• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner M7Xi 4-28x56

just browsing

overkill is underrated
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    NE PA
    Starting to hear rumblings that the new M7Xi 4-28x56 (non-IFS models) are due to start shipping before the end of the year. Just wanted to start a thread so as guys start receiving them they can post up thoughts/comparisons/etc.

I have an MSR2 on order but will be surprised if I see it before 2019.

Anyone have one in hand or been able to play with one yet? Really interested to see how they are comparing to some of the other Alphas.

Interested myself. They so far on paper look to be a great design all around. I've stated before if Steiner can duplicate in this new scope the same image quality or better they had in the 16X and continue the same build in the Mx5i line so long as they don't price themselves out of the market Leupold style they will be golden.

Maybe Ilya can chime in if he has any hands on experience with these yet.

In case anyone sees this and knows: any hearsay on total internal elevation travel in this thing?

Hopefully it's similar to the M5xi 3-15x50 and has a nice range of total travel. That one has like 52mils of adjustment available!

Excited to see one that can take cold weather, lol!

I got this from my Rep recently:

A quick summary of the key features for the M7Xi are as follows:

• SHORT OVERALL LENGTH for clip-on

devices (e.g. thermal imaging or night vision

devices)

• PRECISE WINDAGE/ELEVATION

ADJUSTMENT is easy and accurate for

repeated accuracy, with tactile click-by-click

feedback you can hear and feel.

• OPTIMIZED TUBE AND KNOB

CONFIGURATION for more mounting options

and optimum performance with different rifles

and added equipment.

• WATERPROOF/FOGPROOF durable

construction you can trust to stand up to any

cold or wet condition. Waterproof to depths of

20 meters (66 feet).

• SHOCKPROOF and rugged enough to

withstand impact testing to 900 Gs on all

optical and electronic components.

Reactions: jafo96
    Retail pricing looks to be about the same as the M5Xi depending on reticle selection, but actual cost is considerably below that depending on when/who you buy from. On paper, it definitely looks like it should be a winner.

Regarding elevation travel, I *heard* 26-30 mils, which would be on par with the current M5Xi and other comparable 34mm optics, though I would not say it was from a super reliable source.

On the M7XI
    ELEVATION RANGE @ 100 M 260 cm / 26 mils
    WINDAGE RANGE @ 100 M ± 60cm / 6 mils

Hi Doug, thanks for that.

I saw that on the spec sheet, but it seems Steiner isn't doing themselves any favors by conflating the two values. I think - but am looking for correction - that the 26mils is strictly a turret-limited amount that is different from the total travel available. IE on the M5xi, it is also turret-limited, but if you were to say put it on a rifle with a 0moa rail, with the scope erector tube centered in the middle of its travel, you would still have 26 mils of dial-able elevation because the M5xi (3-15 at least) was reputed to have a whopping 52 mils of total erector travel in the whole scope.

If that makes sense. Most makers like S&B, TT, etc have turret limiters but still have more total internal travel available, like the TT315P with 34 mils of internal travel, while the turrets are only what, 28 or something? I'd have to check, but that's the idea.

Hopefully Steiner didn't make the M7xi have only 26 mils in the whole scope, otherwise on a 0moa rail it would have what, like 13 mils?

The M7Xi is already available in the European markets. I just received my one two weeks ago. Last weekend I had been able to comapre it side by side with Kahles K525 and the PM 5-25x56. All three scopes are on an excellent optical level, however the M7Xi slightly better on the optical performance. Very clear picture with an extremely good contrast. Together with the very short design and the 7x magnifications, it is really a game changer. In my opinion the best scope on the market!!!

Here's a comparison chart of a bunch of long range scopes (not all, but a bunch)

1539118416013.png

The M7Xi is already available in the European markets. I just received my one two weeks ago. Last weekend I had been able to comapre it side by side with Kahles K525 and the PM 5-25x56. All three scopes are on an excellent optical level, however the M7Xi slightly better on the optical performance. Very clear picture with an extremely good contrast. Together with the very short design and the 7x magnifications, it is really a game changer. In my opinion the best scope on the market!!!

Your post got me so intrigued I gave in and called Steiner USA tech support. To their credit, got right through and spoke to a fella in tech. He claimed that the entire scope has only 26 mils in it. Although I'm not sure I'm really phrasing my question right, as I went through this on the M5xi before one of the guys at Steiner finally looked into it and found there are actually 52mils in the whole scope.

I must admit I'm somewhat surprised given that Steiner's other offerings have at least some "overfill" of elevation, so to speak.
    As an example, in that chart wjm308 posted the TT525P on their own website shows a total adjustment range of 30mils, with a working elevation of 28 mils, meaning on a 20moa mount you'd only have ~21mils available: so why have a turret limiter in the first place?

Obviously I've got a lot left to learn about why scopes are designed the way they are... :oops:

My apologies for the sidetrack, gentlemen. Just wanted to post the info from Steiner.

The elevation issue is kinda tough to explain to someone without being able to show them... so I would withhold any judgements until a few guys get them in hand and can physically test them to see. I understand that the turrets are different by design, but I can’t imagine they would go away from that principle entirely with this new M7Xi.

What I will say is that the M5Xi is said to be optimized for use with a 45 MOA base... I’m not sure the origins of this claim, but I’ve heard it from more than a few people. As I understand it, the erector/optical design is optimized when used in tandem with that amount of built-in elevation. Either way, 26 mils is about average for scopes in this realm, so assuming that you have that much usable elevation, that should be more than enough for most.

26 mils is plenty with a 20 moa / 6 mil mount. Assuming you are pretty close zeroing at 100. With the 6 mil mount or base you will have 19 mils of come up.

26 mils is the total up and down combined. So that would mean you could come up 13 mils, or down 13 mils. Adding a base or mount with 6 mils or whatever, will just put that total on your upwards adjustment. So you would have 19 up, and 7 down.

My Minox ZP5's zeroed on a few guns all have about 17-20 mils of upwards elevation range. Plenty for anything I'll be doing.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Glassaholic
    I think this M7xi will make a big splash. For the price, it was hard for me not to snag one up on preorder to give it a go. If it's what its cracked up to be, it's going to pull some business from the Kahles, Minox, Vortex, S&B crowd. Not sure it's meant to be a Tangent Theta but we'll see how it compares. I'm excited about the offering and have no reservations running Steiner.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
    Definitely not concerned about Steiner in the least, though the pricing structure of their product lines is somewhat strange.

As I understand it, the M7Xi is supposed to be the successor (and superior to) the M5Xi, though looking at retail prices it would seem the M5Xi is still priced higher. I’m not sure that really means anything as they are both $3k+, just seems that it would be the other way around with a new flagship optic coming to market and one that’s been around for years.

I will be interested to see how the glass compares to the M5Xi as I think that’s what really prevented it from taking off.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
    Yes I agree that overall it does seem optimised and I do like the magnification range.
    One thing I did notice is that it does not appear to use that floating ring rev indicator like the m5xi and instead has a button on top of the turret.
    I am curious if that was for reliability or tactile reasons, just a random thought.

Hi Doug, thanks for that.

I saw that on the spec sheet, but it seems Steiner isn't doing themselves any favors by conflating the two values. I think - but am looking for correction - that the 26mils is strictly a turret-limited amount that is different from the total travel available. IE on the M5xi, it is also turret-limited, but if you were to say put it on a rifle with a 0moa rail, with the scope erector tube centered in the middle of its travel, you would still have 26 mils of dial-able elevation because the M5xi (3-15 at least) was reputed to have a whopping 52 mils of total erector travel in the whole scope.

If that makes sense. Most makers like S&B, TT, etc have turret limiters but still have more total internal travel available, like the TT315P with 34 mils of internal travel, while the turrets are only what, 28 or something? I'd have to check, but that's the idea.

Hopefully Steiner didn't make the M7xi have only 26 mils in the whole scope, otherwise on a 0moa rail it would have what, like 13 mils?

On my MX5 with a zero MOA base had around 16 MILs. I'm running a 20 MOA rail now and have about 22. Truth be told 16 more than enough for most shooters. 16 Mils will get me to 1500 yards in my current 260 setup. I added the 20 MOA to get me to a mile. Most shooter will never shoot past 1500 yards.

Reactions: Tunnuh
    Definitely not concerned about Steiner in the least, though the pricing structure of their product lines is somewhat strange.

As I understand it, the M7Xi is supposed to be the successor (and superior to) the M5Xi, though looking at retail prices it would seem the M5Xi is still priced higher. I’m not sure that really means anything as they are both $3k+, just seems that it would be the other way around with a new flagship optic coming to market and one that’s been around for years.

I will be interested to see how the glass compares to the M5Xi as I think that’s what really prevented it from taking off.

My theory on this was that the M5Xi, being a new 5-25 was competing in a tight market againt established scopes and it was on the more expensive side of the 5-25s. While the M7Xi is shorter and has a nice magnification range to set it appart and a lower price point to make it a bit more appealing for potential customers, to get traction with brand name etc.

Yes I agree that overall it does seem optimised and I do like the magnification range.
    One thing I did notice is that it does not appear to use that floating ring rev indicator like the m5xi and instead has a button on top of the turret.
    I am curious if that was for reliability or tactile reasons, just a random thought.

Yes they did revise the turret system. The newer ones seem to have a lower profile while retaining the same functionality. I know that a lot of people like the 2nd rev indicator on the M5, however for me it was a minute issue as I am rarely in the second rev with my match rifle to begin with. The rev indicator on the M7 will still prevent you from getting lost in rotation.

My theory on this was that the M5Xi, being a new 5-25 was competing in a tight market againt established scopes and it was on the more expensive side of the 5-25s. While the M7Xi is shorter and has a nice magnification range to set it appart and a lower price point to make it a bit more appealing for potential customers, to get traction with brand name etc.

It’s possible. My thinking is that if they’re able to take the ruggedness/durability of the M5, and incorporate an improved optical platform (4-28 vs. 5-25), they will have a winner so long as the glass is on the same level as your NF, Minox, Kahles, etc.

I can't see it being less rugged then the M5xi. This optic is advertized as an upgrade over it and I fully expect it to be so in every way. Glass included.

Interested myself. They so far on paper look to be a great design all around. I've stated before if Steiner can duplicate in this new scope the same image quality or better they had in the 16X and continue the same build in the Mx5i line so long as they don't price themselves out of the market Leupold style they will be golden.

Maybe Ilya can chime in if he has any hands on experience with these yet.

I have not had any hands on time with it. I am sorta holding off looking at scope in this class until ZCO and TT's new reticle are here. Between those two, the M7Xi and maybe one more established option, it will be definitely be worth my time to do a thorough work-up.

ILya

Reticles offered: MSR, MSR2, Tremor 3 and G2B... at least for PRS style shooting not the most popular ones. Not my favorite reticle choice either. Based on this alone I would not pick it over the previously mentioned brands/models, although their Military line has a very good reputation. By the way in my book appropriate tracking and reliability in this price range are expected and a given... so that I would not praise a $3K plus scope bc it does what is supposed to... just my $0.02

Reactions: 338LMAI
    MSR2 should be very well-suited for PRS style shooting. MSR is/has always been relatively popular, and with the recent refresh I fully expect it to be even more so.

Some guys like Christmas trees, others (myself included) find them less useful. Just comes down to personal preference.

Steiner is saying mid-late December for orders to start shipping here in the U.S. If I see mine by January I’ll be happy.

I heard that from Doug at Cameraland and a few other sources also but also heard it would be shipping to the US shortly after they hit the Euro market. When that short time period is, I don't know but either way, initial reports seem very positive and I'm looking forward to them getting here too. Finn Accuracy had a lot of good things to say about them.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
    I like the MSR 2 and I have a soft spot for Steiner. I'll probably be looking around for one of these when the time comes to upgrade.

The M7Xi with the MSR 2 is just amazing. Best combination ever.
    I've had an M5Xi with MSR2 for the last week or so. It's still unmounted, but I've had a great time milling objects and just looking at the world through it. Were you able to directly compare the M7Xi to the M5Xi?

I’m not seeing any mention of locking turrets so I’m assuming that’s a no go.

Bummer, that’s the only thing I don’t like about my M5xi.

I heard from Steiner representant that it was what people wanted.

Just got information from Finnaccuracy, the scope has 26 mils of turret travel, but 30 mils of total internal travel. Thought I'd pass it on to you guys.

Also saw that the turrets are locking from a couple different places. Knowing how well the M5’s turrets were liked, I fully expect the M7’s to be even better.

On another note, does anyone know if the CW turrets shown in most pictures are just an EU feature? CCW being more popular here in the states? I can’t imagine they would only make the one model but I wasn’t asked to specify when I ordered mine.

Also saw that the turrets are locking from a couple different places. Knowing how well the M5’s turrets were liked, I fully expect the M7’s to be even better.

On another note, does anyone know if the CW turrets shown in most pictures are just an EU feature? CCW being more popular here in the states? I can’t imagine they would only make the one model but I wasn’t asked to specify when I ordered mine.

Good catch. I was not asked either but I fully expect it to come CCW as my M5xi did.

When you max out the elevation, does the image get cut off on the bottom?

Does it have locking turrets?

Yes, locking turrets.

FOV looks good, ~29.25 feet at 100m on 4x. Hope it has a good eyebox.

Thank you for those links Bandit, in the bottom of the steiner PDF the small print reads:
    "All products are available on request with locking turrets and tactile clicks . Specifications subject to change without notice."

This tells me that locking turrets are "optional" and not standard. Be nice if we could get some clarification from someone at Steiner, @GeoffatBurris might have some insight?

Thank you for those links Bandit, in the bottom of the steiner PDF the small print reads:
    "All products are available on request with locking turrets and tactile clicks . Specifications subject to change without notice."

This tells me that locking turrets are "optional" and not standard. Be nice if we could get some clarification from someone at Steiner, @GeoffatBurris might have some insight?

If nothing else, I am curious as to what the alternative is to ‘tactile clicks?’ I am not sure that locking turrets are going to be standard on the M7, but seeing that it’s lumped in with tactile clicks makes it seems like they might be.

Could definitely use some clarification. Will see if I can get one of their CS reps on the phone and ask.

All4shooters said they had locking turrets on the one they tested in the link I posted above. I also believe Geoff confirmed they'd come with locking turrets several months back and so did whomever runs steiners social media.

Being that Steiner hasn't done much updating on info and the specs they posted on Steiner defense are old, id take it wrh grain of salt.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    Either way I'll be happy. I prefer without. But not a deal breaker either way. I was also trying to figure out if it was coming with flip caps. Didn't see anything mentioned.

Either way I'll be happy. I prefer without. But not a deal breaker either way. I was also trying to figure out if it was coming with flip caps. Didn't see anything mentioned.

I think Finnaccuracy said it comes with the same caps the M5Xi series came with

Reactions: MOUNTIC