• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner H6xi

skoal3

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2013
I know these haven’t really been out long enough for there to be much info on them yet or any real reviews but I’m interested in one as it seems to check alot of boxes for me as a do it all hunting scope. So what I’m interested in is how does Steiner typically stack up against the other big names in the optics world such as Nightforce, Zeiss, Trijicon, Leupold etc. mostly concerned with durability, holding/return to zero, tracking and to a lesser extent, glass quality.

Thanks for any input and hopefully the link works.

I know these haven’t really been out long enough for there to be much info on them yet or any real reviews but I’m interested in one as it seems to check alot of boxes for me as a do it all hunting scope. So what I’m interested in is how does Steiner typically stack up against the other big names in the optics world such as Nightforce, Zeiss, Trijicon, Leupold etc. mostly concerned with durability, holding/return to zero, tracking and to a lesser extent, glass quality.

consensus of the new T6Xi is that they are heavy but robust. Some have said glass is superior or on par with Leupold Mark 5HD. I would assume similar for the H6Xi. Only negative I've read/noticed on my T6Xi, besides weight, is that illumination isn't particularly bright.

consensus of the new T6Xi is that they are heavy but robust. Some have said glass is superior or on par with Leupold Mark 5HD. I would assume similar for the H6Xi. Only negative I've read/noticed on my T6Xi, besides weight, is that illumination isn't particularly bright.
I saw the illumination thing somewhere else also. That could be a deal breaker for me. I’ve only ever hunted with SFP scopes so this being FFP, I’m worried it will be to hard to see the reticle in dark timber without illumination. I imagine if it’s dark enough though, it might be bright enough. Maybe it’s not even an issue but I can have a hard time picking up the finer reticles.

Last edited:
I think the issue is brightness during the day, but I've not taken it out in the field. Just looked through it around the house. I think someone specified in the T6Xi thread that it works for evening/morning. Search that thread, sound like the main difference btw T6Xi and H6Xi is abilty to dial and weight. There's a recent H6Xi thread to check as well. Some stuff came out of SHOT.

Last edited:
I had my T6Xi 3-18 MSR2 out last November in the woods in Virginia. As long as you aren't in direct sunlight the illumination is more than adequate.

I actually really like the green and the amount of the reticle that is illuminated in the MSR2 is well done. I found I could have the scope in the 3x to 5x range and with the reticle illuminated it was very easy to use and quickly center on whitetails. At that magnification in low light the center crosshairs are a bit thin and hard to discern but the illumination makes it a non-issue

Thanks for confirming. I had a few evenings I couldn't see reticle well enough in my old Leupold Mk4. Main reason I upgraded to Steiner T6Xi.

Reactions: Elias
I had my T6Xi 3-18 MSR2 out last November in the woods in Virginia. As long as you aren't in direct sunlight the illumination is more than adequate.

I actually really like the green and the amount of the reticle that is illuminated in the MSR2 is well done. I found I could have the scope in the 3x to 5x range and with the reticle illuminated it was very easy to use and quickly center on whitetails. At that magnification in low light the center crosshairs are a bit thin and hard to discern but the illumination makes it a non-issue
Is it both red and green illumination? Or one or the other? I haven’t seen anything mentioned about the color of the H6xi so I was just assuming red illumination.

That's because MSR2 is the Lord's reticle

I saw the illumination thing somewhere else also. That could be a deal breaker for me. I’ve only ever hunted with SFP scopes so this being FFP, I’m worried it will be to hard to see the reticle in dark timber without illumination. I imagine if it’s darker enough though, it might be bright enough. Maybe it’s not even an issue but I can have a hard time picking up the finer reticles.
The illumination is more than sufficient for dark timber. It’s only lacking in bright light on low magnification. The center-only illumination of the MSR2 is perfect for hunting, but a SFP reticle will be easier to pick up on the lowest settings in point-and-shoot situations. Gotta take the good with the bad.

After using both red and green illuminated reticles, i much prefer the green.

Reactions: skoal3
The illumination is more than sufficient for dark timber. It’s only lacking in bright light on low magnification. The center-only illumination of the MSR2 is perfect for hunting, but a SFP reticle will be easier to pick up on the lowest settings in point-and-shoot situations. Gotta take the good with the bad.

After using both red and green illuminated reticles, i much prefer the

That's because MSR2 is the Lord's reticle
I like it as well. I hope they put it on the H6Xi as an option.

After using both red and green illuminated reticles, i much prefer the green.
Have you found red vs green matters if you’re in the East vs West?

Having handled these at SHOT and in talking with the rep onsite, the HX6 is 30mm tube, same glass as the T6 series, same turrets without the locking mechanism, and the SCR reticles are going to be included in the offerings.

Reactions: Jip4012
Having handled these at SHOT and in talking with the rep onsite, the HX6 is 30mm tube, same glass as the T6 series, same turrets without the locking mechanism, and the SCR reticles are going to be included in the offerings.
did they mention when mil reticles would be available?

did they mention when mil reticles would be available?
The ones I handled were mil/mil. When they release the mil stuff should be available as well according to the rep.

ETA: The rep actually said the mil stuff is right behind the moa stuff

The ones I handled were mil/mil. When they release the mil stuff should be available as well according to the rep.

ETA: The rep actually said the mil stuff is right behind the moa stuff
Thanks! Now I’ll just have to check daily

I emailed them about mil when it first came out and they said no plans. Good to see them changing to bring a mil version out.

Have you found red vs green matters if you’re in the East vs West?
I have only used mine in the southeast. The background here varies from dark green rhododendron and mountain laurel to open pastures to grey and brown hardwood forests. I have no trouble picking up the green illumination. It also doesn’t seem to bleed out or “obstruct” the target as much as a red illuminated reticle can when on the brighter settings.

I have noticed on my S3 that the red might be a touch easier to spot in quick, both eyes open shooting situations though, and is brighter and easier for me to pick up. Kinda wish the T6Xi had both since it’s my one crossover scope.

Steiner and most of the manufacturers don’t believe anyone hunts with mil/mil let alone FFP. I’ve been advocating for this for a long time, with the right reticle it can do exceedingly well.
To me it makes sense to stick to the same system for competition and hunting.

Reactions: Baron85
To me it makes sense to stick to the same system for competition and hunting.
Many hunters are stuck in 1993, they don’t think it is ethical to take shots beyond PBR. I do not dial wind, I hold wind and never want to be slave to a particular magnification. Many like SFP for a nice thick reticle usable throughout the magnification range, but a FFP reticle done properly can be even more useful IMHO. At least give us the option and let us choose, hopefully we’ll begin to see more innovation on the MPVO and crossover front with FFP reticles that work well at bottom mag and not too thick at top. The LPVO line seems to have resolved this somewhat and I could see some slight mods to those reticles doing quite well in this growing market.

I’ve liked my Credo 2-10x36 so far and planned to use that for hunting. Prefer to use a US manufactured scope like the H6Xi that also seems like it will be optically better and an MSR2 reticle would beat the Tree.

Reactions: Tikkaguy

So I couldn’t resist and I had to order one. Got the H6xi 3-18x50. MHR reticle, which is MOA. That wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

I have to say I’m pretty impressed. This is my first Steiner so I wasn’t sure what to expect but fit and finish is good, everything turns smooth, clicks are firm and tactile. The glass is very good, like really, very good. I was surprised.

I also got a Zeiss V6 2-12x50 (scope I originally wanted) thought I would try them both out and return the one I liked the least. To me and my eyes, the Steiner wins. It is brighter and clearer on the edges. It is a little heavier, more “tactical” looking than I was going for but man is it nice to look through.

The illumination is red and it isn’t super bright, it can definitely be seen in the daytime but not until about setting #6 and above. Once it starts to get shady though it is plenty bright.

I haven’t done much but hold it up and look through it yet but if anyone has any questions I’ll do my best to answer them. Overall seems to be a pretty solid scope.

Last edited:
I like the reticle. Not overly busy. How do you think it compares to the Trijicon Credo 1-6? They seem very similar on paper.

I like the reticle. Not overly busy. How do you think it compares to the Trijicon Credo 1-6? They seem very similar on paper.
I haven’t handled anything Trijicon so I won’t be of much help there. A lot of people recommend them and say they are very durable optics. I hope this Steiner will be also but it is to soon to tell.

Steiner and most of the manufacturers don’t believe anyone hunts with mil/mil let alone FFP. I’ve been advocating for this for a long time, with the right reticle it can do exceedingly well.
I've also been an advocate of Mil FFP hunting optics. That's what all my hunting scopes are. I've had the conversation with Burris/Steiner folks on more than one occasion about it.

Unfortunately, sales history makes it pretty clear where an optics manufacturer should focus their efforts. Folks like us on this page are hugely outnumbered by the rank and file hunter. There's a million hunting licenses sold in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan alone every year. And they aren't buying FFP mil scopes to hunt whitetail on grandpappy's 80 acre plot. Second focal plane, MOA, BDC reticle scopes still rule the roost by a landslide with the hunting crowd.

Reactions: beetroot
I've also been an advocate of Mil FFP hunting optics. That's what all my hunting scopes are. I've had the conversation with Burris/Steiner folks on more than one occasion about it.

Unfortunately, sales history makes it pretty clear where an optics manufacturer should focus their efforts. Folks like us on this page are hugely outnumbered by the rank and file hunter. There's a million hunting licenses sold in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan alone every year. And they aren't buying FFP mil scopes to hunt whitetail on grandpappy's 80 acre plot. Second focal plane, MOA, BDC reticle scopes still rule the roost by a landslide with the hunting crowd.

I’ve heard that argument and it’s definitely valid, but it’s pretty hard to say sales history is part of it when most (especially big brand) manufacturers have never given us an FFP MRAD hunting optic worth a damn innit?

I’ve heard that argument and it’s definitely valid, but it’s pretty hard to say sales history is part of it when most (especially big brand) manufacturers have never given us an FFP MRAD hunting optic worth a damn innit?

I agree, I don't think there's been much commitment.

But on the occasion when a manufacturer dips their toe into the pool, not much seems to happen. Burris offered the Veracity, their flagship hunting scope in mil FFP with an SCR reticle. Which is an excellent hunting reticle. And it didn't sell. The MOA model with a BDC reticle is what everyone bought.

The mil FFP guys don't exist in sufficient numbers to justify a dedicated hunting scope from most manufacturers. There's some good crossover tac optics that come pretty close. But a dedicated lightweight hunting optic is just a longshot.

Reactions: BCP and beetroot
Maven begs to differ, but their business model is different (direct to customer). The RS1.2 mil ffp had been getting solid reviews especially in the weight and durability categories.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Maven begs to differ, but their business model is different (direct to customer). The RS1.2 mil ffp had been getting solid reviews especially in the weight and durability categories.
Maven is a pretty small brand. And none of that says they are selling them in quantity.

I'm not trying to be the Devil's Advocate here. Like I said, I've had this conversation with high mucky mucks at Burris on more than one occasion. They cut their teeth on hunting optics in the 70's and 80's. But they're going to go where the demand leads them.

We are definitely headed the right direction. Tac optics sales have exploded in the last decade. But I don't think a lot of hunters think that design is the best route for them. So I think it's going to be a slow road see lightweight tac optics gain popularity with the hunting masses.

Maven is a pretty small brand. And none of that says they are selling them in quantity.

I'm not trying to be the Devil's Advocate here. Like I said, I've had this conversation with high mucky mucks at Burris on more than one occasion. They cut their teeth on hunting optics in the 70's and 80's. But they're going to go where the demand leads them.

We are definitely headed the right direction. Tac optics sales have exploded in the last decade. But I don't think a lot of hunters think that design is the best route for them. So I think it's going to be a slow road see lightweight tac optics gain popularity with the hunting masses.
I will say maven is having a hard time keeping them in stock. Last I heard they’ll have more in stock may/June.

I will say maven is having a hard time keeping them in stock. Last I heard they’ll have more in stock may/June.
That doesn't mean they are selling 1000s of these things.

They could only be getting them in at a few dozen a shipment.

Reactions: BCP
Bushnell LRHS?
Didn't sell eenough for Bushnell to keep it around.

I get it, manufacturers want the low hanging fruit and accommodating the vast majority of the hunting market is where it’s at, nothing wrong with that. Just wish more would give us the option, not taking a hunting scope and throwing in a FFP reticle or a FFP scope and putting on capped turrets but understanding the crossover market is a special niche and as such has specific requirements.

So I couldn’t resist and I had to order one. Got the H6xi 3-18x50. MHR reticle, which is MOA. That wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

I have to say I’m pretty impressed. This is my first Steiner so I wasn’t sure what to expect but fit and finish is good, everything turns smooth, clicks are firm and tactile. The glass is very good, like really, very good. I was surprised.

I also got a Zeiss V6 2-12x50 (scope I originally wanted) thought I would try them both out and return the one I liked the least. To me and my eyes, the Steiner wins. It is brighter and clearer on the edges. It is a little heavier, more “tactical” looking than I was going for but man is it nice to look through.

The illumination is red and it isn’t super bright, it can definitely be seen in the daytime but not until about setting #6 and above. Once it starts to get shady though it is plenty bright.

I haven’t done much but hold it up and look through it yet but if anyone has any questions I’ll do my best to answer them. Overall seems to be a pretty solid scope.
Appreciate that, your early thoughts sound promising for the H6Xi 2-12x42, with the right mil reticle could be a really nice MPVO option.

How does it perform on 3x in the woods? In other words how usable is the reticle on 2x? Do you have to search for it or does it pop right out?

The Steiner H6XI is a really good scope. Glass is on par with the Leupold, turrets are slightly mushier, illumination is slightly worse, and it's definitely heavier, but the reticle choice is arguably better. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

The Steiner H6XI is a really good scope. Glass is on par with the Leupold, turrets are slightly mushier, illumination is slightly worse, and it's definitely heavier, but the reticle choice is arguably better. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.
Don’t know which Leupold you’re referring to but my experience so far has been the exact opposite. I have a Leupold VX5HD, the scope this Steiner will replace, and the H6xi blows it out of the water in every category. Except weight. It is heavier but the turrets are much more crisp, tactile and audible. Glass is super bright and clear all the way to the edge. And the illumination is just fine, though, it could be a touch brighter if you really needed to use it in the middle of the day for some reason.

Those are my observations, anyway, from my very small sample size of these 2 scopes. The VX5hd is a great scope and I’m still trying to figure out why I want to replace it. But I do feel the H6xi outperforms it, which it should for almost double the price.

Last edited:
How does it perform on 3x in the woods? In other words how usable is the reticle on 2x? Do you have to search for it or does it pop right out?
I haven’t had it “out” in the woods yet. But from my deck I can look into the timber, which I did the other night until almost dark. I think the reticle is totally useable. Being FFP I was worried about it disappearing but really it works quite well. The center with the hash marks is almost impossible to see, for me, on 3x, but the posts are thick enough to still make out and they are tapered which helps draw your eye to the center.

Turning on the illumination obviously helps a ton by lighting up the center but I didn’t want to have to rely on that to use it in the timber and I really don’t think I will.

Reactions: Ghost231
I'm still very firmly in the "illumination is overrated" camp. 🤣

I've been hunting big game, and everything else in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming since 1976. I've never used illumination or needed it to take a shot. Most of my life, I've never even had it. I've turned it on a couple of occasions, but never ended up shooting. I can't really say it was necessary.

I think its very valid for a lot of applications. Varminting for example where there are no legal shooting hours. I just bought a clip on thermal, I think I need illumination for that? Not even sure. But I'm pretty certain a daylight bright illumination is by no means an important criteria, it's broad daylight after all.

I'm still very firmly in the "illumination is overrated" camp. 🤣

I've been hunting big game, and everything else in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming since 1976. I've never used illumination or needed it to take a shot. Most of my life, I've never even had it. I've turned it on a couple of occasions, but never ended up shooting. I can't really say it was necessary.

I think its very valid for a lot of applications. Varminting for example where there are no legal shooting hours. I just bought a clip on thermal, I think I need illumination for that? Not even sure. But I'm pretty certain a daylight bright illumination is by no means an important criteria, it's broad daylight after all.
I agree 100% with needing it in broad daylight. “Daytime bright” isn’t really necessary. Where I can see using it is hunting in the timber. I live and hunt in the Pacific Northwest. I don’t know if you have ever done that or not, but it can get very thick and very dark. It is possible to find yourself in holes so deep you start wondering how you’re going to get out. Add to that a good winter storm where it might rain 3 to 6 inches in a day and it can be down right dark in there. In those situations, you’re not going to get a 300 yard shot with time to set up and zoom in. Your shots are going to be, generally, under 50 yards at a critter that just jumped out of its bed and took off running. Needing to acquire that reticle and get it on target in a hurry is very important. Can it be done without illumination? Absolutely. Would illumination help to see the reticle? Also, absolutely. In those situations I would rather have it and not need it. But like I said, I didn’t want to have to rely on it and with the MOA reticle in this H6xi I don’t think I will.