• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner M7 faults

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Does Steiner seem to have small QC issues in the states?

In general, they have good rep but the m7s do have some issues. However, the m7s are excellent glass. But on training courses there have been some QC issues being talked about.

I got to see these problems first-hand a week ago.

Friend had his Steiner m7 crack its glass amid a course. It was maybe a year old with probably 2K 6.5cm through it. No use marks. The crack is visible but does not stop function, above 16 zoom or so maybe, the crack is hidden, so maybe it is in the reticle piece.

Well, he bought another one from a guy in related shooting club. Just before being sent, the guy quickly glassed it and noticed it was broken too, do not remember how. But a warranty issue anyways.

The next day I go to range and there is a guy zeroing with a new m7, out of the box.
    I help him out and then ask to shoot few rounds. We swap rifles and he goes like "Whew, your glass is pretty nice" as I check his m7 and notice it is blurry as hell.
    He was even told by the official Steiner partner company he bought it from thay there have been some problems with Steiners.

This is in Europe, I guess the bad batch is only limited to here? I do not know the serial numbers of units I mentioned but their time of purchase varies by a lot.

I ain't saying to not buy them, but do check and test them before wasting ammo/time or missing matches because the glass is in repair...

Never used or looked through one. I have read several posts on here that detail a lot of issues with the M7 line though. I'm sure others with actual experience on them will chime in anytime now.

Was it blurry even after adjusting it?
    Yeah, the blurriness faded to the sides a bit and changed with zoom but in no way it was delivering an image at of any grade no matter, what setting. You could see large objects like IPSC with it at 300 and the poor guy tried to hit it on different spots and they went all over, in fact all of the shots drew towards the center of the target.

He had a strong contrast zeroing paper which he got an ok group and zeroing done on. One guy used 5 or more minutes turning every knob testing it and gave up.

Anybody with more experience with glass would have spotted this in a second. But it was sunny day and a new shooter / new rifle so he probably first mistaked the blurriness as reflection.