• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner dropped on its head

k-space

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2020
TX
I was in the process of doing a hasty last minute check of my hunting rig prior to the start of deer season yesterday. When I stood up my shirt tail caught the recoil pad and, just like that, the whole thing toppled from the table and fell about two+ feet right on to the patio cool deck pebbling. The damage involved primarily the elevation turret and the front edge of the objective barrel, along with a nick on the the front of thread protector.

Elevation turret, Steiner P4xi 4-16.jpg

I held out some hope that the damage was more cosmetic than structural. The rifle had been sighted in last season, so that was my starting point. Today I took it to my 100 yard range to get an idea of where things stood. I brought a box of Hornady 140gr ELD-Ms and shot once to see if I could get on paper at 25 yards. Good there, although the sight picture was a little fuzzy due to the Steiner's min. parallax of 50 yards. But it appeared that I might be alright. Then took it out to 100.

Shot once, dialed up 10 clicks and then back down to zero, then shot a second. Dialed right 10, left 10, then back to zero and fired the third. Packed up and left after 4 rounds.

3 shot group, 6.5 CM 140 ELD-M.jpg

Tough scope.

Attachments

• Objective bell housing.jpg
    Objective bell housing.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 38
I saw multiple incidents where the Leupold Mark IV scopes we were issued were dropped on the scope from heights as high as the tailgate of a 5ton, so... probably 60 inches, with the weight of a ruck they were strapped to driving them down, and in some cases, they didn't even have a poi shift. I've seen turrets broken off, and other than the turret, they still function perfectly. We all baby these scopes, and rightfully so, but they are more durable than they seem, especially the big heavy tactical stuff. I think most of the time when someone bangs their rifle and loses their zero, it's the mount, base or screws that actually moved, but I've been wrong before.

I had a rifle fall on a tree root.drove the elevation turret down into the scope and I was unable to remove the turret cap. It's a 1985 vxll 3x9x40.for the heck of it I checked the zero and it was still zeroed. I hunted with it the rest of the season, then sent it to leupold and it was repaired free of charge.

Reactions: sawman556