• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Steiner T5xi Questions and Optic Recommendations

Zezeroni

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2020
Arizona, USA
Hey all so I'm new into this bolt action game and optics other than red dots. I am currently looking to get the Steiner t5xi 5-25x56 for my 6mm Creedmoor bolt action. I will mainly be using it on PRS type of shooting and will shoot anywhere from 100-1000 yards. Any information regarding this would be great but if this isn't something you guys recommend let me know as well for other recommendations i am looking to spend up to 2k on an optic but of course if I can save money great. Thank you very much for your help ahead of time.

One of my rifles has the 3-15, and another had a 5-25 but I sold that scope. A common issue with Steiner T5xi, and especially the 5-25, is the chromatic aberration. CA is the purple or yellow "fringe" around high contrast objects, such as the white or black target edges. Not all Steiners suffer this, but a lot do. My first Steiner had this out of the box, but customer service took care of my scope and replaced it with a new one.

The glass quality is good, the field of view is decent, and I like the "Never Lost" turret numbers, but the turret clicks feel a bit light. If you buy a used one the price to value ratio is good, but the retail price is a bit high.

I’ve had two of the T5XIs 3-15 and while I like the adjustments, size, illumination, etc.
They both pushed CA pretty bad. And maybe my eyes are ones just more susceptible
To this, but it bothers me a lot. One was so bad it looked like Samuel L Jackson’s purple lightsaber blade anytime you got close to a light colored target.
There are better choices out there and if you don’t mind spending 2K or a bit more
Look for a sale on a used Minox ZP5. Hard to beat in that price range. Gen II razor in the 1650-1800 range if you don’t mind the weight, 1350-1400 range Athlon Cronus BTR II, 1100-1250 range Athlon Cronus BTR, 900-1100 range Tract Toric 4-20,
750-800 range Bushnell DMR IIi 3.5-21 on sale now at Midway for 805.
All of those I’d rather have over the Steiners. And I still own or have owned all of those
Scopes and used them. Gen II razors are hard to beat if you don’t mind the weight.
I’d rather have an extra 1lb of barrel than scope so I switched mine out for something lighter, but no complaints for anything other than the weight.

Reactions: Zezeroni
I have a t5xi 5-25 and havent had any of the issues stated above. I dont like the feel of the turrets however and the magnification ring feels gritty. Other than that it has been an awesome optic. If your looking for a scope for prs however id look into something with a Christmas tree reticle. I like the SCR reticle but it definitely wouldnt be my pick for a prs scope

Reactions: aw0l
Give a look at the Burris XTR3 and the Gen 2 razor. They seem to be well thought of for PRS. Great eyebox and clarity with rock solid tracking.

I actually like the Steiner scopes for the most part. The T5 series is decent with good features and tracks well. If I was paying full retail I would prefer the Burris XTR3 as mentioned above.

I have a 5-25 and while I like the scope features the eye box is extremely tight. If you aren't positioned behind the scope correctly image degradation and chromatic aberration are very noticeable.

I like the SCR reticle, the turret clicks are tight and it tracks well.

If the eyebox was as forgiving as a Vortex Razor Gen2 it would be a better option in its price range.

If you picked one up used at around 1100-1200, fine. Would I pay anything remotely close to retail? NO WAY! Too many better options available as previously mentioned. Re-sale value is shit. Equivalent to driving a new car off the dealer's lot, only worse.

Thank you to all of your guys opinions on Steiner and their optics I will be looking more into the razor gen 2 and possibly the leupold mark5hd possibly even Burris and the other ones all other recommended.

Reactions: Jigstick