• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stew Smith: Anyone use his programs?

Nachtadler

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 21, 2010
Iowa City
I've been searching around for some fitness programs that are geared toward getting people in shape for special forces, particularly the Green Berets and Rangers. I came across this gentleman named Stew Smith, who is a former SEAL gone nutrition and fitness expert. Has anyone here used any of his programs? Are they quality programs? Is there anything out there that is better that I should be looking for? His stuff seems solid and in my limited experience he appears to really know his stuff.

I'm looking for a fitness program that starts out slow and easy, but terminates at an extremely high level of physical fitness. I need it to start easy because I have almost no history of physical activity. I'm not that far out of shape, but neither am I in shape. So far Mr. Smith's program seems like the best thing, but if anyone knows of anything better or anything I can use to supplement the workouts, I'd appreciate some enlightenment. I've been looking into the P90X program mentioned here and it seems like it would be like an excellent place to start.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Re: Stew Smith: Anyone use his programs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm scared of anything someone says special forces use. Can't say I've heard of his program though. </div></div>

It's not something special forces use. He designed it as a way to get in good enough shape to be able to have a good shot at training and not get sent home due to injury. Or so he says, anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nachtadler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm scared of anything someone says special forces use. Can't say I've heard of his program though. </div></div>

It's not something special forces use. He designed it as a way to get in good enough shape to be able to have a good shot at training and not get sent home due to injury. Or so he says, anyway. </div></div>

I'm sometimes overly skeptical so maybe it's a good system. I know that there's a book a lot of people have recommended to prepare people for indoc and their preliminary schools that's well regarded by people that've survived selection etc.

Just can't for the life of me remember what it was
smile.gif

I have one of Stew Smith's books "The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness". The 12 Week program is a butt kicker. I only know a couple guys who can do each daily workout for all twelve weeks, and I'm not one of them. Some of the harder days call for 300 pushups, 600 situps, 100 pullups, 3 mile swims, 5 mile runs, etc.

Those are all really good goals to shoot for, but his recommended routine might seem like overtraining. Since you said you have no history of fitness, you might want start at a more relaxed pace. Maybe start at 50% of each daily workout and go from there.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information guys. It seems like I have several good places to start now.