• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner M5XI 5-25 vs Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35

Splitting hairs.

There are not many scopes that I would trust over the Steiner durability-wise, but it is well documented that they are not the best optically.

I have limited experience with the MK5 but to my eyes, both have reasonably good contrast, resolution, and brightness. Both also have piss poor CA control. I would place them on par with Razor Gen 2 or slightly below, but in no way superior.

Turrets are vastly different. Very fine clicks on the M5Xi due to 12 mil revs, and there is absolutely zero slop. The MK5 has a locking detent on zero along with 10 mil turrets, but there is noticeable lash between clicks. One is not necessarily better than the other, they are just very different.

Ultimately, I would recommend you pick one based on your reticle preference and cost. For me, the SCR/SCR2 blows any of the Leupold offerings out of the water, but I would certainly not be paying a premium for the Steiner if I could get a Leupold significantly cheaper.

Reactions: D_TROS
No experiance with the Leupold Mark 5HD , I have had my Steiner M5XI for about two years put a few thousand rounds through it and it has been rock solid. My example has excellent resolution, tracks correctly but as mentioned above not great at CA.

I think the Steiner M5 has great glass. I have one of the first ones that came into the country. The resolution on the M5 I own is better then the K624i's I own.

I don't notice any CA, but I also don't really notice CA in my Khales either, which are supposed to be notorious for it. Maybe my eyes are defective...

I've had both. Now, only the Mark 5 remains. My eyes did not like the Steiner optically. It was a focus issue. The scope would go out of focus very easily and not handle heat well at all. However, it tracked true and never failed in that department.

If you can, try to look through both before you buy. But if you can't, I would choose the Leupold.

Well i actually have the steiner and i like it a lot. I looked at the leupold 7-35 in the store and to me its just as great as the Steiner m5xi and i plan on trying the leupold here someday.