• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SBS opinions please

Wareagle

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2006
Perry,Ga
I have a fellow wanting to trade me a LNIB Steyr SBS stainless 308. Has two stocks along with the rifle. Walnut and Syn. I don't know jack about Steyr so inform me please. I know they're a quality rifle but don't know anything else about them.
Thanks

Re: Steyr SBS opinions please

i have a .270 with the synthetic stock and i love it. had it for around 8 years or so and has been great. very accurate and reliable. i like the safe bolt system and the detachable mag alot. supposedly they have a user adjustable trigger but i have never messed with mine, no complaints at all with the trigger.

I shot a 30-06 in one awhile and the accuracy beat any factory rifle I ever had. My buddy's kid sweet talked it away. He's a 1st Lt in the Corps now and won't trade it away. Hey Tyler if you're reading this. Why don't you write? Just kiddin.

Have owned several over the years and sold many as well. No complaints from anyone that I remember and I thoroughly enjoyed mine. Not sure how I ended up without one in my safe right now, to be honest. My favorite was my 25-06.

i have a .376 Steyr Pro-Hunter (20" bbl) and that thing is scary accurate to 700 yards (after that the 1.5-5 Mk4 is the limiting factor). i like this rifle.

War eagle,

I've owned a few of the SBS rifles in different calibres and configurations. They have all shot out the box - I think the hammer forged barrel and chamber has something to do with it?

The triggers a fully adjustable and the safety system is very good but if you're thinking about barrel changes then this is not a straight forward process.

I go rid of my last 2 Steyr's and will not, personnaly, buy any more for this reason: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...-from-Iran.html

Now, this might just be smoke and mirrors but as I will stress, this is my personnal stance - you simply do not deal with your enemies.

Brgds English

PS - Frank, if this falls into the 'political' box I apologies T

War eagle,
I have a steyr sbs Tactical HB. They are awesome rifles out of the box, but as mentioned, its near impossible to replace the barrels.
You can buy more magazines directly from Steyr usa, and they also have an adaptor kit to use 10 round mags instead of four. Other than that, if you really want to make a good build, Mcmillan offers a stock for the steyr sbs that is a great improvement over the stock flimsy grey plastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrClean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite was my 25-06. </div></div>

Me too. I sure do miss that rifle.

I'm leaving the house in 20 min to pick up my new Stainless 7mm remington magnum pro hunter. Can't wait to get it. I'll let you know how it shoots.

Hmm, Wareagle probably didn't wait until now... Anyway, here in Europe, Steyr Mannlicher is a really famous name.

Since it has been resurrected, I think the SBS is a better rifle than "equivalent" American guns. I have a .308 HB in a McMillan stock that shoots wonderfully, especially for a factory gun with factory ammo and an unbedded stock. I would not hesitate for a moment to buy another Steyr.