• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner T5Xi 1-5

Gasgun

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
Looking at picking up another LPVO for my SR-15.
Was thinking 1-6 or 1-8.
Eurooptic has the T5Xi on clearance for $870. The optic wasn’t even on my radar at $1700, but at about half price I thought it might be worth consideration.
I haven’t been able to dig up much info on it.
Is the illumination daylight bright?
Any disappointing optical compromises?
I currently have a NXS 1-4, Razor HD II-E 1-6 and an ATACR 1-8 for comparison.

The Steiner T5Xi is being discontinued, and thus the savings. It is a clear step down from the ATACR and Razor Gen 2HD-E, but also lighter. Similar to the NXS 1-4x, although I would give Nighforce a small edge. More comparable to PST Gen 2 or Trijicon Credo. Very respectable, but keep in-mind you are only getting 5x magnification, while many LPVOs are 1-6x minimum. But, you are getting a fantastic price. I am a fan of the Steiner scopes. M scopes are top-shelf, T scopes are mid-quality, like comparing ATACR to NXS, I suppose. Steiner P series is their lower level line-up, but Steiner does not make a bad scope.

I've only owned mine for a month or 2 after I found one off the arfcom ee for a good price. I've put around 500rds through the upper it's on. I'm a recovering lpvo addict and have owned way too many of these things including the Burris RT6, Trijicon TR24 1-4, Vortex PST 1-6, Delta Stryker 1-6, Razor gen 2 and gen 3, PA PLx 1-8, Trij 1-8, and NF NX8.

Pros
-Super forgiving 1x eyebox, probably the most forgiving out of the scopes I've owned besides the tr24. 5x is still pretty good too.
-1x image is very flat and as true as you'll find in any lpvo
-Reticle is nice and simple but has bdc holds and ranging, used with illumination it feels very fast at 1x. Reticle is pretty thick at 5x but it's a 5x lpvo so not really meant for precision work
-Feels pretty well built, much better than the p4xi which feels like it'll explode if you drop it or crank on the turrets/mag ring too hard
-Locking diopter is a nice touch. Also mine came with a throw lever and tenebrax caps which is nice
-Made in 'Murica with German glass which is cool

Neutral/Notable
-illumination is daylight bright, but just barely. It's still definitely worth turning on during the day and is much brighter than the PA and trij 1-8's, but not nuclear bright like the Vortex 1-6's or Delta Stryker. I attached a photo that shows the illum in bright conditions.
-Footprint- It's a pretty long optic. It's 19oz though which is pretty decent compared to the vortexes and other lpvo's out there
-FOV seems middle of the road, maybe a bit below average compared to the competition

Cons
-Throw lever is too skinny and hard to get a good purchase on. The throw is a bit on the stiff side so I've found sometimes my fingers will slip off when trying to dial up my mag on the fly
-Glass is quite good in the center, but as you rev up the magnification there is significant edge distortion. Definitely not bad glass but you'd hope for better given the Steiner name and the fact these things are supposed to retail for >$1k
-The illumination knob doesn't have much resistance for the detents and seems like it'd be easy for it to turn on by accident
-Doesn't use a CR2032 and instead uses a larger 2450 battery which is annoying

Overall I like the optic for my uses. I put it on a bcm 14.5 upper I got recently which will spend the vast majority of the time at 1x. If you intend to use this primarily at max mag I would definitely recommend getting a different optic like the Vortex 1-6's
image0 (2).png
image1.jpeg

Is this the scope that you are looking at on Eurooptic?
Steiner T5XI 1-5x24 3TR 5.56 Rapid Dot Riflescope 5101

There seems to be a discrepancy in the description of the reticle and the image of the reticle on the webpage.

The description is confusing in that they list 2 reticle types, 3TR and Rapid Dot. Perhaps at one time the website offered both reticles and you had a dropdown to choose the one you wanted.

Keep in mind that the zero on the BDC reticle is at 200 yards. And that there are 2 versions of the BDC based on the caliber. The BDC is accurate at 5x.

Here's the Steiner Reticle Guide in pdf format.

I have been using the T5Xi 1-5 on my AR for 5 years. I agree with all the pros and neutral points that @taboopineapple listed above.

Once you have the rifle zeroed, using the BDC at 5x is quick and easy to hit target out to 600 yards. I found that with my rifle the BDC is most accurate with 62 grain and 75 grain open tip rounds.

Since it's a second focal plane scope, the subtensions are thicker that what I would like.

There have been a few times when I wanted a little more magnification. Typically at longer ranges and smaller targets or when just zeroing...

Personally I like that Steiner uses a 2450 battery in the T5X line of scopes. It's just another type of battery that you keep in you range bag.

Last edited:
The Steiner T5Xi is being discontinued, and thus the savings. It is a clear step down from the ATACR and Razor Gen 2HD-E, but also lighter. Similar to the NXS 1-4x, although I would give Nighforce a small edge. More comparable to PST Gen 2 or Trijicon Credo. Very respectable, but keep in-mind you are only getting 5x magnification, while many LPVOs are 1-6x minimum. But, you are getting a fantastic price. I am a fan of the Steiner scopes. M scopes are top-shelf, T scopes are mid-quality, like comparing ATACR to NXS, I suppose. Steiner P series is their lower level line-up, but Steiner does not make a bad scope.
Lol tell that to all of us who bought the T5X when it came out. The only optic they ever made worth buying was the old 3-12 and 4-16 military scopes that were sub $1500. All their shit is so overpriced there is nothing they make someone doesn't do cheaper and better.

Lol tell that to all of us who bought the T5X when it came out. The only optic they ever made worth buying was the old 3-12 and 4-16 military scopes that were sub $1500. All their shit is so overpriced there is nothing they make someone doesn't do cheaper and better.

Who makes a better 1-4 within the $550 price range?