• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner P4Xi still the one to beat?

AK4900PA

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2013
I have 2 short barreled AR's that are desperately in need of their own optics so I can stop swapping glass around. One is a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel and the other is a 12.5" .308. They are both setup for pretty much the same purpose so I plan on getting two of the same optic for them. They will be used for everything from shooting paper/steel to deer hogs at distances of 300 yards or less.

<$800 street price
<20 ounces
capped turrets
daylight bright
night vision compatible
high quality glass

While I'd prefer 6x or 8x I don't think I'm going to get the sort of resolution I'm looking for with the 6x/8x options in my price range. My primary bolt gun optic is a S&B PM II 5-25x56. I don't want to feel like I'm slumming it when I get behind the LPVO. Is the Steiner P4Xi my best choice or are there other options out there now that would check all the boxes?

If you want to stick to that price range...yeah probably. If you can spend a bit more the Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x is pretty darn nice.

If you want to stick to that price range...yeah probably. If you can spend a bit more the Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x is pretty darn nice.

I'm sure it is nice, but it's more than a little bit above my budget. I'd stretch it to $1k for something really impressive, but I need two and money doesn't grow on trees. ?

I'll check it out. Is Meopta glass on par with the Steiner?

I have no real experience with either. I'm intrigued by the optika6 higher powered stuff, hence the reason I suggested you looking into that line. Doug @cameraland can probably help steer you in the right direction.

Buy the razor for the Grendel and some irons for the 308.

Not sure I get the logic in that considering they are built for the same purpose and the .308 has as much, if not more range.?

Steiner P4Xi is very nice scope and compare with Trijicon Accupower 1x4 is much clear and bright ( fast and easy right on target ) Vortex Razor ? ? ?

Upper one Steiner , Lower one Trijicon

Last edited:
I have 2 short barreled AR's that are desperately in need of their own optics so I can stop swapping glass around. One is a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel and the other is a 12.5" .308. They are both setup for pretty much the same purpose so I plan on getting two of the same optic for them.

“”” They will be used for everything from shooting paper/steel to deer hogs at distances of 300 yards or less. “””

<$800 street price
<20 ounces
capped turrets
daylight bright
night vision compatible
high quality glass

While I'd prefer 6x or 8x I don't think I'm going to get the sort of resolution I'm looking for with the 6x/8x options in my price range. My primary bolt gun optic is a S&B PM II 5-25x56. I don't want to feel like I'm slumming it when I get behind the LPVO. Is the Steiner P4Xi my best choice or are there other options out there now that would check all the boxes?
I think you need more power then 1-4 or 1-6 and 1-8

I'd need to run the ballistics, but P4Xi and Steiner M5Xi (which is a very nice scope) both have BDC reticle that may not match short barreled Grendel and 308 all that great.

Add Hawke Frontier 1-6x24 and PST Gen 2 1-6x24 to the list. The illumination is not as bright, but they work well and can be had with mrad reticles.

ILya