws on side of turret, go up 2.5 mils (for a little room) , tighten set screw, now go down 2 mils on turret with it clicking, should be zeroed or close and zero it, Then LOCK the turret, loosen screw, zero out the turret, tighten screw, and you’re good.
Well, if our two responses don’t get him sussed out, I don’t know what will! 🤣

Reactions: B Man
View attachment 8248626

I was turning the knob to the right, which it would not do. I followed the instructions on the manual and with the screws loosened it would still not turn any further. I can turn the turret 3 clicks to the right before it stops.

Well, if our two responses don’t get him sussed out, I don’t know what will! 🤣

I might confuse it more 😅

I was turning the knob to the right, which it would not do. I followed the instructions on the manual and with the screws loosened it would still not turn any further. I can turn the turret 3 clicks to the right before it stops.

Turret not locked, Loosen screws, go opposite direction, tighten screw, your zero stop has been moved. Now you can adjust it

Reactions: FredHammer
So how many click up do you have. If the scope is at bottom you should have full clicks up. If it says you have 26 mils up than you should be able to run it up 26 mils or what ever you scope has.

Just turn it counterclockwise. How much elevation travel do you have?

If all else fails, Burris Signature XTR rings will in fact fix any scope allignment issues even if you run out of elevation or windage plus they will never leave any single mark or blemish on your scope tube and never require lapping. Your scope will still look brand new as though it's never been mounted before when using Burris Signature XTR rings.

If all else fails, Burris Signature XTR rings will in fact fix any scope allignment issues even if you run out of elevation or windage plus they will never leave any single mark or blemish on your scope tube and never require lapping. Your scope will still look brand new as though it's never been mounted before when using Burris Signature XTR rings.
I ran XTR Sigs for many years. Might still if the occasion/problem presents, but since I discovered ARC M-Brace rings, shooter please! I'd be more inclined to get a 20MOA rail attachment and run M-Brace before the Sigs.

Yup, got his help and now we're all chopped liver!
Lol! I was at the range (with my father in law, which is like shooting with Joe Pesci) …. I loosened the screws and turned the turret counter clockwise to change the zero stop. I zeroed to 50 yds and range steel at 100, 200, and 300. All my other glass is vortex or NF, this was a learning curve. Thanks all for your help.

Lol! I was at the range (with my father in law, which is like shooting with Joe Pesci) …. I loosened the screws and turned the turret counter clockwise to change the zero stop. I zeroed to 50 yds and range steel at 100, 200, and 300. All my other glass is vortex or NF, this was a learning curve. Thanks all for your help.
Awesome. Like mentioned previously, I've had to look at a scope and think, "Ok, just how the fuck do you work again?" LOL