• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stevens 200 and B&C Medalist Fit

marksmatter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2011
ATL
Hi - long time lurker here. Tons of great info on this site. Finally getting around to building what I hope will be a great precision rifle.

I started with a Stevens 200. I was excited today as my B&C Medalist stock arrived, and I got to change out the stock.

Looking down the barrel channel, the barrel is definitely closer on one side than the other. On the left side, at the end of the channel, there is about 0.21" of space, while only about 0.15" on the right. Once I replace the barrel with a bull, some sanding would likely be required.

Is this to be expected, or is this an anomaly? I do not have that much experience with stocks, so was not sure.

Re: Stevens 200 and B&C Medalist Fit

On both my Savage A2 Medalists the barrel channel had to be relieved to ensure a good free float with a varmint-contour barrel; also had to do a little tweaking so it would work with the Accutrigger but neither were a particularly big deal to me.

5 minutes with a 1" dowel rod and sandpaper should easily do the trick; with a full bull barrel it might take you another 5 minutes.

Many thanks for putting my mind at ease, BoilerUP. I am not opposed to a little sanding at all. Just wanted to make sure I was not starting out with a huge problem.

A 1" hunk of dowel with 60 grit wrapped around it makes short work of the job. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike308bell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the Stevens 200 fits into the B&C savage stocks ? </div></div>

Short action Stevens 200 will fit into the A2 Medalist that fits their action screw spacing (4.27" or 4.41", depending on age).

Long action Stevens 200, you're stuck with the Duramaxx because BC seems to think there's no market for a long action Savage tactical stock.