• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Steyr SSG P1 vs. 70s Steyr Mannlicher Model L Varmint

VonMaunder

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2021
Maine
Hello All, I'm seeking information on the difference, if any, in the accuracy of these two rifles, both in .308. I know they share actions but is the barrel of the SSG more accurate than the Model L heavy barreled Varmint? Does the L wear the same barrel as the PII? Does anyone have experience with both or just the Model L Varmint? There is plenty of info on the SSG, not so much on the L. Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
I have no experience on the Model "L" in .308 but do have one in 22-250 plus an SSG P2.

Both models i have use the same bottom metal & I use Dr. Stangelove's (Toms) aluminum bottom metal which fits like a glove & works perfectly in both rifles. I highly recommend getting his bottom metal versus using the factory plastic crap.

The Model "L" uses a barrel that is threaded into the receiver versus a press fit on the SSG.
The SSG has a receiver that is 8.5" long versus the Model "L" at 7"
Accuracy of both rifles is about the same.
Hope this helps

Thank you awp, Didn't realize the L barrel was threaded. I have already spoken to Tom and am on the list for the next batch of bottom metal. Can't abide the plastic.