• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner Military 4-16x50 FFP or a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 SFP

Nutro

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Austin, Texas
I know the Steiner is FFP and the ATACR is SFP and I don't know which one I like more just yet.

Steiner has the Illuminated Gen II Mildot and ATACR has the Illuminated Mil-R reticle.

Assuming the ATACR is $300 more, what do you select?

Steiner if you are doing any sort of dynamic shooting. If so, I consider FFP damn close to mandatory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
What you using it for?

What you using it for?

To be honest, shooting paper and hogs on either a 20" 308 bolt gun or a .308 AR. I think I like the ATACR more for the baddassery look than anything practical. I had a SWFA 5-20HD and loved it but sold it to buy a Steiner. I think I prefer the FFP but I don't mine SFP either.

Most of the shooting will be 100-800yds with a bulk of it being under 500yds. I am guilty of overscoping so the usable range isn't horribly important to me.

I would get the Steiner or keep the Steiner if you already have it.

So you are walking along hunting hogs. You spot one at about 320 yards. Your ATACR is zeroed for 100 yards. You know your drop is about 1 mil at that distance. Your scope is set at the lowest magnification because you weren't sure how close your target would be when you encountered it. You now have several choices: first, you can dial one mil of dope to make the shot; second you can turn the magnification up to 25 so that you use the reticle to hold over, or you can use good old fashion "Kentucky Windage" and hope for the best. If you are using the Steiner set at the same magnification you simply hold over one mil and make the shot. I know that some people will say that they cannot see their G2mildots reticles well enough at low power settings for hold overs. I don't seem to have the same problem. Even if you have to turn it up to say 8x, your field of view will be much better than the ATACR at 25x. I used to use SFP scopes, and made the mistake of buying an FFP scope with mil adjustments and a mil reticle. Now all of my scopes are FFP mil/mil. I would Choose the Steiner.

I personally will never buy a high magnification (over 10x) SFP scope again.

We have a brand new Cabela's near Highlands Ranch here in Colorado, stopped by yesterday on my way home. They have some decent tactical scopes, one of them was the Nightforce ATACR which was getting a lot of interest. We can debate the issues with looking through scopes inside of stores and I generally don't try to make judgements based on looking at the far wall of the store, you really need a good mount and be able to hold it steady, use it in different lighting situations, yada yada yada. That disclaimer being said, I must admit that I was not impressed with the optics (now given real life situation on the range/in the field I might have a different opinion), in fact, the NF 3.5-15 I looked through seemed to be a bit brighter and the Swaro 5-25 had the most impressive glass for the cheesy inside the store reviews... why oh why does Swarovski not make a tactical line! Let me clarify what I mean by "not impressed", I'm not saying that your $300 NC Star could compare, what I mean is that for a $2000+ scope I was expecting better optical performance, I think there are better optics in this price range, but again, this is only my opinion based on an in store evaluation.

I don't know about the Steiner but 2G5MK makes an excellent point with the FFP vs. SFP issue. I'm not going to bash SFP because I love my Zeiss Rapid Z 800 on my 308, but I'm becoming a convert to FFP reticles. Yes, at low magnification the FFP may be a struggle but still somewhat usable depending on the reticle itself; however, I find the SFP reticles limited when trying to make quick decisions.

I cannot comment on the Steiner so others will have to do so, but I can vouch for Scott at Liberty Optics, he is first rate!

Last edited:
Swarovski's Tactical Line is called Kahles ...

Swarovski used to make tactical scopes, but then they bought Kahles. So that brand covers the tactical side of things for them.

Kahles glass comes from Swarovski, as well the anodizing is done at Swarovski, everything else is in house.