• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner 5-25 My initial thoughts...

MTETM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
Montana
These are my first thoughts after about 120 rounds under a Steiner 5-25.

First: A huge THANK YOU to Scott B at Liberty Optics....Over the past few years he has gone out of his way to take care of the optical needs of this community. While not the first time I have purchased high end optics from him, this time he went above and beyond...Working while on vacation to ensure I had the scope in hand in enough time for me to spend some time with it prior to a couple of matches... GREAT service!!

Preface: I used a Premier 5-25 from 2009 to the fall of 2012. I sold the scope because I wanted to have a thicker/heavier reticle and a scope with a more forgiving eye box. For me, an additional bonus would be a scope that could sit far enough forward that the brass cleared the windage knob and didn't end up back in my action...

The scope is mounted in a set of Seekins Low 34mm rings. On a 20 MOA base, they easily clear my medium palma barrel.

Reticle: I bought the scope with an MSR reticle. I had never used one before, but I am now sold. I really like the .05 thickness, very easy to see, I can pick it up very fast and the .5 mil hashmarks are easy to use for wind holds. I can easily quarter an MOA target. I had no issues with a 10 inch round plate at 1000 yards, or a 12 inch round plate at 1125. I was also able to quarter an 6 inch triangle at 670. I am sure the optical clarity of the scope helps with the heavier reticle on smaller targets...

Eye-box: This is a major concern to me. I want to get a clear image side to side and have a bit of leeway for my head placement when shooting from different positions. With the Premier, I was always moving a bit to get a solid edge to edge image...with the 5-25 Steiner, I have not encountered the same issue. I will note that the 4-16 Steiner has the same properties as the Premier when in the upper end of the power range, but it is easier to find the "center" than it was with the Premier.

Eye Relief: This is very good. I have not measured it, but there is "wiggle" room and the scope is mounted far enough forward that I do NOT have ejected brass hitting the windage knob and ending up in my action. This was not the case with the Premier. On the low to mid range power settings, eye relief and head placement are not very critical, as the power range goes above 20, head placement does become more critical, but it is not too bad. I am very pleased with the eye-box, eye relief. During a practice session this weekend, I shot in a couple of downhill, shoot up hill locations...these are usually hard on the head placement, full image view. I was very pleased with the flexibility of this scope.

Tracking: I tested tracking on paper at 100 yards. I only went to 10 mils of elevation and 3 mils of windage. I tested the windage both directions and at 0 and 10 mils of elevation. Elevation was tested at 0, + 2, + 5, +7, +10. The adjustments were correct and the adjustments measured correctly with the reticle. In use, the proven comeups for the load were identical to my other scope. Either they are both the same amount of wrong... or they are both good:) The scope returned to zero. I will test the scope to it's maximum adjustment range in a couple of weeks on paper.
On a 20 MOA base, I have 19.7 mils of "up" available after a 100 yard zero. I used 17.6 of it to shoot to 1575 without any issues....which is within a couple of tenths of the predicted by ColdBore.

Controls: Elevation and Windage... The adjustments "clicks" on this scope are nice and firm without any mushiness. To me they are plenty loud and tactile. My only issue...I would rather Steiner had limited the single turn elevation to 10 mils and had allowed a bit more space between "clicks". It is hard for me to see the lines on the turret...The mil and .5 mil lines on the turent are taller than the intermediate lines which helps when making the adjustments. I prefer the feel and the visual lines on the Steiner 4-16 over those of the 5-25. While I would have preferred a bit more room with the adjustments, I am becoming accustomed to the feel and they will work just fine...They are positive..
Improvement to the turrets...I would like to see all external adjust scope manufactures license the technology form US Optic and put a Solid detent at the windage zero! While it would take some force to move the windage knob on the Steiner, I would really like to have a more solid solution and the detent worked great on the Premier. I don't think it is needed on every mil, but it would be great at the zero.

Parallax adjustment..Smooth and easy to grasp.

Power adjustment...the same, very smooth and firm enough not to move, but not so firm as to be a hassle.

Ocular Focus. Works well, but the European manufactures need to take a page from Premier and put a locking ring on the adjustment, I can't stand the fast focus. I focused the scope, then pulled out he electrical tape...my solution to fast focus...

While I only have about 120 rounds under it so far, I really can't complain about any of the primary features. There are always things a shooter would like to see different, but to me the major items are great and I am looking forward to putting the scope to use.

Last edited:
I have had the same scope sitting in a box for a couple of months waiting for my action and barrel to arrive. The rifle should be finished next week and your review has me even more anxious than before. I can't agree more about Scott at Liberty as well. Fantastic communication and a real stand up guy.

The Capn'

good stuff.
couple things. could you post a pic of rect at full power?
just comparing the gap after the half mil center hash on different scopes as the MSR spec is "as small as possible" and I would like to compare to my rect.

second, a guy we shoot with had a great idea. he used a permanent marker to blot out every other hash so that the even hashes are visible. I have experimented with a red marker so you can still see the marks, but the red I think is too distracting. gonna try blacking all the odd numbered hashes out black and the .5 mil mark, the tall one, make that red.
this should help in making it "appear" like the hashes are spaced out more.

anyways, good review.

oh, and this thread is WORTHLESS without pics

regards,
DT

Dont have any pics of it do ya? Id like to see what it looks like in a set of seekins lows with that contour.

IMG_3864.jpgIMG_3863.jpgIMG_3866.jpg2013-05-15_06-30-09_96.jpgIMG_3860.jpgUntil the AM

Steiner25_zps1a0f263b.jpg

Last edited:
What was the range on the cow? I'm guessing around 475 for a 2 mil hold. I'd suggest moving the crosshairs to the left a touch more though, just behind the shoulder ya know. ;) See ya at the cup!

Geb

Deceiving... She is a yearling and actually at 660:p... See you next week!

What was the range on the cow? I'm guessing around 475 for a 2 mil hold. I'd suggest moving the crosshairs to the left a touch more though, just behind the shoulder ya know. ;) See ya at the cup!

Geb

Geb

When I first looked all I saw was the inside shot of the reticle. I did not see the thumbnails. Then I saw the quote above and I thought damn my eyes are so bad I might as well stop shooting and start selling what I have. Then I saw the thumb nails.

You are doing something right OP. Steiner and a log cabin.

udu2ahyq.jpg

Steiner 5-25
Low Seekins rings
Med palma bbl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using a Premier now and like it. When you were looking to replace yours(and I like your criteria) did you look at any other comperable scopes in a similar price range?

Thanks for the write up and pics.....

Deceiving... She is a yearling and actually at 660:p... See you next week!

I always do the math before looking down to the answer.

I had 666.48 yards as I estimated Elsie was 48" high and used 2.0MIL

eta - lol and apparently almost a year late

Yes I did look at and try other similarly priced scopes.
I had a Kahles Gen 1 and was not happy with it. My wife has a Razor and it would have been my next pick. I also owned an Hdmr and was pleased with it, but I wanted the dreaded zero stop..:)

I am using a Premier now and like it. When you were looking to replace yours(and I like your criteria) did you look at any other comperable scopes in a similar price range?

Thanks for the write up and pics.....

I like my Steiner, very good glass esp for the coin I spent, but I still like my Premier more.... Not by much, just a touch more.

Since this thread has been revived, can someone answer this for me. How does the glass in the Steiner 5-25 compare to the USO 5-25?

I like my Steiner, very good glass esp for the coin I spent, but I still like my Premier more.... Not by much, just a touch more.

Do you mind sharing what it is about the Premiere that gives it a slight preference? Always looking for input. Thanks.

Do you mind sharing what it is about the Premiere that gives it a slight preference? Always looking for input. Thanks.

Slight preference is given to the PH due to the more positive clicks (I also like the MTC it has) which is merely a subjective standpoint. I don't have an issue or ever had an issue with the steiners adjustments, but I'd like them to be a little more positive. An example: I can close my eyes and dial 8.6 mils with my PH in a timely manner, I'm hit or miss my Stiener (perhaps it's just a small learning curve). I also have slightly better resolution on the upper end of the magnification range. I've done multiple finnaccuracy test which leads me to believe this is true. Overall, I'm happy with the product you guys have put out. It tracks true (I've done a box test on a 5' plywood board and it returned to zero perfectly), glassis clean and the second rev indicator is, what I think, the new standard. There is no way one could be a rev off.

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to the new MSR thin reticle, which may be just enough persuasion to sell my PH and go all Stiener:)

I appreciate the feedback. I think you will be happy with what we have coming out in the near future.

For users with MSR, one small trick for long ranges and possibly tiny target/aiming reference is to use "L" -scale corner as aiming point instead of thicker center cross.
L- scale line weight is only 0.02mils, so it is thinner than any FFP reticle center cross hair line I´m aware of- covering 0.72" at 1000yds.
As comparison, S&B P4 Fine and H2CMR weights are 0.035mils, Premier Gen2 XR being 0.025mils.

For using it, one just need to dial 20clicks/2mrad left (25clicks with Kahles k624i MSR-K!) and use that knob position as zero windage reference.
If your card is showing 7 clicks right for xx wind, you actually set 20L-7R = 13 left on windage turret. And so on.

Also, minimum shooting range has to be enough for 20click (k624i 25clicks) vertically "shifted" aiming point. In another words- range where shooter normally would have to adjust POI upwards at least 20 clicks or 2mrad is closest range where L-corner aiming can be done. Beyond 20 clicks point, just start adding clicks as target is further- 35 click dope is 15 on turret etc.

29vly82.jpg

Last edited:
MTETM, what barrel manufacture are you using for you medium palma? I am building a 7-300WM with a Krieger heavy palma and am going to use the same scope. I think that I could use the same rings even with the heavy barrel, but wanted to make sure that the dimensions match up between the Krieger and the manufacture that you used. Thanks.

MTETM, great review!. Your review helped me to finally choose a scope. I received my 5-25 two days ago (from Scott at Liberty). Being new to LRS I would like to say Thank you to you, and everyone else for the great reviews, advice, tips, etc. I'm planning on making my first trip to the range next week.

Great, thanks. There is not much of a difference in profile so the Seekins lows should work well. I calculate roughly 0.04 difference +-0.01" so it would appear that I should have room to spare.

Steiner 5-25 My initial thoughts...

I purchased the Steiner 5-25x56 CCW. To me it feels like my elevation turret has very positive clicks in the first and second revolution with the clicks in the second revolution being just a hair more positive but definitely nothing to complain about. Overall thanks to Steiner for making yet another great product. Also thanks to all the guys who reviewed this product here on the hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: