• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 08 A1 .308 barrel twist

Hardball56

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Hi, I have a Steyr SSG O8 A1 in .308 with the 20 inch barrel. for the life of me, I can not find what the twist is! not on the website etc, anyone know?
Thanks!

Why not just measure the twist?
I will look into the method…I guess measure the number of rotations of cleaning brush as it moves down the barrel. Thanks. While I have many precision rifles I have just begun serious XLR and the use of ballistic calculations. Love the constant learning…

I will look into the method…I guess measure the number of rotations of cleaning brush as it moves down the barrel. Thanks. While I have many precision rifles I have just begun serious XLR and the use of ballistic calculations. Love the constant learning…
I use a patch on a knurled jag, run it to the muzzle end, make a 12 oclock timing mark on the rod, pull the rod back and stop when the timing mark reaches 12 oclock again. Then measure the distance between those two points. You could average it over multiple rotations if you like.

I use a patch on a knurled jag, run it to the muzzle end, make a 12 oclock timing mark on the rod, pull the rod back and stop when the timing mark reaches 12 oclock again. Then measure the distance between those two points. You could average it over multiple rotations if you like.
Excellent. I have been setting up ballistics data for all of my rifles. Taking forever… however you can never have too many rifles as I tell my wife!

I will try that on my SCAR 20s. The newer model has 1:10 as opposed to 1:8 on the older. Not sure if mine is right when they changed.

Also will check my HamR CheyTac .375.

I appreciate the help!!