• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner G2 military scopes

Re: Steiner G2 military scopes

I have the 4-16 version. I love mine and was worth the money I spent on it. Glass is on par with schmidt, clicks are very solid and audible on the knobs without the slightest hint of slop in them and the illumination is perfect. The 4-16 model does not have any tunneling at all, very forgiving eye box and zero stop is automatically set once you rezero your knobs. The only thing I can think of that could be an improvement is add a few new reticles and change the 4-16 to a 4-20 at about the same price leaving the rest of the scope alone. Currently there is no other scope I'd trade/sell mine for unless stiener came out with a 4-20.

One last thing I do want to mention is I sent mine in to get repaired yesterday but I wouldn't let that stop you from buying one. If you look around here long enough you'll find a lot of posts where USO, S&B, Zeiss and even the occasional nightforce have to go back for repair. I'd be willing to bet mine just slipped through the QC process, it happens as we are all human.

Flyingbullseye

I've messed around with the 5-25 a bunch and its a solid scope. I like the gen 2 mil. *****edit****now that the msr is available, it is my reticle of choice, but the gen2 mil is a good secondary option****edit****

I agree with Flyingbullseye on magnification and reticles.

A 4-16 is enough power. However, a 4-20 would really bring new customers to Steiner.

I just hope if they do release a 4-20 the Company also works on getting it compact. The current 4-16 is long.

Other than that its a great scope. I was hesitant at first but was shortly proven wrong.

It would be nice to see a review of the 5-25. I'm on the fence right now between the Steiner 5-25 and the Kahles 6-24. Can't seem to make up my mind.

The Kahles is the better of the two in my opinion. I've spent a lot of time with both of them.

Kahles:
The Kahles edge to edge clarity ranks up there with the S&B and other top tier German/Austrian manufacturers. The clicks on the turret feel very firm and crisp. I like the profile, it is nice and sleek because the parallex adjustment is on the elevation turret with the illumination where the parellex would normally be. The field of view is very wide with no noticeable tunneling on higher magnifications. I really like the mil4 reticle on the Kahles for a variety of reasons. The illimination system on the on the Kahles illuminates the center crosshair on the mil4.

Steiner:
It has solid optical system(IMHO comparable to nf)*****edit**** this was looking through a pre-production model. the production model glass is on par with other German optics.*****edit****. Turrets are a little too mushy for me. Not that they are mushy, the detents just aren't as deep. However this is because the scope has 13 mils of adjustment vs the normal 10 so it's a biproduct of adding adjustments.

The Steiner has an innovative turret that tells you what turn u are on ( the center column raises revealing a second set of numbers once you are on the second rotation). The illumination system is numbered, it goes from 1-11 with off positions between each. If I remember correctly 1-3 are nv settings. The g2 mildot is the reticle of choice for me in that scope. ****edit**** the msr is now available and I now favor it****edit****Entire working surface illuminates on the reticle.

There is an ARD available for this scope as well as sunshades.

Honestly for most people what it is going to come down to is reticle selection. Both companies offer different reticles and finding which you could work with best would be how I would base my decision.

Thanks for the info Chris. I will give you a buzz when I unload my 5-25 S&B.