• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Step up to a Dillon 650XL?

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    Ok, Have been thinking about looking into a Dillon Loader for some time now. Any input you guys can provide would be great.

I have been loading a lot of different rounds on an old RCBS RC. I am getting more and more pinched on time to dedicate to reloading.

I was told that a 650XL and even a couple of there smaller units would be great for what I am loading.

The bulk of my loading goes towards a .243 match round. First question is will the powder charge be accurate enough for me?

If it is, why don't I have one already?

Does anyone use one of these for loading there precision rifle ammo? Just never been around one, and don't really want to drop that much cash and not use it.

If it would work like the few mentioned, I would look at loading .223 for AR use, .243 for bolt gun match, and that would be about it. I would still keep my RCBS RC for .338LM, .260, .22-250, and my .243 varmint loads (smaller qty stuff).

Thoughts, Input?

Re: Step up to a Dillon 650XL?

As anyone will tell you, the weak link on the XL650 and all dillon presses is the powder system. Its a great unit if you are using ball powder and are ok with +/- .2 grains.

But if you use stick powders like Varget, +/- .5 grains is not unheard of.

I love my xl650 for .223 plinking rounds, but I would never, and I mean never! load mach ammo on it.

Strip down the powder measure, polish all running surfaces, lube with dry-lube (I use moly).

That + a consistent stroke when you run the press and I get +/- 0.3 grains WITH lincoln logs like 4064 all day long.

I only run the Dillon 650 and love it generally speaking. For my .40S&W. .45ACP and .223, it can't be beat. (IMO)

I use mine for match .308 grade ammo too, but in a much modified process. I use it to resize, seat primers and to seat bullets, but in separate steps. I never drop powder charges in my match ammo with the Dillon, it's just not consistent enough for me.

I can't justify more $$ for more presses (yet) so I make do. It's a little more time consuming on the match ammo, but it also kicks butt on the production stuff. Seriously easy to do 1k of .40 or .45 in 4 hrs.

For a lot less money you can have the Hornady AP. It has a superior powder measure to the Dillon; some are having excellent results with it, but I can't say it will be accurate enough for your needs.

The trade-off with any progressive is compromising the powder dispensing and brass preparation. Think through your process. If you do anything with your brass after resizing, a progressive loses a lot of its advantage. It may be that the ChargeMaster Combo is the tool you're looking for to speed up your reloading.

The following thread should give you some good input:

www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php...rue#Post1009841

Agreed I have had a few dillons and I only use the powder measure for plinking loads , even polishing the powder dispender cone and using moly still gets me .2 to .3 gr swings.
    I have removed it and hand dump each load for the accuraty in a match oad using a Acculab VIC 123 scale it measures to .02 grains

or you could get a 550 B with the adapter to use a redding powder drop?
    Bill

I use a Dillon for handgun and rifle, but, if I'm loading stick powders, I use a Chargemaster.

It's still a LOT faster than my Rockchucker.

Stick to the pistol rounds and plinking ammo on the 650. I wouldn't load accurate rifle ammo on it. I only load 9 and .40 on mine.

Jason I have been trying to make this on my own it allows you to use multiple stages for reloading and put a accurate load in at the powder station . I am using a acculab VIC 123 measuring to +-.05 gr

Thanks for the info I will post it to see if anyone has used it and theeir thoughts. its not cheap at $92.00 shipped each???