• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner M7xi 4-28-56 Scope mount

hjAICS300

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

I got a Steiner passed to me as a gift. I want to try it on my axmc. What's the spuhr scope mount model would fit this? Is there somewhere I can find the info? I currently have a cheap (well not cheap, pretty decent and still cost me $100 something) Midwest industry qd scope mount that I moved from another rifle over. Just want to upgrade now. Thanks in advance

Most items from Spuhr are marked with a model number and a batch number. When ordering please refer to the model numbers.

Scope mounts are marked with a model number consisting of two or three letters followed by four digits. However, there are three exceptions to this rule where there is a total of five digits as well as some models featuring a suffix.

The batch numbers consist of four letters. Old batch numbers consisted of a single letter followed by four numbers; for example M-1204 or M12/04, where the numbers indicate year and month.

The initial letters identify the type/firearm/rail the mount is designed for:
QDP - Quick Detachable mount Picatinny
SA - Scope mount Accuracy International (11mm dovetail)
SP - Scope mount Picatinny
SS - Scope mount Sauer (for Sauer SSG and STR rifles)
ST - Scope mount TRG (17 mm dovetail)
SR - Scope Rings (separate rings for Picatinny rail)

The first digit identifies tube diameter:
3 - 30 mm tube
4 - 34 mm tube
5 - 35 mm tube
6 - 36 mm tube
7 - 40 mm tube

The second digit identifies tilt:
0 - 0 MOA
3 - 3 MIL/10.3 MOA
6 - 6 MIL/20.6 MOA
7 - 7 MIL/24 MOA
8 - 13 MIL/44.4 MOA
9 - 9 MIL/31 MOA

Note: The SP-61602 and SP-41808 feature two digits for tilt: 16, indicating a tilt of 16 MIL/55 MOA, and 18, indicating 18 MIL/61.8 MOA. First run of SP-4803b had 11 MIL/40 MOA tilt.

The third digit is for special versions:
0- No Cantilever
1 - Cantilever mount
2 - Extended cantilever mount
3 - Short rear top cover for the S&B Ultra Short
4 - Medium cantilever mount

The fourth digit identifies height:
1 - 30 mm / 1.18"
2 - 38 mm / 1.50"
4 - 48 mm / 1.89"
6 - 34 mm / 1.35" (except for on Cantilever
mounts)
8 - 44 mm / 1.73"

Note: The height is always measured from the top of the rail to the centerline of the optics. On a tilted mount the measurement is made at the back plane of the rear ring.

B suffix
Some mounts feature a B suffix following the model number. In the ISMS line this indicates an extra-long mount for scopes with extended length erector housings, such as the U.S. Optics TPAL and the NightForce B.E.A.S.T.

Cantilever Mounts
We currently offer three heights for our cantilever mounts. The high cantilever mounts (where the third digit is a 1) are 38 mm / 1.5" high, the medium cantilever mounts (where the third digit is a 4 - currently only available as as QDP) are 36 mm/1.35" high, and the extended cantilever mounts (where the third digit is a 2) are 32 mm / 1,26" high.

HOW TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT MOUNT

We have the world's most comprehensive line of tactical scope mounts; it currently spans about 45 different models of various heights, tilts, lengths and ring dimensions. We have therefore compiled this short guide to help you choose the right mount for your needs.

Picatinny or direct mount?
The first obvious question is if the mount should be a Picatinny mount (models beginning with SP) or a direct attachment mount such as our line of ISMS mounts for Accuracy International (SA,) Sako TRG/Tikka T3 (ST,) and Sauer SSG (SS.)

The main reason for using a direct mount is to allow a stronger and lower positioning of the rifle scope. If there’s no other need for a Picatinny rail we generally recommend direct mounts on these rifles.

Height
The height of our mounts is always measured from the top of the Picatinny rail (or the receiver for direct mounts) to the center of the scope. In the case of a tilted mount the measurement is made at the back plane of the rear ring.

So which height do you need? First off you need to know the outer diameter of your objective. Please note that "3-12x56" does not mean that the scope has an outer objective diameter of 56 mm - only that the objective lens is 56 mm in diameter. Different scopes have different outer diameters for the same lens diameters and it's not uncommon that different models from the same manufacturer feature different outer diameters even if the lens diameter is the same.

Take the measurement above and divide it by two (2) to get the theoretical minimum height required if the optics will be mounted onto a flat rail that extends to and/or past the objective bell. This theoretical minimum height is theoretical for a reason. If the objective has a 62 mm outer diameter and you choose a 31 mm high mount the objective will be in contact with the rail. You will therefore need to add to the theoretical minimum height to get the practical minimum height.

So how much do you need to add? That depends on your personal preference and on what kind of lens caps etc., you want to use. Also, if you want to use a tilted mount/base you will need to add additional clearance.

If you intend to mount the optics onto a bolt action rifle with Picatinny base you can often use a lower mount than the theoretical minimum height above. Just subtract the height of the base from the theoretical minimum height mentioned above. Depending on barrel contour you might be able to go even lower. But don't forget to leave some clearance for lens caps and/or sunshades!

Tilt
Tilted mounts are necessary when shooting at very long distances. We generally recommend as little tilt as possible as large amounts of tilt really may have a negative impact on the quality of the sight picture. In most cases 6-9 MIL (20-30 MOA) will have no negative impact on picture quality while still providing greater available adjustment range for long-range shooting.

To allow for the greatest available range of adjustment choose a mount with a tilt that is half of the scope’s range of elevation. For example Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 have a maximum elevation adjustment of 26 MIL (93 MOA,) you should therefore choose a mount with 13 MIL (45 MOA) in tilt. Doing so assures that you are able to adjust the sight out to very long distances.

However, when mounted in this extreme elevation it’s common to experience optical defects such as a oval pictures when shooting at near targets, etc. We therefore recommend that when fitting a large elevation scope (such as 26 MIL/93 MOA) on a .308 rifle that will only be used out to 1000 meters, to choose a 6 MIL/20 MOA tilt as it’s more than sufficient for that use.

Please note that using a degree of tilt that is more than half of the scope's elevation adjustment will make it impossible to zero your rifle at 100!

Night vision/thermal compatibility
When combining the scope with a clip-on system such as PVS22 or NSV 80, to name a few, the height of the mount is not important. Also the instrument doesn’t have to be perfectly in line with the scope.

If we have an offset of 10 mm in height betwen the primary optic and the NV clip-on the change in point of impact will be 10 mm on 100 meters as well as 10 mm on 300 and 1000 meters; thus the point of impact change is fully parallel.

Therefore it’s often unnecessary to have extremely high mounts just to facilitate in-line mounting of a clip-on systems. Various systems allow varying degrees of angular difference. A common maximum angular difference is 2 degrees. If you do want a perfect alignment we do offer the A-700 Clip-On Adapter that will fit onto any of our SP-***1 and SP-***2 mounts.

Please consult the manufacturer of the thermal device before you make expensive alterations to your gear

***That’s a good scope, I’d like to get one too

***Call Mile High, they can help you and are the main dealer in the U.S.

I like to get 1.5” Height Spuhr Mounts for NV Clip-ons alignment centered if you use or might in the future for NV, (usually thermal or PVS-30, etc., has a 1.535” Height above rail to optic center, not all tho) with 20 MOA Spuhr ...for Standard LR shooting if there’s no MOA in your rail?

If there is MOA in your rail, just minus that to your desired MOA in your Spuhr mount...and in your case, of course a 34mm tube Spuhr

Also,

This is one of the many reasons I love the Spuhr mounts...you can zero in on exactly what you want/need with all their different Height and MOA/MIL versions of the essentially the same mount and you have many additional accessory mounting options as well. I think overall they’re fantastic mounts

Since they recommend a 40moa mount for the M7XI the 4302 spuhr ( 3mil/10moa ) will work with it well since your AXMC has 30moa rail already .
( the only thing is you might be pushing shit with the scope caps nearly touching the forend )
you could go a taller mount with with 1.73" 4008 ( 0mil/0moa ) instead of the 1.5" 4302

Last edited:
Reactions: hjAICS300
I’m curious , how comes not many people using these Steiner ? I’m playing around with it And I thought it’s a pretty darn good scope . The glass is really good , probably at S&B if not better . The turret is not bad either . I got the Tremor 3 , it’s a gift from my summer Santa as I always want to try Tremor 3. The reticle is a bit busy for me but it’s all good.

Is it because Steiner got the bad rep from the TX5i scope line with turret issue so people stay away from it ?

Or price ? If I have to pay for a scope between $3500-$4000 , I will get another Tangent Theta lol

Reactions: scoleman2446