• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

STEYR SSG 69 PII

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
What are the opinions on this rifle ?

The barrel is press fit (not threaded) how difficult is it to replace the barrel ?

Thanks

I know exactly zero about these rifles but I would think that a gunsmith with pressfit rimfire experience could replace one satisfactory. I would maybe give Mark Chesebro at Chesebro Rifles a call. He has taken over for MT guns and does plenty of centerfire and rimfire builds as a place to start.

Which PII? From what I remember the K model has a threaded barrel into the receiver and "maybe" some of the later generations of ssg69's.... my opinion regardless is that they are still outstanding rifles.

I have been shooting the P2 for over 25 years and they are great rifles. They do have pressed in barrels (at least all i have seen).
They probably fall into a vintage category now.

Reactions: Moose
I use to own the P2 with a 20" barrel and it was a very nice rifle.It had a press fit barrel.

The barrel is press fit (not threaded) how difficult is it to replace the barrel ?
Here's an article worth reading that expresses the pros and cons of the SSG-69: http://www.snipercentral.com/steyr-ssg69-pi-with-kahles-zf84/

I have wanted a SSG-69 PII for a few years now, and recently acquired a proper European 10x scope (see pics 1&2)....but I still don't have a rifle.

I don't fully understand how barrel replacement would work in the USA given the special equipment needed for the press fit and receiver pre-heating, but apparently it can be done, as evidenced in this UK gunsmith's informative website article of an SSG-69 rechambered in 6.5x47mm Lapua:

Attachments

• SSG-69 parts3_right.jpg
    SSG-69 parts3_right.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Kahles ZF95_rear_ocular.jpg
    Kahles ZF95_rear_ocular.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 114
  • S_Korean_sniper_SSG-69.jpg
    S_Korean_sniper_SSG-69.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 101
  • steyr_ssg_69_l1.jpg
    steyr_ssg_69_l1.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 858
  • SSG-69_excerpt.jpg
    SSG-69_excerpt.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Thanks
Have seen a lot of comments questioning barrel replacement for the SSG 69 which is pressed/ thermal interference, shrink fit. I've pondered this myself having owned an SSG for nearly thirty years myself. Have done a bit of hobby machining over the years, chambered, threaded and installed a .22 barrel on an old Remington rolling block just for fun. Removing the SSG barrel could be done by sawing it off just ahead of the receiver. Then drill out most of the shank wall thickness followed by careful boring until wall thickness is paper thin. The remnant would easily collapse and be pulled out of the receiver bore. The receiver could then easily be single point threaded to standard barrel threads. Everything would be a standard re-barrel from there. Or, at that point follow the section in the Machinery's Handbook on on shrink fitting and copy Steyr's method of production. Personally, I'd go with the threading receiver.