• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner t5xi resale/cost

Hostile_SS

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2017
good day,

i am in the process of trying to pick a good decent optic. So i have gone from NF to S&B to IOR . Then to USO and now stainer. In looking over past sales in the forum, thy run 2k plus new.(the t5xi which i think is 5-25).

In used they are running lower 1k.

why? not to put a bad name on any one brand but.. i have to ask. i really am looking for a good scope that will last from my present weapon to a future one i may or may not get.

I was looking at t Recon and after some thought, reconsidered. I dont plan on breaking my gear but if i do, i want to be able to get it fixed Conus or somewhere i dont have to worry!!!

Again, great website and wow.. some serious knowledge here.

If your not learning, then you aren't reading.

Hostile.

I would have stuck with S&B. If that is not in the budget then Vortex Razor gen II.

Steiner slipped up big time with the launch of the T5Xi/T3Xi and cost themselves a $2K price spot. Now the reality is that resale is lower than it should be for this optic. With competition such as it is these days, that's the reality of where they will stay. Still a good scope for the money, just not at MSRP.

Disclosure. I bought one of the first pre-release scopes, so went through the whole intro deal. Even after all of that, I have mine and use it as it is a solid scope.

I have owned 2 and really liked them for the $1200-1500 price point. One bit the dust with a parallax issue and had to be replaced. I sold the replacement scope. The turrets are excellent, good reticle, illumination is daylight bright, glass is good (except the CA).

Reactions: lash
Ok..ca?

Don't think I know what that stands for. Great insight. Not going to spend 1k then have to upgrade later. Thx for the help!!

No one pays $2k for a new one. I bought mine for $1450 brand new from a hide vendor. 5-25 version.

Reactions: Hostile_SS
Ok..ca?

Don't think I know what that stands for. Great insight. Not going to spend 1k then have to upgrade later. Thx for the help!!
CA = Chromatic Aberration

from Encyclopaedia Britannica

Chromatic aberration, colour distortion in an image viewed through a glass lens. Because the refractive index of glass varies with wavelength, every property of a lens that depends on its refractive index also varies with wavelength, including the focal length, the image distance, and the image magnification. The change of image distance with wavelength is known as chromatic aberration, and the variation of magnification with wavelength is known as chromatic difference of magnification, or lateral colour. Chromatic aberration can be eliminated by combining a strong lens of low-dispersion (crown) glass with a weaker lens made of high-dispersion (flint) glass. Such a combination is said to be achromatic. This method of removing chromatic aberration was discovered in 1729 by Chester Hall, an English inventor, and it was exploited vigorously in the late 18th century in numerous small telescopes. Chromatic variation of magnification can be eliminated by achromatizing all the components of a system or by making the system symmetrical about a central diaphragm. Both chromatic aberration and lateral colour are corrected in every high-grade optical system.

Reactions: Hostile_SS