• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 69 PIV 308

wildcats

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2005
    Honolulu,HI
    Anyone own one of this rifles or know what they are going for this days in LNIB condition?
    Any info is appreciated

index.jpg

Reactions: 504tom
    Hi Wildcats - I had one of these PIVs for about 18 months - mine was a double set trigger model. I paid about $1200 for it (because I really wanted one) and ended up selling it for $1175 - with many improvements to the system that did NOT affect accuracy. I provided these items to the new owner because the Steyr pieces are proprietary and even proprietary to the SSG line. Everything about the PIV is a complete solution to the urban-theatre, police/SWAT-sniper, medium range precision shooter. Compact, well laid out and .30 caliber downrange performance. The flash hider is very effective and brings the visual balance of the rifle into form. The PIV was designed specifically for urban European police/SWAT forces and as a package with scope mounts included. As well, many units in Europe were shipped with factory matched, over-barrell suppressors - a complete solution! In my case, I believe that the barrel of my PIV was close to shot out and I just couldn't be bothered to keep fighting it. I put a lot of rounds downrange while I sorted out the peripheral details. I had the rifle topped with factory Steyr Q/R rings and a Vortex G1 Viper PST 4-16. I tried 165, 168, 175, 178 and 220 grain bullets with a variety of powders at 100 yards for proving - (220 was a subsonic round that would not stabilize). I loved the trigger group and the dimensions, it just would not shoot. On the plus side of the PIV, if you need to have this rifle re-barrelled, it can be done much more easily that any other SSG - the PIV is the only SSG in the line that has a barrel that threads into the receiver vs. a heat and press manner of attachment. To have a PIV is to hold a very rare piece of very purpose-driven kit - definitely not a plain vanilla rifle. In fighting form, it should deliver lights-out performance in it's intended range of operations - urban to medium range engagements.

So, my first concern would be: Is this rifle NEW? If as a seller, you can't guarantee that, I'm going to pass on this and any rifle and would encourage potetial buyers to pass as well. As a buyer, be VERY choosy unless you MUST have a PIV and have buckets of money to burn. If you MUST have a PIV, then you're going to wait, or your going to pay. PIVs don't come up often and when they do, they command a premium - DO NOT be wooed by passion for this beast.

Some words of caution: The trigger guard and the magazine well are surrounded with a very brittle plastic. If you over-torque the action screws it will split the plastic and ruin the rifle as the mag well will be uselessly fucked. Steyr has a metal reinforced bottom piece, but it will cost you $80 and mail, trouble and post to Bessemer (Birmingham), AL. Magazines will cost nearly $60 for a 5 round rotary -- IF you can find a 10 round box mag, it will cost nearly $200. The Anschutz rail on the bottom will run you around to find a slide-in stud to attach a bipod (Sinclair International, Canada) and that will cost money and time. Without Steyr factory rings, you will have to sort a scope mount, which might be difficult in itself. If you're outside of the EU and do not already own a factory over-barrel suppressor for a PIV, you will be looking at several thousands of dollars to have a custom suppressor built with reverse metric threads -- it will be a full-custom build. I only wanted this rifle for a suppressed application and couldn't make it happen.

I love Steyr products and have a Steyr pistol to this day and will own another, vintage Steyr Manlicher when opportunity presents itself. If I could own a PIV NIB, I would be all over it, except that issue with the bottom-plastic and the silly-ass plastic magazines. I guess I would need cash to burn to own another one, but it is a great piece of kit.

I hope that this helps you whether you're on the buy or sell side of the equation.

Cheers,

J

The SSG69 PIV has a threaded barrel in the action compared with the other SSG69s and their press fitted barrels. This is very important because you can change the barrel in the PIV just like any other conventional action.

Now to the interesting bit. The SSG69 action has the fastest locktime of any factory tactical action, app 2ms or less. None can compete. A Sako TRG22 is 40-50% slower. Compared to any M700SA, clone or Tikka T3X the SSG69 has the benefit that the bullet has exited the barrel before the firering pin has hit the primer on the "700"/T3 if the trigger is pulled simultaneously. Ask any silhouette shooter about the importance of this.

The SSG69, with its rear locking lugs, has 60deg bolt opening and the shortest bolt travel of any rifle action handling the 308 family of cartridges. Bolt travel on the SSG69 is shorter than any front locking mini action designed for the 222/223 family and about an inch shorter than a 700SA.

There are also bottom metal for AICS mags available and McMillan has an excellent stock.

If the PIV was my rifle I would fit a new 26" match barrel in 6XC og 6.5CM. You then end up with the easiest shooting and ergonomically best rifle out there. I would keep the original mags, 5 and 10 shots, to maintain the excellent balance of the rifle.

I use an Anschutz 1827 biathlon rifle as a benchmark for my CF rifles. The SSG69 is as close as one can get using "std hardware".

Unfortunately PIV's dont really come up for sale that often anymore. This one is possibly the last one available to dealers in the US, it was the "floor sample" at Steyr USA in Alabama. They said it was the last one and no more would be coming, not sure if that was the case or not.
    Not a very good picture, but this one is wearing a Bixler (SCRC) suppressor specially designed for the PIV. Super quiet for .308 with any ammo. .
    IMG_0080_20201019_084346_edited.jpg
    IMG_20201019_1753249~2_edited.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: wildcats