• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner label issue

123Nick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
FL
Hi All,
Can anybody explain the word 'Error!' right above the scope's model? Any help is appreciated. Got a scope from Steiner support as a replacement for a scope that lasted barely 2 months and couldn't be repaired... They obviously re-used the box, and claim they sent me a brand new scope as a replacement, which is hard to believe.
Thanks

SL.jpg

That seems to be an error in the label printing software. Could be incorrect parameter entered in a certain field and the software throws an error. I wouldn't be too concerned with the label. What was wrong with your original M5?

Are you 100% certain that is your original box and not another one? What else leads you to believe it's the same box? A new label over another label means nothing. They could simply allocate inventory for replacements separate from inventory for dealer sales/orders and slap a different label on it for that separated inventory. Or it could be to keep record of what goes out the door as a sale and what goes out as a replacement. Having a label on to of another doesn't indicate one way or another whether it's your old box, a new scope, or anything else.

Regardless, the intelligent thing to do if you want your answer is to pick up the phone and call Steiner... Not like it's friday evening and they're closed for the weekend. It's Monday and they're open for another 3hr+. Not sure why you didn't do that in the first place instead of posting here...

That seems to be an error in the label printing software. Could be incorrect parameter entered in a certain field and the software throws an error. I wouldn't be too concerned with the label. What was wrong with your original M5?

It makes total sense. Hope that’s what it really was...
According to their support lens got loose and they couldnt repair that.

Last edited:
Are you 100% certain that is your original box and not another one? What else leads you to believe it's the same box? A new label over another label means nothing. They could simply allocate inventory for replacements separate from inventory for dealer sales/orders and slap a different label on it for that separated inventory. Or it could be to keep record of what goes out the door as a sale and what goes out as a replacement. Having a label on to of another doesn't indicate one way or another whether it's your old box, a new scope, or anything else.

Regardless, the intelligent thing to do if you want your answer is to pick up the phone and call Steiner... Not like it's friday evening and they're closed for the weekend. It's Monday and they're open for another 3hr+. Not sure why you didn't do that in the first place instead of posting here...

I am absolutely positive that is not the original box. One could even see the original label under the one on the top.

If they answered that question on the phone I wouldnt have posted my question here... just fyi: packaging brand new items into used boxes doesnt make any sense, especially when it comes down to expensive stuff!

That's not the original box. You can see through the tag the labeling of the original box which says its a 5-25x56. Also, the UPC is not the original Steiner UPC. Steiner UPCs have the item number in it as the last 4 numbers, not including the six. The box UPC should be 000381855725 for the 3-15.

I called my contact at Steiner and he replied:

"We spoke with this gentleman earlier today and assured him that everything is fine. This looks like when the label was printed in Germany there some sort of label printer error. We simply advised him to use his scope, and ignore the label as it has no bearing on the function of the optic."

Reactions: Krob95
I called my contact at Steiner and he replied:

"We spoke with this gentleman earlier today and assured him that everything is fine. This looks like when the label was printed in Germany there some sort of label printer error. We simply advised him to use his scope, and ignore the label as it has no bearing on the function of the optic."

Did your contact also answered why they had used that old box for shipping a brand new scope?

That's not the original box. You can see through the tag the labeling of the original box which says its a 5-25x56. Also, the UPC is not the original Steiner UPC. Steiner UPCs have the item number in it as the last 4 numbers, not including the six. The box UPC should be 000381855725 for the 3-15.

Support for Steiner’s scopes is provided by Burris in CO. Maybe that’s why it doesn’t match the factory original?

Wait they gave you a brand new scope and your complaining about a box and a sticker? I probably get my original box back 50% of the time when my scopes go in for repair.

Be happy they replaced it no questions asked and don’t worry about a sticker....

Would you expect anything less from any reputable company?

Packing high value scope in an old box does not sound like a good practice.

Would you expect anything less from any reputable company?

Packing high value scope in an old box does not sound like a good practice.

Really..... a box and sticker means that much to you? I’m not trying to be an ass but what are you going to do when your scope gets a scratch or ding on it? It’s a tool. Use it like one.

Steiner double labels their boxes all the time. As for calling them you better have 1 to 2 hours to spare. When you finally get someone on the phone chances are they will act irritated to have to do their job. No joke. I called them 2 times in the past month.

Last edited:
I have the T series version of that scope for my 300 wsm. The T series are made in Colorado I believe. I'm extremely happy with the clarity and function of the scope. I would buy another Steiner scope without hesitation. Seems like they took care of you with the replacement. I would not sweat the box issue.

Did your contact also answered why they had used that old box for shipping a brand new scope?
WHO THE FUCK CARES?

Are you one of those freaks who keeps all the boxes for "resale value"?

LOL.......get the hell over it