• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr Pro THB thoughts

Not that particular variant. I have a Pro Hunter and a Scout in .376 so I’m familiar with the SBS action. Also had a Copper edition Scout in 308 that I took to Africa on a plains game hunt. They are nice rifles, smooth action with good trigger. I like the SBS system in that you can lock the striker. Only negatives are not many accessories out there for them and the Pro Hunter stock has a flexy forend. You can stiffen the forend up if needed but I don’t think you should have to at that price point.

I, too, have a Pro Hunter (mine is chambered in 30-06), and really like it. Boyd's offers stocks for them, and I dropped mine into a Prairie Hunter in the Coyote color scheme. I haven't worked up a load for it yet, but on its maiden outing it was putting up roughly 1 MOA 5-shot groups using off-the-shelf Barnes ammo; certainly good enough for your average hunting rifle (those 5-round strings get the barrel plenty warm, and shooting through mirage didn't help). I suspect that there is accuracy to be found in the ammo, and have already loaded up some rounds to try an OCW test.

In any event, I think that they're great as a hunting gun in that they have a lot of features that make them nice for that application (the three-position safety, the two-stage magazine seating, light-weight barrels), but I can't really speak (at this time) to the ultimate accuracy potential of a more tactically-oriented heavy (well, heavier) barreled variant.