• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner Parallax Slop?

MarkLeupold

On board the .25 train
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
I have a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 SCR that I bought used on the hide about a year ago. My parallax dial, which turns quite smoothly, seems to have a lot of play in it on the internals. When I dial the parallax from near to far, I was able to tune out all parallax (no reticle movement) at a little under their 100 meter mark. If I turned the dial from the far setting to near, the parallax would all dial out around their 50 meter mark (this was all done on some standing corn about 40 yards from where I was). I then went to a little distance and it seemed like I couldn't dial out parallax. Focused on a tree about 300 meters away, I turned the dial from near to far and the parallax was at its lowest when I hit the stop at the infinity mark, but it was not all gone. I've noticed this a little bit when out shooting, but I haven't really tested until now and I didn't want to send my scope in for warranty work when I was actually able to shoot over the summer. Is this normal with these scopes? I also have it mounted in a pair of ARC M10 rings, tightened to the instructions provided in the box (I don't have a torque wrench).

I figure if I contact Steiner about it, they'll want me to send it to them, which I can do, but I don't want to send it and have them tell me nothing's wrong with it. It's not the biggest deal, just a mild annoyance that I would like fixed.

Yes, I believe so. The steps I took were:

Set parallax to infinity, view reticle against blank wall, adjust until crisp, then come off the scope and fine tune diopter by looking at a distant object/closing your eyes for a few seconds and then glancing back at the reticle.

I tried a couple dozen different times to reset the diopter on my T5Xi 5-25 and had the same problem trying to get parallax to work property. It just never was very easy to set the scope where I could dial quickly to focus.

Just in general, the T5Xi I had was hard to look through and that made focusing even more difficult. Not sure if yours is the same or not, but it sounds similar.

Sorry if a little off topic, but how do you test your parallax? I have a Burris XTR II (Burris and Steiner are sister companies I think) and I could get both the target and the reticle in focus. However, when I moved my eye back and forth I kept seeing the reticle “moving” accross the target. The Burris XTR II is my first expensive-ish optic, so I’m not sure if I was doing it correctly. Is this a similar experience to your Steiner?

I just set up my rifle on the bipod and a rear bag and let it settle down and stop moving. Then you move your head behind the optic without touching the rifle and see if the crosshairs move. If so, adjust parallax and repeat. There is a sweet spot where it stops moving. The reticle and target should both be in focus at that point. If not, you diopter setting could be a little off.

I have the same T5Xi scope and have not noticed the same issue. Also, I saw it somewhere, could be Rex’s sniper 101 on youtube or Todd’s Accuracy 1st DVD set that you are supposed to adjust parallax by dialing to infinity first then dial back to adjust. As long as your paralax is removed, I would not worry about the discrepancy adjusting it one way vs another, since you are only supposed to do it from infinity down.

I have the same T5Xi scope and have not noticed the same issue. Also, I saw it somewhere, could be Rex’s sniper 101 on youtube or Todd’s Accuracy 1st DVD set that you are supposed to adjust parallax by dialing to infinity first then dial back to adjust. As long as your paralax is removed, I would not worry about the discrepancy adjusting it one way vs another, since you are only supposed to do it from infinity down.

I have seen that and are on the same thought process as you. If it's not there, who cares which way you dialed it? I have tested dialing both directions. When I dial from infinity in I get all the parallax out, fire a shot, and then the parallax is back (dial hasn't moved). I also can't seem to get a true infinite parallax setting...

I would contact Steiner warranty service. It sounds like something is moving around that shouldn't. They were pretty quick when I sent that scope in for the turret upgrade.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
I have seen that and are on the same thought process as you. If it's not there, who cares which way you dialed it? I have tested dialing both directions. When I dial from infinity in I get all the parallax out, fire a shot, and then the parallax is back (dial hasn't moved). I also can't seem to get a true infinite parallax setting...
sounds like something is loose if you lose parallax setting after 1 shot. given that i would send it in

Reactions: MarkLeupold
I sent them something about it this morning. I'll probably end up sending it in before the end of the summer.

Hi! I work for both Steiner and Burris, in marketing. Which means I can't answer your question exactly. But PLEASE do call our 800 number. Those guys really are good at this, and they may very well have suggestions for you. You're certainly welcome to just go to the RMA support page and get a return, but from what you're describing I'd want to call first. 888-550-6255

If you do need to send it in, do it as soon as possible. The warranty is lifetime, so no rush there, but fall is coming and they will get busier. This is a great time to get service work done!

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Hi! I work for both Steiner and Burris, in marketing. Which means I can't answer your question exactly. But PLEASE do call our 800 number. Those guys really are good at this, and they may very well have suggestions for you. You're certainly welcome to just go to the RMA support page and get a return, but from what you're describing I'd want to call first. 888-550-6255

If you do need to send it in, do it as soon as possible. The warranty is lifetime, so no rush there, but fall is coming and they will get busier. This is a great time to get service work done!

Thank you for replying to my thread, it's great to see employees of companies out around the "normal people," so to speak. I've opened a case in the Steiner U.S. Support Portal and had a couple messages back and forth there. They suggested I check to see if my rings were torqued properly, but I just went ahead and took the scope out of the rings and did another parallax test to the same result. Waiting for a reply to see if they have another suggestion or if they want me to send it in.

EDIT: Would you possibly have an estimate of a turnaround time if I were to send my scope in?