• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr Scout

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents, been doing some reading up on these the past few days, any owners out there? Opinions on this as a multi-purpose rifle, fitted with say a NXS 2.5-10x32?

Keep in mind that in Australia they run about the same as a Rem XCR, second hand ones about the same as a rem LTR.

Thanks
Rath

Re: Steyr Scout

The Scouts are fine rifles and excellent options for "all around"/multi-role rifles. The ones I have fired are all at least MOA capable and with the proper ammunition (match or handloaded), they are easily sub-MOA capable.

As for pairing one with a scope like a Nightforce 2.5-10x, not a bad option, but it is larger and heavier than the standard 2.5x scout scope. Also, you'll have to receiver mount it instead of the EER mounting of the scout scope. Still, the NF is only 12" long and only about 1.25lbs, so it is still light and compact enough to be pretty effective on the scout.

All said and done...you'll have a rifle capable of excellent accuracy and one that will be easy to maneuver and carry around in just about any conditions.

If used ones are the same as an LTR then that is cheap. Here you could not touch one for 1000-1200. Depends upon if you are just buying the rifle or getting it in the hard case with the Leupold LER M8 scope.

Thanks,
Mark

Jump on it!!
I have not used my scout with the scope in the forward poistion for a couple of years, I have it mounted conventionally.

Great shooter, great trigger, good magazine, nice wieght, great length, very good sling set up.

Mine is a keeper...did I mention it shoots and carries great?;)

Pm me for any questions you may have.

Thank you,

Jordan

for the $$ I would take the LTR...a lot more aftermarket bits and pieces and I have found Steyr support here in the US to be lacking...

Thanks for the feedback.

I take the point that there is more aftermarket gear for the rem, but do you need aftermarket for the scout?? I'm looking for something I don't want/need to alter, just a jack off all trades rifle.

I have a Steyr Scout 'Tactical'.....can't fault it as an all round shooter...I use it mainly for deer over here, it shoots very well too...i'm getting a single hole at 100m with 168gr A-max, 54.1gr of N-160, Federal Primer and Sako Brass....it will never out shoot my TRG 22, but then i'd rather carry the Scout all day than the TRG 22...Damn fine stick in my opinion, thinking of getting one in .223 now too...

I have owned a .223, 7-08 & a 376 Steyr. They were all very accurate & well mannered. All of mine shot most handloads & factory ammo right at or sub MOA. The 376 Steyr had a lot less recoil than I thought it would. Folks at that time were not thrilled with the 19.25" bbl. until they saw it shoot. I used both the conventional & scout scope mounting areas & preferred the scout for hunting & conventional for bi-pod & bench work. I highly recommend them. If it were to get down to choosing only one rifle I feel that you would be hard pressed to do better.
Semper Fi

Update,

Shot a SS today, simply brilliant. Everything about it says quality, love the vault like bolt closure and the ergonomics, trigger had a fair bit of take up but once engaged it's excellent. I had no problem wacking the gong at 200 & 300 meters offhand. Placed an order, should have it in about a month.

Cheers,
Rath

You won't be disappointed!! The Scouts are just excellent!!

As for the trigger...it is a typical two-stage trigger with some take-up/travel before engaging and ultimately firing. The trigger can be adjusted for weight of pull down to as low as around 2lbs. They usually come from the factory set around 3.5-4lbs. I wouldn't go any lower than 3lbs for a multi=purpose tactical/hunting rifle for obvious reasons.