• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Step inside for a tale of woe. Building/construction guys are appreciated too.

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    So I live in a uppity 'equestrian' neighborhood and had had an empty lot behind us since the beginning of time. We had at one point thought about buying it, but the facts that A. its honestly the worst lot in the entire neighborhood when you factor in the slope, that its blocked on all sides with no views and its on the corner of our 2 main streets B. the guy who owns it is a builder who bought it at the very peak of the market 10+ years ago, lost his ass, and is holding onto it asking an absurd amount for it (see: basically 2.5x market) and C. eventually trying to sell it if we did move, considering it has been For Sale for over 8 years without a buyer, is pretty much a dumbshit idea.

Fast forward to this July.

There's heavy machinery on it, digging holes. Great. They dig out a 30+ foot deep giantic hole for a 2+ story walkout layout house that will be around 4500-6000 sq/ft. Basically they are mirrioring our house as the slope in the land requires you to build a walkout 2 story house.

The earth moving guys build up 2 gigantic 15-20 foot berms with the dug out earth, one of which is sitting 3 feet away from my 7.5ft high block wall seperating our properties. The wife and I immediately said we're going to have a 2-3 foot metal topper built onto it so we never have to see anyone, even if they were on their 2nd story balcony. Whatever, they better be fucking quiet or they'll realize moving in behind me and being white trash is going to be very regrettable for them.

And then..........

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing has happened since mid July. No machinery. No 'permit' board. No dust mitigation. No concrete work. No foundation. No utility end boxes. Nothing.

Week and a half ago I call the city and tell them about my concerns that A. the gigantic berm with tons of dirt, stacked 2 feet from my wall is slowly crumbeling and will basically melt/landslide as soon as we get into the rainy season here shortly and B. the dust coming off of it is basically blowing around everywhere, all the time.

I get a call from the city inspector who actually knew where the lot was right away and he had driven past it multiple times and always wondered WTF was going on there. He asks me about the grade in our yard and how we do when it rains, the dust and to take pictures of their berm in relation to my wall. Calls me back the next day and says the owner is being cited because there is zero dust mitigation and is being told to move the earth, but can have months to do the earth movement as there are some open ended construction timeline guidelines in town. Ugh.

He then asks if I'm ready for the really interesting news.

Apparently, here's how this epic clusterfuck has gone down so far:

- Guy buys lot (Im sure he got talked into how awesome and what a great price it was by his local mormon buddies)
    - Guy (not builder) files permit to dig for foundation, which they did in July
    - There are ZERO current plans/design plans/permit requests/anything in the system, at all, for this property at this time which is super odd, as they are normally filed together/around the same time with the permit to dig
    - Even if they were submitted today, review/approval takes 2-3 months at best
    - There is no builder on file

EL OH EL

I mentioned that when he hears from him about the citations to let him know he can A. pay for my wall topper and B. I want his insurance info so I can narc him out to his insurance as I'm sure they'll love the pictures of the impending disaster that will occur to my property within the next 1-2 months once it starts raining here constantly.

The inspector said he's never seen a dug foundation hole be left for more than a few weeks. He said he has no idea WTF this guy is thinking as when it begins raining here, it's going to turn into a giant swimming pool sink hole and the 10-15k they spent to excavate will be down the drain, literally.

Our guess was that he got financed and then lost the financing and/or got called by the bank and told they needed another X$ money from him in cash, that he didn't have. Or how likely is it he HAD a builder, and then the builder fucked him and hes stuck with land with a giant hole in it that he paid for?

I also googled the owner after finding the buyer info on the county GIS map and there's no fucking way he can afford to live here.

Have any of you seen crazy shit like this?

Hopefully he has this on a construction loan thats due in 12-18 months and then I can just show up and offer him .30/dollar to take it off his hands after he fills the fucking hole back in.

My biggest concern is that, if all of this is acceptable to him, what other total trash peasant level shit is totally ok with him? I've seen haji with higher standards than this dumb faggot. He's going to get an education real quick about how this may be acceptable to him, but not to me, and I have all-fucking-day to make you miserable; which I may or may not enjoy doing. Secretly, after the inspector's citations and his insurance threatening him, I'm hoping he knocks on my door so I can let him know what a rat fuck peasant he is.

Last edited:
    On the plus side when it rains you will have a swimming hole or you could stock it with snapping turtles for shits and giggles.

I read some thread on another site yetserday where people basically start a homeless camp on peoples' empty lots and then claim squatters rights and it takes years to get rid of them.

I may just end up finding some people and tempting them with a temporary homeless waterpark.

This is why I couldn’t live in a neighborhood. If I dig a hole and lay a foundation for future use, I don’t need any nosy neighbors poking around wondering what’s going on. Specially not any damn county inspectors looking to fuck me over. Shouldn’t be any damn inspections. Big government overreach on a county level.

my land my business

I dont care about what hes doing; I care that its about to effect my property.

TL-DR.

Please sum up for those of us with short attention spans.

Posted from flight DL1194.

So I live in a uppity 'equestrian' neighborhood and had had an empty lot behind us since the beginning of time. We had at one point thought about buying it, but the facts that A. its honestly the worst lot in the entire neighborhood when you factor in the slope, that its blocked on all sides with no views and its on the corner of our 2 main streets B. the guy who owns it is a builder who bought it at the very peak of the market 10+ years ago, lost his ass, and is holding onto it asking an absurd amount for it (see: basically 2.5x market) and C. eventually trying to sell it if we did move, considering it has been For Sale for over 8 years without a buyer, is pretty much a dumbshit idea.

There's heavy machinery on it, digging holes. Great. They dig out a 30+ foot deep giantic hole for a 2+ story walkout layout house that will be around 4500-6000 sq/ft. Basically they are mirrioring our house as the slope in the land requires you to build a walkout 2 story house.

The earth moving guys build up 2 gigantic 15-20 foot berms with the dug out earth, one of which is sitting 3 feet away from my 7.5ft high block wall seperating our properties. The wife and I immediately said we're going to have a 2-3 foot metal topper built onto it so we never have to see anyone, even if they were on their 2nd story balcony. Whatever, they better be fucking quiet or they'll realize moving in behind me and being white trash is going to be very regrettable for them.

And then..........

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing has happened since mid July. No machinery. No 'permit' board. No dust mitigation. No concrete work. No foundation. No utility end boxes. Nothing.

Week and a half ago I call the city and tell them about my concerns that A. the gigantic berm with tons of dirt, stacked 2 feet from my wall is slowly crumbeling and will basically melt/landslide as soon as we get into the rainy season here shortly and B. the dust coming off of it is basically blowing around everywhere, all the time.

I get a call from the city inspector who actually knew where the lot was right away and he had driven past it multiple times and always wondered WTF was going on there. He asks me about the grade in our yard and how we do when it rains, the dust and to take pictures of their berm in relation to my wall. Calls me back the next day and says the owner is being cited because there is zero dust mitigation and is being told to move the earth, but can have months to do the earth movement as there are some open ended construction timeline guidelines in town. Ugh.

- Guy buys lot (Im sure he got talked into how awesome and what a great price it was by his local mormon buddies)
    - There are ZERO current plans/design plans/permit requests/anything in the system, at all, for this property at this time which is super odd, as they are normally filed together/around the same time with the permit to dig

EL OH EL

I mentioned that when he hears from him about the citations to let him know he can A. pay for my wall topper and B. I want his insurance info so I can narc him out to his insurance as I'm sure they'll love the pictures of the impending disaster that will occur to my property within the next 1-2 months once it starts raining here constantly.

The inspector said he's never seen a dug foundation hole be left for more than a few weeks. He said he has no idea WTF this guy is thinking as when it begins raining here, it's going to turn into a giant swimming pool sink hole and the 10-15k they spent to excavate will be down the drain, literally.

Our guess was that he got financed and then lost the financing and/or got called by the bank and told they needed another X$ money from him in cash, that he didn't have. Or how likely is it he HAD a builder, and then the builder fucked him and hes stuck with land with a giant hole in it that he paid for?

I also googled the owner after finding the buyer info on the county GIS map and there's no fucking way he can afford to live here.

Hopefully he has this on a construction loan thats due in 12-18 months and then I can just show up and offer him .30/dollar to take it off his hands after he fills the fucking hole back in.

My biggest concern is that, if all of this is acceptable to him, what other total trash peasant level shit is totally ok with him? I've seen haji with higher standards than this dumb faggot. He's going to get an education real quick about how this may be acceptable to him, but not to me, and I have all-fucking-day to make you miserable; which I may or may not enjoy doing. Secretly, after the inspector's citations and his insurance threatening him, I'm hoping he knocks on my door so I can let him know what a rat fuck peasant he is.
    Humble brag thread....🤣🤣🤣

You should also let me hang onto all your guns and cool toys, you know for safe keeping in case anything happens to your house.

It's the responsible thing to do🤣🤣🤣

And then..........

Nothing.

EL OH EL

First tiime flipper. He thought he could get into the property and build a small home and flip it. Once he found out the restrictions, he's going to bail and let the bank foreclose.

Reactions: clcustom1911
    I dont care about what hes doing; I care that its about to effect my property.
    I would be seriously worried about heaving your wall with all the weight from the spoil pile.
    I wish you had some pictures of the pile and the wall.
    Taking shit to court after the fact is a long drawn out process that one can lose themselves in, been there done that.

Maybe now is the time to offer to buy the lot (cheap) and fix the mess, it's going to be cheaper in the long run if the guy is already under water.

In my dumbass Yankee-redneck community, occasionally. It usually happens when someone gets froggy with equipment they borrowed from their buddies, and then figures out that, well, there are still zoning rules in this little township. Or they get a bit into a project and find out that dealing with surface water sitting atop the giant slab of clay that we call "soil" is more effort than they anticipated. Or they just run out of money.

But it's pretty rare for something like that to happen with a 6000 sq ft McMansion. When I've seen that in neighboring areas, it's almost always a financial problem or the neighbors have mounted a legal challenge that will take months to resolve. The fact that your local building authorities are in the dark suggests this is a bit of a special fuck-up.

Shit, I thought we had it bad with these big box/prefab builders.

I just have to listen to a bunch of Karens on the FB group bitch at and demand Zoom meetings with the developer because the tot lot wasn’t built on time.

My guess,

Had appraisal issues and bank wouldn’t finance the whole house build after he spent too much money the land. Seems like a good way to buy a piece of land for cheap at auction here before too long.

Reactions: RTH1800
    From what I've seen, construction costs have shot up since about then. Might have had to put the whole deal on hold for a bit.

I could see that putting the brakes on a big build, but that doesn't explain the lack of planning or permitting.

I would be seriously worried about heaving your wall with all the weight from the spoil pile.
    Taking shit to court after the fact is a long drawn out process that one can lose themselves in, been there done that.

Maybe now is the time to offer to buy the lot (cheap) and fix the mess, it's going to be cheaper in the long run if the guy is already under water.

I'm waiting to see what the inspector comes back with after the guy contacts him as he is required to call and speak about the issues. He also wants to find out about the builder situation, see if the guy tells him WTF is going on, is made aware of the pending mudslide and gets insurance infomation.

If my guess is right, he's financially fucked already.

I dont care they're building or that there's a hole. Whatever. What I care about is that its about to start ranining all of the time, there's no permits for any work even in the pipeline that could be done before said rain, and the outcome is huge damage to my stuff.

My guess,

Had appraisal issues and bank wouldn’t finance the whole house build after he spent too much money the land. Seems like a good way to buy a piece of land for cheap at auction here before too long.

This is what I think.

They got some sort of 'stated income' loan as well as collateralized the land or something and then the bank found out it was all bullshit and wanted additional down payments.

In my dumbass Yankee-redneck community, occasionally. It usually happens when someone gets froggy with equipment they borrowed from their buddies, and then figures out that, well, there are still zoning rules in this little township. Or they get a bit into a project and find out that dealing with surface water sitting atop the giant slab of clay that we call "soil" is more effort than they anticipated. Or they just run out of money.

But it's pretty rare for something like that to happen with a 6000 sq ft McMansion. When I've seen that in neighboring areas, it's almost always a financial problem or the neighbors have mounted a legal challenge that will take months to resolve. The fact that your local building authorities are in the dark suggests this is a bit of a special fuck-up.

The extra weird thing is, he had a builder at one point. They were the guys there the first day.

Then they disappeared and there's no builder on file with the city.

If it were me
    I would seriously consider buying some rolls of visqueen sheeting with nylon reinforcement in it and cover the dirt.

Man I feel for you because this is going to be a long drawn out affair.

And then..........

Nothing.

EL OH EL

go to your countys online acess to the clerk of the court.
    type in all the entity names for him that you have

You may never know about someone's finances, the guy could have bought AMZN or TSLA stock and have $$$$ in gains. That said, he could also be the general contractor (as I have done) so not necessarily a red flag. That said, I suspect by the lack of permits and plans he is in over his head - like you mentioned, someone might have sold the lot and a promise to build cheap - then after closing, that didn't materialize. Your best bet might be to acquire the lot (cheap) and grade it appropriately and leave as green space.

Anytime there is an abnormality (like an empty lot nearby - or a kid with rings in his head and a backpack), expect (plan for) possible chaos.

• Haha
    Reactions: deersniper
    If the guy got shut down during the Appraisal process, he is likely in a world of hurt.
    He may be in a financial crisis that would allow an interested party (YOU) to aquire the site at a price that gets him out from underneath his literal money pit. You then have control of the site and can plant pretty wild flowers and avoid the next dipshit from similar plans.

And then..........

Nothing.

EL OH EL

Shoot you caught me... My plan was for it to flash flood and take you out looking like an accident so I could be the sole warlord in Utah when it goes south....

If it were me I would spend an hour with a real estate attorney to discuss the potential damages, how to make him pay for mitigation, and what steps to take to make sure the liability follows the property. Just so some third party doesn't buy it as is for more than you want to pay.

Methinks you've solved the problem, right there. The answer to this whole dilemma is "under water".

Help the neighbor out,,, Baptize him till the bubbles stop. (saw that on a movie, once)

I’ve been a builder for over 32 years, I’m in awe that the city isn’t stepping in. My best advice is to take lots of pictures, document dates, times and what you’ve seen take place. I’d consider getting a soils engineer to take a look at your property and document the conditions and how they might affect your property. Documentation is king if you need to take him to court for damages. I’d email the city and stay on there ass it’s a public hazard especially if he’s taken no protective measures such as temp. fencing and silt fencing exc. good luck.

Last edited:
    He wouldn't be from Hildale or Colorado city would he. Cause those fucks don't give 2 shits about anything.

If it were me
    I would seriously consider buying some rolls of visqueen sheeting with nylon reinforcement in it and cover the dirt.

Man I feel for you because this is going to be a long drawn out affair.

This! Plus install silt fencing between the pile and your wall, preferably close to the base of the pile.

This! Plus install silt fencing between the pile and your wall, preferably close to the base of the pile.

The inspector said the biggest citation right now is that they are required to undertake dirt/dust mitigation the day they break ground; that never happened and is one of the biggest things that is annoying me as it is literally sandblasting us over here.

I told the inspector to let stupid fuck know that I'd be totally fine with him paying for the privacy topper we're putting ontop of the wall since they're building. It was kind of a 2 way thing where, feel free to pay for this you dick as well as, surprise, your new neighbors are building this huge thing on their wall you now get to stare at. P.S. - Eat a dick.

The conversation between him and the inspector will shed alot of light on everything. I'm hoping he spills on whats going on; noone digs a fucking 15k hole for a house and then think it'll be fine in 5-6+ months later. Also, why not just wait until you're ready to build? Not like you had to dig.

All of these weird aspects really make me think some sort of financial clusterfuck is occuring.

I’ve been a builder for over 32 years, I’m in awe that the city isn’t stepping in. My best advice is to take lots of pictures, documents dates, times and what you’ve seen take place. I’d consider getting a soils engineer to take a look at your property and document the conditions and how they might affect your property. Documentation is king if you need to take him to court for damages. I’d email the city and stay on there ass it’s a public hazard especially if he’s taken no protective measure such as temp. fencing and silt fencing exc. good luck.

Most areas I’ve worked were pretty Thorough at enforcement of erosion and sediment ordnance’s.
    As above document everything.

I’ve been a builder for over 32 years, I’m in awe that the city isn’t stepping in. My best advice is to take lots of pictures, document dates, times and what you’ve seen take place. I’d consider getting a soils engineer to take a look at your property and document the conditions and how they might affect your property. Documentation is king if you need to take him to court for damages. I’d email the city and stay on there ass it’s a public hazard especially if he’s taken no protective measures such as temp. fencing and silt fencing exc. good luck.

How 'this guy is fucking screwed' does this scenerio rate on your meter with your experience?

Does your subdivision have any covenants that are included in the contract from the developer? If so, I would reach out to the developer, as it would be their legal responsibility for the legal enforce of those covenants. Usually, if a builder starts, but cannot complete a project, it will fall to the bonding company to finish the project and then go after builder to be made whole. I’d start with the land developer and go from there. If you don’t find anything, I’d go to the county seat and do a title search on the land and search for liens, both from banks and for property taxes that may be owed. If a bank owns it, you may be able to get an attorney to pressure the bank into foreclosing, turn around a purchase the property for a song. It a game that sometimes developers will play by selling a property, waiting until a builder/owner gets sideways, and then swoop in with the bank, foreclose on the property and then buy the land back from the bank.

Land development if the business of contractual fuckery. If you decide to go after the land via an attorney pushing on the bank, set up a trust or LLC to do it. It will cost you a couple hundred bucks, but it will help to insulate you from a potential loss if the developer attempts some bullshit.
    Hopefully, your developer is a decent entity and all of the above will not be needed.

Reactions: 0dd
    I agree 100%.
    Devildog,
    You think someone that‘s got family in the city council is either the developer, builder, or property owner?

There’s a push by the EPA as to run off from job sites, run off silts in water ways and local storm sewers. We have strict rules we follow and if you don‘t control your erosion and runoff from your job site the fines are steep and the City will shut you down here. Silt fences, straw waddles exc. are a must and I’d tell you if the city won’t help I’d take it up a notch and go over there head. I’d let them know also, again I’d keep all my correspondence in emails to keep that documentation chain going.

As for what will happen to him, idk. He’s probably broke and suckered someone into a big down payment moved some dirt and split. It happens more then you think.

I'm not looking to start a fight- and if it's going to damage your property then you have to do what you have to do.....

But it always amazes me how quick people want to get government involved. Even on a firearm forum, where people bitch about all of the regulations- as soon as a problem arrives -"get the epa...get the.... And then we wonder why government thinks they can tell us what we can and cannot do. We invite them into our lives far to much.

Most people don't actually want less regulations, they want less regulations for them. And then to have a say in what other people can do.

I’ve been we’re your at, I think to help make your decision and free up some stress you have to decide what you’ll use the spotter for? Do you spot for friends or shoot matches? Hunting? Spotting holes in paper targets? Not sure what your needs are.

I also have a Mark 4 it works, the glass is ok it depends largely on the conditions. A lot of times I wish I didn’t have a reticle as well, I’m saving for a Swaro STR myself.

I’d also think about portability exc, its a few hundred more but I’ve heard great things about the Kowa TSN-553. You should hit up @gr8fuldoug he‘d take good care of you, I know there having sales right now As well. Good luck.
    I agree 100%.
    Devildog,
    You think someone that‘s got family in the city council is either the developer, builder, or property owner?
    It’s possible, a lot of the high rolling builders here are well connected to banks, realtors, developers and the movers and shakers. It’s all good till the state or feds get there sorry asses. I laugh when these assholes end up in jail, they make lots of money normally by playing outside the rules. They think there above the law then they get nailed. I’ve seen it many times.

I'm not looking to start a fight- and if it's going to damage your property then you have to do what you have to do.....

But it always amazes me how quick people want to get government involved. Even on a firearm forum, where people bitch about all of the regulations- as soon as a problem arrives -"get the epa...get the.... And then we wonder why government thinks they can tell us what we can and cannot do. We invite them into our lives far to much.

Most people don't actually want less regulations, they want less regulations for them. And then to have a say in what other people can do.

Leftists running to the federal government to ban guns or provide free health care or to shut down "hate speech" is government overreach.

Complaining to my local township because some dingbat is acting in a way that potentially threatens my property rights is the exact purpose for which government should exist.

If more people addressed their grievances at a local level, this country would have a fuck-ton fewer problems.

Reactions: Bender
    I don't know where you live, but we can't put a shovel in the ground without having a permit from the county. Also, you could check with your utility company and see if he went through Miss Utility or whatever they call it in your town. If he didn't, he's looking at a massive fine just for that alone.

Builder is underwater on the lot and can't recover the money so his only option is to use the lot to make his money back. Digs the hole pretending to start a home with the intent of using the lot to bury spent uranium.

• Haha
    Reactions: Dpp
    Leftists running to the federal government to ban guns or provide free health care or to shut down "hate speech" is government overreach.

Complaining to my local township because some dingbat is acting in a way that potentially threatens my property rights is the exact purpose for which government should exist.

If more people addressed their grievances at a local level, this country would have a fuck-ton fewer problems.
    I agree, however many times local alliances between the parties that Devildog mentioned in his post can complicate things. And the real SOBs will have the same thing going on at the state level.

I don't know where you live, but we can't put a shovel in the ground without having a permit from the county. Also, you could check with your utility company and see if he went through Miss Utility or whatever they call it in your town. If he didn't, he's looking at a massive fine just for that alone.

He got the dig permit, but that was it. Usually the plans and everything are submitted before/at the time of the dig permit.

Past the excavation, they haven't even submitted anything.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    Sounds like a problem poors would be concerned with.

My reasoning wasn't to get them involved. It was to use their guidelines to get them to do the legwork for me.

Primarily, I'm after the guys' insurance information. Finding out what the actual problem is and/or causing him more problems is icing.

^^This is why you may be able to avoid all this crap and just buy the lot at a discount from the idiot owner\builder or from the bank as a pre-forclosure.
    Getting lawyers, engineers and city and county inspectors involved can get drawn out and expensive. And time consuming. Plus neighbors suck ass. Purchase some privacy if you intend to stay.

Reactions: Ravenworks

Call the water quality number and maybe they will ride by and do an inspection. Make sure you get them hooked up with the city inspector as well as they usually know the regs and can help move the inspection along.

Of course, you may hear back from the inspector before DEQ even thinks about doing an inspection during