• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Step-by-step guide for setting up and using Kestrel 5700?

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Can you guys tell me your step-by-step guide for using the Kestrel?

I would also really like any info you have found from reliable sources (Kestrel/AB videos, Everyday Sniper podcasts I should listen to (including episode #), etc.).

Maybe it would look something like this?
Setting it up:
  1. Set up Gun Profile (do you use G7 or custom curve?)
  2. Get 100yd zero
  3. Use Chronograph to find starting MV
  4. True MV
    1. Go to “Gun”
    2. Click on “MV”
    3. Click on “Cal MV”
    4. Use 85% of Cal MV value. For this example, lets assume Cal MV says 1000yds, so we’ll use 850yd.
    5. Capture Environmental data by going to “Enviro” toggle over to “live” and then swing the kestrel on the lanyard. After Kestrel has acclimated to environment, toggle back to “lock”.
    6. Capture Target DOF by pointing Kestrel downrange, highlighting Tgt, and hitting the red button twice.
    7. Capture wind speed by opening impeller cover, highlighting “wind” in Kestrel, pointing Kestrel straight into the wind, clicking the red button once, waiting for 5-10 sec, and clicking the red button again.
    8. Using initial Kestrel wind and drop data, Shoot 5rds at 850yds. Adjust actual “Drop” value if required.
    9. Exit and accept MV Cal
    10. Confirm elevation on Target 2/3 of your trueing distance. 2/3 of 850 is roughly 561yds.
  5. True Cal DSF (similar process to trying MV)
I found the above info from Kestrel’s YouTube channel. I didn’t see anything about adjusting BC?

Let me know if you guys do anything differently. I’m trying to learn and haven’t really input one from scratch on my own yet. Thanks!

The link will take you to some setup videos - Panhandle Precision

I'm unaware of like or dislikes for Panhandle, it's fine if some of you don't but I'm in the thumbs up category. Be kind to our fellow shooters. Thanks

The kestrel videos MPA did are quite good as well.
One of the videos talks about trueing with BC, speed or identifying a error.

The link will take you to some setup videos - Panhandle Precision

I'm unaware of like or dislikes for Panhandle, it's fine if some of you don't but I'm in the thumbs up category. Be kind to our fellow shooters. Thanks
Thanks, I’d seen Panhandle Precision’s videos before but I hadn’t watched them because I wasn’t sure if he was a reliable resource. Appreciate your positive review of it - gives me more confidence in listening to him.

The kestrel videos MPA did are quite good as well.
One of the videos talks about trueing with BC, speed or identifying a error.
Thanks! I’ve been looking quite a bit and hasn’t seen those. I trust MPA should be a reliable resource.