• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner px4i 4-16 on 6.5 creedmoor

iukamedic

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2017
Tell me if I’m wrong. I’m having a 22 inch proof research in 6.5 creedmoor built on an origin action. I’ve been eyeing some different scopes. The Steiner px4i 4-16 seems like a good deal. I am Going to try some distance shooting and may hunt with this from time to time. Is there a another with similar characteristics at that price or close to it?

Last edited:
I have a 3-18 Razor 2 on my LR 6.5. Before that I had a Steiner Military 4-16 on it.

The P4Xi is a very good scope for its price range, and the magnification is in a good range for most applications.

My current hunting rifle has a 4-16 Viper and I've never thought I needed more than that.

Better is such subjective term. I prefer the LRTS/LRHS, but that may be because the only example I had of the PX4i sucked.

The elevation turret was so tight, you had to grip the scope body in one fist, and the turret cover like you were going to open a jar, to get it to move. The parallax adjustment was gritty and dry. The glass was Meh, XTRII. No sunshade. I talked to several people before I sent it to Burris, to make sure they understood the binding elevation turret was the problem. I got it back pretty quickly, with a note that said the tracking was not off. Which I already knew, and the elevation turret felt exactly the same. I have no idea, how someone could put the scope I had in fixture, crank the elevation turret, and think; this feels ok. Many others have the same scope with no problems.

I would never put my PX4i in the same category as the 4-16x50 Steiner Military scopes I had, so maybe some are much better than others. As I said I only had one of the PX4i, where as I have had several to many examples of the others. Cameraland had an open box LRTS 4.5-18 last I looked.

The elevation turret was so tight, you had to grip the scope body in one fist, and the turret cover like you were going to open a jar, to get it to move. The parallax adjustment was gritty and dry. The glass was Meh, XTRII. No sunshade. I talked to several people before I sent it to Burris, to make sure they understood the binding elevation turret was the problem. I got it back pretty quickly, with a note that said the tracking was not off. Which I already knew, and the elevation turret felt exactly the same. I have no idea, how someone could put the scope I had in fixture, crank the elevation turret, and think; this feels ok. Many others have the same scope with no problems.

I would never put my PX4i in the same category as the 4-16x50 Steiner Military scopes I had, so maybe some are much better than others. As I said I only had one of the PX4i, where as I have had several to many examples of the others. Cameraland had an open box LRTS 4.5-18 last I looked.
Thanks for the advise that puts it in better perspective.

I've got 5 of the P4xi 4-16x56 SCR mil scopes.
corndog obviously got a "bad one"

Glass blows anything in the price range out of the water. Turrets are Stiff (no binding), parallax is smooth on all mine, tracking is dead nuts. I've got over 1,000 dialed shots on my first one, still going strong.

Buy one from Doug at Cameralandny and if you find it "sub par" or lacking in anyway, im certain he would take care of you.

You can't go wrong for $850

Here's a review I did on my first Steiner

Last edited:
Reactions: iukamedic
I have both the Steiner and the Bushnell LRTSi. I like both of them and they are very solid scopes, especially in this price range. While the Steiner will be better in low light, the reticle is a little thin. Which I don’t mind for precision shooting but would prefer the bushnell for hunting as the reticle is thicker.

Last edited:
I’ve got a p4xi on a 6.5 Creedmoor. To me the p4xi can’t be beat for under $1000. My friends shoot Athlon, vortex, and a Nightforce nxs. I think the p4xi is more well rounded than all of those as it has all the features I wanted at a good price but they are still high quality. Plus it’s made in the USA. The only reason I didn’t buy another for the hunting rifle I’m building is because I didn’t want the 56mm objective.

The reviews I have read said it had tight turrets. The thing I liked most was the light gathering. I have a hard seeing in low light. It is comparable to the other scopes in its price range in weight. I had a viper pst gen 1 and wasn’t impressed with the glass. I have a swfa that is much clearer. my Build is emptying my pocket book quick.

I did a low light test one evening with the p4xi, gen2 viper PST and an Athlon Midas Tac all set to 16 power. The Steiner won by a mile. I like the reticles in the other scopes better though.

I did a low light test one evening with the p4xi, gen2 viper PST and an Athlon Midas Tac all set to 16 power. The Steiner won by a mile. I like the reticles in the other scopes better though.
Did you have any problems with the turrets?

Did you have any problems with the turrets?
The turrets on the p4xi our great on my opinion. They are stiff, but I like that. Very crisp clicks, easy to manipulate with looking. Easy enough zero stop. Unless you can get a scope in the $1500 dollar class for the same price I’d pick it everyday over it’s competition. I have a XTRiii showing up in a few days and I’m excited to compare the 2.

The turrets on the p4xi our great on my opinion. They are stiff, but I like that. Very crisp clicks, easy to manipulate with looking. Easy enough zero stop. Unless you can get a scope in the $1500 dollar class for the same price I’d pick it everyday over it’s competition. I have a XTRiii showing up in a few days and I’m excited to compare the 2.
I have a while till my rifle is finished. I was thinking about the about the Burris also. If you don’t mind let me know what you think in comparison. Thanks.

I look forward to your comparison. I have 5 of the Steiners and am considering a 5.5-30 XTR 3.
Thanks in advance

Just to add to above...

The elevation turret loosened up with use on mine. Out of the box i seriously questioned it, but now i have no problem dialing elevation under time in a match. And when walking slung while hunting, i do NOT have to worry about it moving.

My only gripe is it doesn't come with a sunshade. I know the M and T series 56mm sunshades work, but they are not a seamless fit.

Hope this helps.

Just to add to above...

The elevation turret loosened up with use on mine. Out of the box i seriously questioned it, but now i have no problem dialing elevation under time in a match. And when walking slung while hunting, i do NOT have to worry about it moving.

My only gripe is it doesn't come with a sunshade. I know the M and T series 56mm sunshades work, but they are not a seamless fit.

Hope this helps.
10-4. I’m thinking best for the money that I’ve seen. What caliber do you have it on? What type matches? Thanks again

I took mine out to the range for the first time over the weekend and loved it. Compared it side by side with a few optics and it is wonderful for under $1,000. My elevation turret was stiff out of the box, but not unusable with finger strength. Once I reset the zero stop at the range it loosened up a bit and is perfect and equal to the windage.

OP... it's on a .308. Max range is 600 yards. Local matches only so far. I usually shoot on 12x at 600 yds, which allows me to easily see the 12" plate. If mirage isn't bad, i can also engage the 6" plate. Cranked to 16x, i can (try) to engage the 4" plate (smallest we have), of course mirage while shooting prone in south GA can make that thing all but disappear. Someone with better eyes and more experience can do better.

Hope this helped.

I look forward to your comparison. I have 5 of the Steiners and am considering a 5.5-30 XTR 3.
Thanks in advance
Got my my XTRiii in today. I got the 3.3-18x50. Haven’t given it a detailed look because I was on lunch break, but so far I like it. Compared to the p4xi I would say I like the glass better on the xtr, but I like the turrets on the p4xi more. They are beefier and the clicks are more crisp, the xtr has definitive clicks but they somewhat hard to detect. I like the capped windage instead of the exposed. Knurling is very aggressive, but it’s probably perfect with gloves. I like that the parallax knob actually has ranges labeled on it unlike the p4xi. Haven’t compared glass much but I’ll give to the Burris so far. I think it’s gonna be excellent scope and I paid a very good price for it and I would say it is an improvement from the p4xi, but the p4xi definitely can compete with it in most areas still. Overall I think the p4xi is a undervalued scope and the Burris is priced appropriately for what it delivers. I would recommend both so far.

Got my my XTRiii in today. I got the 3.3-18x50. Haven’t given it a detailed look because I was on lunch break, but so far I like it. Compared to the p4xi I would say I like the glass better on the xtr, but I like the turrets on the p4xi more. They are beefier and the clicks are more crisp, the xtr has definitive clicks but they somewhat hard to detect. I like the capped windage instead of the exposed. Knurling is very aggressive, but it’s probably perfect with gloves. I like that the parallax knob actually has ranges labeled on it unlike the p4xi. Haven’t compared glass much but I’ll give to the Burris so far. I think it’s gonna be excellent scope and I paid a very good price for it and I would say it is an improvement from the p4xi, but the p4xi definitely can compete with it in most areas still. Overall I think the p4xi is a undervalued scope and the Burris is priced appropriately for what it delivers. I would recommend both so far.
Thanks. Please update on glass comparison when you have a chance to compare side by side at various distances, etc.

Thanks for that update. I’m still pondering both.

Thanks. Please update on glass comparison when you have a chance to compare side by side at various distances, etc.
So I got some time to compare the p4xi and the xtr3. I was only able to look from my back porch to about 150 yards down to a neighbors roof line though. Glass wise the xtr3 definitely wins hands down. The edge to edge clarity is great, there is very little no fuzziness around the edges. Both scopes to me appear about the same color when looking through them, both pretty neutral true to color. The big difference to me was when I was looking at my neighbors house, there were some trees at different distances and the roof profile. When you look through the xtr3 the edges of all these different objects don’t get fuzzy like on the p4xi. Both displayed a little green tinting on the edges of objects that you were not directly looking at, but the xtr3 displayed less. Both optically are very clear images, but the xtr3 wins for me because of what I mentioned above.

Reactions: Rebels010
So I got some time to compare the p4xi and the xtr3. I was only able to look from my back porch to about 150 yards down to a neighbors roof line though. Glass wise the xtr3 definitely wins hands down. The edge to edge clarity is great, there is very little no fuzziness around the edges. Both scopes to me appear about the same color when looking through them, both pretty neutral true to color. The big difference to me was when I was looking at my neighbors house, there were some trees at different distances and the roof profile. When you look through the xtr3 the edges of all these different objects don’t get fuzzy like on the p4xi. Both displayed a little green tinting on the edges of objects that you were not directly looking at, but the xtr3 displayed less. Both optically are very clear images, but the xtr3 wins for me because of what I mentioned above.
Thanks for the comparison.

Last night I received my P4Xi 4-16 from @gr8fuldoug . Cameraland and Doug are great to deal with. They have a customer for life.

Anyway, to the scope. All I've had time to do is focus the reticle and play a bit with the controls. I'm fine with all of them, including elevation turret stiffness. From reading the manual and looking over youtube videos the zero stop looks stupid easy to use.

Took it outside last night at around 8 PM and was blown away by the optical characteristics. I'm sure it's not as good as serious $$$ glass, but hot damn for $850 I don't know how it could be better.

Can't wait to get my barreled action back from Short Action Customs to slap this thing on it.

By the way, has anyone noticed that 34 mm rings are getting difficult to find in some heights? Holy shit Seekins is out of X-highs for like 90 days and I couldn't find the same as Vortex-branded either. Anyway, I remembered Precision Reflex Inc is half hour from work so they hooked me up with a set of their rings for about 50 bucks less than what you'll pay for everyone else's 34 mm aluminum rings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado S14
Last night I received my P4Xi 4-16 from @gr8fuldoug . Cameraland and Doug are great to deal with. They have a customer for life.

Anyway, to the scope. All I've had time to do is focus the reticle and play a bit with the controls. I'm fine with all of them, including elevation turret stiffness. From reading the manual and looking over youtube videos the zero stop looks stupid easy to use.

Took it outside last night at around 8 PM and was blown away by the optical characteristics. I'm sure it's not as good as serious $$$ glass, but hot damn for $850 I don't know how it could be better.

Can't wait to get my barreled action back from Short Action Customs to slap this thing on it.

By the way, has anyone noticed that 34 mm rings are getting difficult to find in some heights? Holy shit Seekins is out of X-highs for like 90 days and I couldn't find the same as Vortex-branded either. Anyway, I remembered Precision Reflex Inc is half hour from work so they hooked me up with a set of their rings for about 50 bucks less than what you'll pay for everyone else's 34 mm aluminum rings.

Glad you got one..........not only is the glass incredible for the coin, but they actually WORK..........that's most important. I have several with many, many thousands of dialing rounds on them and have never once questioned the tracking/return to zero. I LOVE the turrets, but you better make sure you can open a pickle jar on the first try ;)

Reactions: 308pirate
I guess you and I don't have girly hands. ;)

I was expecting nice based on the P4Xi 1-4X that I already have but it exceeded my expectations.

They do "break in" after use, but still nice and firm. Smart design with the integrated zero stop and a nice touch with the "window" that goes from white to green at the 10 Mil mark and beyond on elevation. Enjoy it. One of my favorite scopes!

They do "break in" after use, but still nice and firm. Smart design with the integrated zero stop and a nice touch with the "window" that goes from white to green at the 10 Mil mark and beyond on elevation. Enjoy it. One of my favorite scopes!
I still can't believe how simple the zero stop is. So far it doesn't appear that you can set the stop a few mils below zero, or can you?

I still can't believe how simple the zero stop is. So far it doesn't appear that you can set the stop a few mils below zero, or can you?

The Zero stop allows you to go .4 mil below zero.

If during site in you need to go below the zero in any case farther than 4 clicks, or .4 Mil. You have to loosen the two turret screws and "free spool" the turret up, turning it counter clockwise as if you were actually dialing elevation........(but you aren't in this case, because the turret isn't engaged). So, say you need to come down 2 Mils from your zero stop to get sited in at 100 yards. You need to do as instructed and dial up two mils with the turret screws loosened and then tighten them, this will allow you to dial down the 2 Mils once they are tightened. It's kind of a strange system, but easy once you grasp how it's designed.

The Zero stop allows you to go .4 mil below zero.

If during site in you need to go below the zero in any case farther than 4 clicks, or .4 Mil. You have to loosen the two turret screws and "free spool" the turret up, turning it counter clockwise as if you were actually dialing elevation........(but you aren't in this case, because the turret isn't engaged). So, say you need to come down 2 Mils from your zero stop to get sited in at 100 yards. You need to do as instructed and dial up two mils with the turret screws loosened and then tighten them, this will allow you to dial down the 2 Mils once they are tightened. It's kind of a strange system, but easy once you grasp how it's designed.

If I hit the stop while zeroing, slip the turret up more than what I need, lock it down, and finish zeroing. Then once POA = POI slip the turret once more to line up the 0 with the index mark, tighten the setscrews, and automatically I end up with -0.4 mil available from zero?

Sweet

Reactions: screaminweasil
If I hit the stop while zeroing, slip the turret up more than what I need, lock it down, and finish zeroing. Then once POA = POI slip the turret once more to line up the 0 with the index mark, tighten the setscrews, and automatically I end up with -0.4 mil available from zero?

Sweet

You got it!!

For what it’s worth my elevation turret loosened up a little when I reset my Zero stop. Before it was noticeably stiffer than the windage now they are about on par. Have loved mine.

Finally took my P4xi that I bought from the PX from @screaminweasil to the range yesterday. I loved it. Shot from 300-800. Tracking was great and glass was very good. I did get a blister from trying to break in that elevation turret when I first got the thing. I gave it a thorough night of twisting and it feels great now. I like the glass in my Cronus a little better but the P4xi is definitely a keeper. I can't think of a better scope for the price you can get these.

For what it’s worth my elevation turret loosened up a little when I reset my Zero stop. Before it was noticeably stiffer than the windage now they are about on par. Have loved mine.

Could you elaborate on what you men by reset. I was not aware there was any setting or resetting to the zero stop on the PX4i.

Finally took my P4xi that I bought from the PX from @screaminweasil to the range yesterday. I loved it. Shot from 300-800. Tracking was great and glass was very good. I did get a blister from trying to break in that elevation turret when I first got the thing. I gave it a thorough night of twisting and it feels great now. I like the glass in my Cronus a little better but the P4xi is definitely a keeper. I can't think of a better scope for the price you can get these.

Yeah, after 1100 rounds my first Steiner Elevation Turret seems pretty nicely broken in. No need for a locking turret on that model:p

I agree, I like my Cronus BTR glass better, but for the coin, those Steiners are worth every penny! Glad you like the scope

Could you elaborate on what you men by reset. I was not aware there was any setting or resetting to the zero stop on the PX4i.

What I mean is adjusted it for my gun. From the factory, out of the box, it was a bit stiffer. When I got it mounted, zeroed, and set the stop for some reason it loosened up a smidge and is more comparable to the windage turret, though still a bit stiffer. I love the turrets on mine, the stiffness/directness of them makes for superb dialing. I never overshoot, I can nail my call every time.

Last night I received my P4Xi 4-16 from @gr8fuldoug .

I went with the Burris XTR signature 1 inch rings. Seem to work well with 20 moa inserts on a Tikka CTR with factory 0 moa mount.

Attachments

• IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    974.5 KB · Views: 53
can someone please measure outside objective diameter , trying to make sure rings aren't too low