• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner T5Xi for Tactical Games - Change My Mind

liminalState

Button Pusher
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2021
Arizona
Happy Fourth!

So I’m going to be doing my first Tactical Games this year and I’ve been shopping for a scope that is fast for under 300m that can also take a beating. I don’t want to spend a fortune on a scope that will potentially get trashed in the process. Was looking at the T4Xi on BDU which is priced right (for me) at a little over $600, but then the 900G’s of impact resistance of the T5 caught my eye. A bit of a stretch money-wise but I love the chunkier knobs and the more robust build. Both are priced well on BD. Thoughts? Alternatives?

I'm assuming you're speaking of the 1-4 & 1-5 respectively. I have the P4Xi in 1-4 and 4-16, and I also have the T5Xi in 3-15.
All of them seem robust.
I've thought about getting the 1-5 a few times but I always conclude that my 1-4 works better than any other 1-4 I've tried and I don't need to spend the money on something that "might" perform marginally better.
All of the Steiner products in these lines that I've handled have been outstanding for their price ranges. I don't think you can go wrong for the money either way.

Reactions: liminalState
I'm assuming you're speaking of the 1-4 & 1-5 respectively. I have the P4Xi in 1-4 and 4-16, and I also have the T5Xi in 3-15.
All of them seem robust.
I've thought about getting the 1-5 a few times but I always conclude that my 1-4 works better than any other 1-4 I've tried and I don't need to spend the money on something that "might" perform marginally better.
All of the Steiner products in these lines that I've handled have been outstanding for their price ranges. I don't think you can go wrong for the money either way.
You are correct, both of the 1x models. I think I've made my mind up on the T5. Do I need the extra power? Probably not. Everyone I see in the TG pics looks beat up, I'm assuming their gear is beat up, too. I'll err on the side of of the impact "marketing." Thanks for the feedback!

You don’t want to spend money on a known quality optic because it’ll get scratched up while using it? I did a local skirmish with my NF 1-8 ATACR. Sure, it has some battle marks but that’s what it was made to handle.

I think 1-4 LPVO are pointless in today’s market. You could save yourself some cash and just use a red dot with 3x magnifier. Either get a solid 1-6 or spend the cash on a nice 1-8 if going LPVO

You don’t want to spend money on a known quality optic because it’ll get scratched up while using it? I did a local skirmish with my NF 1-8 ATACR. Sure, it has some battle marks but that’s what it was made to handle.

I think 1-4 LPVO are pointless in today’s market. You could save yourself some cash and just use a red dot with 3x magnifier. Either get a solid 1-6 or spend the cash on a nice 1-8 if going LPVO
I'm good with scratches, I just don't want a failure. I can't spend the cash in the ATACR just yet as I'm working at a startup and things are always uncertain until the next funding round lands. I've never used a magnifier before but, I love my EXPS. I'll have to see if I can get some time behind one to see if I like it. Then the only problem will be finding a G33 in stock. Either way it's a stop gap that will work - for now - until I pull the trigger on an ATACR or the new Mark 6 I've heard is supposed to be dropping any day now.

I seen this posted last night, I’m not familiar with the t5 but at the price of a new one I would go with the nx8.

If you know you want an LPVO, then I’d recommend just saving the cash and get one. You don’t really need magnified optics for tactical games. I did my first TG with a red dot and then my last one with the ATACR. The magnification really only became a game changer on one battle. I spent the rest of the battle on 1x.

So great advice from everyone. Even though I don't really need things like BDC reticle, I'm going to save my cash for an LPVO next year. This is my first TG and I'm sure I'll get my ass kicked regardless of what's on my rifle. I think I found a G43 and I'll pair that with my EXPS for now. When I finally pick up a solid scope, I'll throw the EXPS back on my sub gun.

Reactions: bllistc
Just my 2 cents here so take it for what little it’s worth. I competed in the tactical games in NC this year and ran a vortex razor gen 3 on a 16” AR. All things considered, I’ll run a red dot alone on a 11.5” AR next time and take the weight savings. There were a grand total of 12 shots out of 250 past 50 yards. The rest was all 3x5” paper at 50 yards for rifle. I was pretty happy with my performance so I don’t know if a red dot would necessarily have improved my shooting. I just think it would have been easier to get on target and not have to fight the eyebox after arms and grip are shot from the physical component.

Obviously I have no idea what your course will be but it doesn’t seem like there have been many long range shots based on my conversations with people there who did other events. They do all seem to have long runs for at least one battle. We had a 5+ mile run in full kit for ours at the end of the first day so I was feeling every ounce of my rifle. Lol.

If what you really want is the t5 and it's only 300 dollars more that the other one, why settle save 300 dollars more and be happy buy once cry once that or save up enough and get both and sell the one you don't like as much I am sure someone on the px will love to buy it at a greatly reduced price then you get what you want and make someone else really happy :unsure: 😊 .

Just my 2 cents here so take it for what little it’s worth. I competed in the tactical games in NC this year and ran a vortex razor gen 3 on a 16” AR. All things considered, I’ll run a red dot alone on a 11.5” AR next time and take the weight savings. There were a grand total of 12 shots out of 250 past 50 yards. The rest was all 3x5” paper at 50 yards for rifle. I was pretty happy with my performance so I don’t know if a red dot would necessarily have improved my shooting. I just think it would have been easier to get on target and not have to fight the eyebox after arms and grip are shot from the physical component.

Obviously I have no idea what your course will be but it doesn’t seem like there have been many long range shots based on my conversations with people there who did other events. They do all seem to have long runs for at least one battle. We had a 5+ mile run in full kit for ours at the end of the first day so I was feeling every ounce of my rifle. Lol.
This is extremely helpful, thank you. I've been doing a lot of rucking for GoRuck. Sounds like I need to get out and run a bit more. I almost threw my plate carrier on and went for a run this morning but, skipped it for a WOD and weights. Guess I'm going back out tonight. :poop:

Reactions: bllistc
I'd just run a T2 with a 3XC in a Unity mount...if I didn't have a CQT...thats the setup I'd run...

That said...I love Steiner so carry on...their 1/4X has great 1X performance and the glass is really good. I haven't looked through the T5XI 1-5...but did have a 3-15 and that glass wasn't that whoopty in it...

I actually picked up the P4Xi that @S197 linked to, the price was too good to pass up. I've heard that the eye box is quite good and Steiner support says it might be as good or better of a scope than the T5 based on the price point. This was according to one of the only worthwhile (and civil) threads I've seen on ar15.com.

I actually picked up the P4Xi that @S197 linked to, the price was too good to pass up. I've heard that the eye box is quite good and Steiner support says it might be as good or better of a scope than the T5 based on the price point. This was according to one of the only worthwhile (and civil) threads I've seen on ar15.com.
you can’t go wrong with the p4xi at 550. The price, weight savings and being shorter puts it above the t5.

I'm good with scratches, I just don't want a failure. I can't spend the cash in the ATACR just yet as I'm working at a startup and things are always uncertain until the next funding round lands. I've never used a magnifier before but, I love my EXPS. I'll have to see if I can get some time behind one to see if I like it. Then the only problem will be finding a G33 in stock. Either way it's a stop gap that will work - for now - until I pull the trigger on an ATACR or the new Mark 6 I've heard is supposed to be dropping any day now.
@liminalState what leupold MK6 are you referring to?