• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner Military 5-25 Pictures and Video

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
I've got a 5-25 Steiner to play with and haven't gotten it out to the range yet, I plan to shoot it late this week so a review will follow after that. Overall impressions of the scope are good, it's very close in size to the S&B 5-25 and weighs about 3-4 oz less. Like the Kahles, having the illumination control on the turret housing could make this scope more friendly for lefties and those who require more rear ring flexibility than the S&B gives.

I was really surprised by the second turn indicator, wasn't expecting that so I took a little video to show it off. Sorry about the heater running in the back ground. More real details to come, but here is a short video and some pictures for a teaser.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMacbWxZ7NQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMacbWxZ7NQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

2n2gpi.jpg

nyh275.jpg

33w0dxx.jpg

Re: Steiner Military 5-25 Pictures and Video

So what's your opinion of the glass comparative to the Schmidt?

That second turn indicator is awesome. WOW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what's your opinion of the glass comparative to the Schmidt? </div></div>

Same, just cost less.

Jason I'm sure you'll love the 5-25 and nice video. What reticle did you go with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That second turn indicator is awesome. WOW</div></div>

I know!! The first time I spun the knob that far I was like "what the hell was that" had to spin back and forth a half dozen times before the novelty even started to fade. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what's your opinion of the glass comparative to the Schmidt?</div></div>

No comment yet. As stated I haven't got to the range with it. I don't do comparisons half assed while hand holding scopes out the living room window as they don't tell you anything useful. I've got color charts, resolution chart, DR eye exam charts....those will go to the range and I'll update after that.

Flyingbullseye, it's MSR like my two S&Bs are, figured that was the best comparison.

Thanks Jason, look forward to the full review. Just wish my 4-16 had the MSR.

Purchased the same scope. Curious about your opinion on the feel of the clicks on the elevation knob. Have handled two different scopes and in my novice opinion one was more positive than the other. Wish it was more like the 4x16. Looking forward to your review.

Looking forward to the review as well, although my wallet is of a slightly different opinion
smile.gif

Those look very nice! I wonder how they compare to the kahles. Regards,

I have this scope as well with the MSR reticle. To my eyes, the glass is as good as anything I've looked through for resolution, low light and edge-to-edge clarity.

The MSR reticle is fantastic and allows the use of a good cross-hair plus you can use the ranging reticle for itty-bitty groups.

I've only taken it to the range once so far but the only things I'm not a big fan of are the turret turn indicator and the softness of the clicks. Maybe I'm getting old but the transition markings between the first and second turn are hard to read. This isn't such as big deal as that only occurs at about the 14MIL mark so for my 6.5Cr I'm not like to need that much elevation frequently (if ever..) but there it is.

I'm due for a range visit again Friday.

For the money it's a real winner overall IMHO and that's me comparing it to a Hensoldt and Premier. However, still nothing beats or comes close to Hensoldt's sight picture. Once you get used to that you're spoiled I reckon. I got mine from SportOptics - good guys.

wow, that second turn ring thingy is awesome, I'll wait aptiently for the review, the SB 5-25 PMII is on my short list so i really want to know if this is a better deal or as good a scope for less $

I really like that elevation turret. I'm anxious to see what you're opinion is Jason.

I recently saw a pair of these at a match. One of the owners let me get behind his scope and it was impressive. The glass is crystal clear, right up there with the "big boys" for sure. The only slightly negative thing I noticed was the eye box seemed to be a little unforgiving. Maybe it was because I only got a quick look. I'd be interested in your thoughts on that after you've had a chance to work with it a bit.

I love the pictures and the video. Thanks for posting them. We're very happy with the rotation indicator on this scope. I'm glad you guys like it as well.

Please continue to post your thoughts. We're always looking to improve our products and some of the best ideas come from you guys as well it should since you guys use them in the field even more than we do.

Also keep an eye out for some new scopes from Steiner at the 2013 Shot Show.

Team Pro Plate will be Team Steiner next year and five of us will be running 4-16s and 5-25s at major matches throughout the year. Find us to get behind the scopes and ask questions. You can also IM me anytime with Steiner questions. Jess and I have been running 4-16s for over a year and I just received a 5-25. We love them, they are spot on, reliable, and bulletproof. RJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only slightly negative thing I noticed was the eye box seemed to be a little unforgiving.</div></div>

The S&B 5-25 has a unforgiving eyebox as well, at least the times I've used a friends on his rifle. I had a hard time getting behind it after getting used to my steiner 4-16. Probably more to do with the difference in optical design when using a higher mag but I still find the same thing with similar and lesser mag scopes as well. Mine has me spoiled and would jump on another or updated/improved steiner in a heartbeat.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steiner Optics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the pictures and the video. Thanks for posting them. We're very happy with the rotation indicator on this scope. I'm glad you guys like it as well.

Please continue to post your thoughts. We're always looking to improve our products and some of the best ideas come from you guys as well it should since you guys use them in the field even more than we do.

Also keep an eye out for some new scopes from Steiner at the 2013 Shot Show. </div></div>

One thing lacking is an MOA/MOA reticle. If this was available i would definitely jump on one. Currently S&B, Premier, NF and IOR all offer MOA/MOA options. I think an MOA/MOA reticle would be a great addition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steiner is currently working on a MOA/MOA option. :)

</div></div>

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I am running a 5-25 PM2 and MSR alongside a colleague who has just received two Steiner 5-25 MSR.

Glass is everybit as good as SuB and perhaps slightly clearer in the centre of the field of view? Scopes are lighter, turret design excellent albeit the clicks are not that tactile and you can find it hard to feel the adjustment precisely.

Price?

Waaaaaay cheaper than the PM2!

If they do a 4-16 with MSR then I will sell the PM2 and buy 2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steiner Optics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the pictures and the video. Thanks for posting them. We're very happy with the rotation indicator on this scope. I'm glad you guys like it as well.

Also keep an eye out for some new scopes from Steiner at the 2013 Shot Show. </div></div>

Looks like a great scope!

My suggestion would be to put minimum 10Y parallax on all your scopes with adjustable parallax.

S&B and March have this feature available.

Whats the word on the knob direction , as I run a lot of CW turn PMIIs , I am not interested in getting ANY scope that runs opposite to what I am using at the moment ?

Later Chris

The 2nd turn indicator is very nice. Looks like a winner. 5-25X is my next scope, one more scope to look at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leaving for the range....more soon. </div></div>

Any updates? I am very interested in one of these scopes.

This site is very bad for me, it seems to make my bank account get smaller!! I so have an itch to get one of these, I am looking forward to any pro's or con's you find with this scope when you take it to the range..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Whats the word on the knob direction , as I run a lot of CW turn PMIIs , I am not interested in getting ANY scope that runs opposite to what I am using at the moment ?

Later Chris </div></div>

I talked to the Steiner rep yesterday. Although the CCW knobs are standard, they can special order CW. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Later Chris </div></div>

I talked to the Steiner rep yesterday. Although the CCW knobs are standard, they can special order CW. :) </div></div>

Interesting. All here in Europe are CW- didnt even know that CCW exists..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Interesting. All here in Europe are CW- didnt even know that CCW exists.. </div></div>

Yes it is a strange thing in my mind. All our Service Rifles are CW but our scopes are CCW. This is something important to some of us. I shoot a lot of NRA Long Range/ Highpower, and all my metallic sights are CW and I would love it if more scope makers offered this option.

Just one more difference between your side of the ocean and ours.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy. More to come soon I promise and another range trip coming soon as well.

S&B is still the one to beat for sure, but the Steiner has some great features and almost no tunneling. Like 5 to 5.25 for tunneling, vs 5-7 or 8x for the S&B. Will confirm a few of my notes next range trip and post a comprehensive review. All in all it's a very nice setup.

Ah I want to try one really bad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for the late reply, been busy. More to come soon I promise and another range trip coming soon as well.

S&B is still the one to beat for sure, but the Steiner has some great features and almost no tunneling. Like 5 to 5.25 for tunneling, vs 5-7 or 8x for the S&B. Will confirm a few of my notes next range trip and post a comprehensive review. All in all it's a very nice setup. </div></div>

I've heard this term "tunneling", and just acquired my first PMII 5-25x56 and witnessed the reduction in viewable area that starts below about 7.5x but did not make the connection right away... Something I read last night suggested that this may be the "tunneling" I'd seen referred to, and I think you just confirmed it.

Joe

Torture test: passed

283v28.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Later Chris </div></div>

Chris PM on the way shortly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steiner Optics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Chris PM on the way shortly </div></div>

I would be very interested in a 5-25 with CW turrets.

This looks like an excellent scope, and I particularly like the MSR reticle. Does anyone who bought one regret their decision or not springing for an S&B?

—Andreas

Id like to know how the warranty service is. Does it have to go back over seas to get worked on?

Its kinda nice having Plange here on the hide if my Premier goes TU, its also nice having JerryR here as well for any SB problems. Does Steiner have any presence here on the hide?

Id like to try a Steiner, but I'm a little hesitant without knowing how well their customer service is after the sale.

**note.. Im not trying to turn this into a pissing match on who has better CS, so please dont take it that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andreas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This looks like an excellent scope, and I particularly like the MSR reticle. Does anyone who bought one regret their decision or not springing for an S&B?
—Andreas </div></div>
Have sold pile of both with MSR and none of customers have complained about Steiners so far -vice versa. And warranty record with Steiner is still clean btw, knock knock...

I think the S&B is a little brighter than the Steiner. But my Steiner was $1k cheaper than my S&B