• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr Scout tactical rifle Thoughts......

BMelton

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Moss Bluff, La
Anyone have any insight to offer on the Steyr Scout Tactical rifles. Someone posted a picture of one with a stainless barrel and I have seen them before. Just want some background or history from a first hand user. It looks very apealing. Might give one a try

Re: Steyr Scout tactical rifle Thoughts......

There are at least a few guys here who have given one a try at some point or another, myself included. In the end most conclude that it is of limited utility in this day in age and you would probably be better served with either a modern AR-type carbine or a precision rifle setup in the classic sense.

I appreciate what the Steyr SCOUT offered up in concept, but the package was poorly executed. An aluminum receiver with press fit barrel an numerous other features detracted from what could have been much more useful. There are a few builders that do a very well executed SCOUT package....Check out www.grizzlycustom.com.

The scout set up is a lot of fun, unfortunately the Steyr has its drawbacks as mentioned above, but Savage, Tikka, and Springfield make scout models also. For that matter, any good gunsmith can turn a standard rifle into a scout. Question is, can you live with the limited field of view. Right now there are only two long eye-relief scopes on the market, Burris and Leupold. Some people use pistol scopes, but then you are limiting the field of view below 20' at 100, where the IER scopes are above 30'.

they are an excellent light weight scout rifle. They come with a spare magazine that is carried in the butt stock. I really liked the Steyr .308 that I had.

I think you are referring to this pic of my rifle:

IMG_0246.jpg

I think it's a high quality well made rifle that has some limitations. If I lived in the USA I would have an AR in a heartbeat but here in Australia we are not quite as free!

My Scout currently wears a SWFA but I have a Trijicon TR24 on it's way that will better suit this rifle and it's intended use. During load development I found that it is consistently around .65 moa with the odd screamer group capability. I'm more than happy with the accuracy.

Improvements/current limitations as I see them:

No Switch Barrel capability. No picatinny rail over the bolt. Not able to use 10 round mags without converting the stock and ruining the balance of the rifle. Not an easily adjustable trigger. A quick detach Harris or Atlas would be a far better alternative to the integrated Bipod.

That might sound like I don't like the rifle and that is certainly not the case, it's quality, accurate and lighweight but it could be even better. If it had the ability to switch bbl for length, caliber and profile it would be awesome.

I'm no fan of the forward mounted scope option, with true 1x variables available today they are redundant in my opinion.

If a scout rifle appeals buy one of these:
DSC05810.jpg

Add DBM and other mods and you can simply re-barrel when/if needed.

Good luck,
Rath

I am very pleased with my Styr Scout in 308. I had to get rid of the forward mounted scope though, it’s a cool concept but to me it was about like using iron sights at 200 or beyond. I mounted a 2 X 7 over the receiver and it has proven to be a very accurate and handy package. I adjusted the trigger just enough to get rid of all the creep and am very happy with it. It shoots 168 TSXs and Nosler CC right about the 1” mark at 100 but a 165 Nosler ballistic tip shoots like buckshot. I would recommend buying the Steyr Scout rifle for what it is and not for something another rifle is better suited for.

A Scout should have either DBM or the ability to feed off clips. Most civilian rifles have neither.

I've had my Steyr scout for about 8 years now and love it as a back up hunting rifle. It's a good shooter also and can generally put handloads under .750 @100 yds with bullets in the 150gr range, sorry I don't have my data in fornt of me. Like most of you I first tried the 2.5X eer scope and ended up mounting a Leupold 1.5-5X which suits the rifle well although i would love to have one of the new MK4 2.5-8s someday.

One a side note, I traded for one of the Ruger Frontier 16" barrel cardines in 308 and have fallen in love with it. Like the Steyr I have mounted a standard Leupold 2.5-8X and not a scout scope on it but I did leave the scout rail on(which is removable) to add a bit of weigh up front. I was pretty dissapointed with accuracy in this rifle. I first did a trigger job and lapped the lugs with little effect. I then glass bedded the receiver-bottom metal and about 2" of the chamber area which also had little effect. Finally I lead lapped the barrel with 1500 grit sc lapping compound followed by Flitz and she came to life. My groups with handloads are around .625-.750 @100 if I take my time (It doesn't like a hot barrel) and it also shoots factory Ultramax 165 SPs and Fed 150 NBTs under 1" (all of my groups are 5 shot). FYI, I also shot it with the scout base removed during my testing and noticed no difference in accuracy. This rifle goes with me everywhere in my pick up and handles great! For the money they are a great little package with a bit of tuning.

Colby

Rath, your tactical stock version is the one. you are correct. thanks for the post<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are referring to this pic of my rifle:

IMG_0246.jpg

I think it's a high quality well made rifle that has some limitations. If I lived in the USA I would have an AR in a heartbeat but here in Australia we are not quite as free!

My Scout currently wears a SWFA but I have a Trijicon TR24 on it's way that will better suit this rifle and it's intended use. During load development I found that it is consistently around .65 moa with the odd screamer group capability. I'm more than happy with the accuracy.

Improvements/current limitations as I see them:

No Switch Barrel capability. No picatinny rail over the bolt. Not able to use 10 round mags without converting the stock and ruining the balance of the rifle. Not an easily adjustable trigger. A quick detach Harris or Atlas would be a far better alternative to the integrated Bipod.

That might sound like I don't like the rifle and that is certainly not the case, it's quality, accurate and lighweight but it could be even better. If it had the ability to switch bbl for length, caliber and profile it would be awesome.

I'm no fan of the forward mounted scope option, with true 1x variables available today they are redundant in my opinion.

If a scout rifle appeals buy one of these:
DSC05810.jpg

Add DBM and other mods and you can simply re-barrel when/if needed.

Good luck,
Rath </div></div>

Rath,

I'd love to see pic of the scout when you get the Trijicon!!!