• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

STEYR SSG69 QUESTIONS

nmcollektor

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2013
Hi all. I have owned this rifle for a while and have some questions about it. I'd like to get some confirmation that I am correctly noting it as the proper model.

I consider it a Steyr-Daimler-Puch A.G. Steyr Mannlicher SSG69. It has proofs that I believe date it to 1981, so I didn't know it they merit a more specific model description?

It's rare in the sense that it has an original wooden stock, which I was told was a custom factory order. Any info on the rarity of these stocks would be appreciated as well. It's very comfortable to shoot.

It's wearing the original factory rings and period correct Swarovski-Optik / Tirol ZFM 6x42 Plex scope as well.

Enjoy the pics, and thanks!
ss1.jpg

ss15.jpg
ss3.jpg
ss5.jpg
ss4.jpg
ss7.jpg
ss8.jpg
ss10.jpg
ss6.jpg
ss2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes very nice!! I have an SSG-04 and have shot out three barrels in it. Unlike the SSG-69 the SSG-04 has a screw on barrel vs the sweated on none changeable SSG-69 barrel. Sweet looking stick!!

Agreed, damn nice.

OP, yes it appears that is all correct info. As far as the stocks, I have seen a few with it. I almost bought one years ago with that wood stock.

Yes very nice!! I have an SSG-04 and have shot out three barrels in it. Unlike the SSG-69 the SSG-04 has a screw on barrel vs the sweated on none changeable SSG-69 barrel. Sweet looking stick!!
There was one model of the SSG69 that was a threaded receiver. I think it was the P3 or maybe P4. I used to know a lot about these guns but seems I have forgotten most of it.

Reactions: GIXXER2000
What you basically have is an SSG 69 P1, The P1 being the model with iron sights, and a slightly lighter profile barrel than the P2. As you mentioned, the walnut stock model was a factory custom run - I believe they were known as the "Sport". Definitely an uncommon variant among all the SSG 69 models overall, but still basically a P1 otherwise.

As stated earlier, you have an SSG 69 P1 version with wood stock. Make sure you list the reticle in your your ZFM when you go to sell it.

Some data on the SSG series rifles:
P1 with butter knife bolt handle, iron sights standard, skinny barrel (650mm length)
P2 with teardrop bolt handle, heavier barrel; 650mm length, (back in the day it was called the SSG police in their catalog), no iron sights
P2K with teardrop bolt handle, heavier barrel; 508mm in length, no iron sights
SSG P3 Match with teardrop bolt handle, heavier barrel; 650mm length, HS precision stock, don't remember the sights that were available but pretty sure the diopter sights were available as an option on this model.
SSG Match UIT, with round knob bolt handle, heavier barrel; 650mm length if i remember correctly, wood stock that accepts metal magazines, diopter sights, straight trigger shoe.
SG P4 called the SSG SD in their catalog, 407mm heavy barrel, threaded for removable flash hider, barrel is threaded into receiver

Optics available for these rifles:
Kahles ZF69-6x, German post reticle if i remember correctly
Kahles ZF 84, two version i now of were; one with centered reticle & one with non-centered reticle, 6x & 10x were available, several reticles available
Kahles ZF 95, pretty sure 6x & 10x were available, several reticles available
Swarovski ZFM 6x, not sure of the available reticles but OP says his is duplex
Hensoldt ZF 500 & ZF 800 both were 10x; ZF 500 were .25moa adj & was for 100-500m; ZF 800 was .50 moa adj & set for 100-800m, both had .25 moa windage adj. Both had mildot reticles.

Reactions: Charlie112
The wood stock is the standard stock on the SSG69 Match with open sights. The Match has a 3/8" rail on top of the receiver instead of the milling for scope mounts for added stiffness.
In the 70'ies the SSG69 Sniper/Sport with open sights, milled receiver and "7.62NATO battle chamber" was tested at the factory (action in a machine rest) and the first 10 shots fired had to produce a group within 10cm at 300m to be approved for sale. The SSG69 Match, with a 308win match chamber, had to put the first 10 shots within 7.5cm at 300m. 2.3/4"@330yds.
The SSG69 has an extremely short locktime and on off hand shoting I usually scored 5 - 10% higher scores with the SSG than with a stock Rem700SA. I closed the gap with a Speedlock in the 700 but could not cmpletely close it. In 500m bigbore silhouette I would shoot app 28-30/40 with the 700 and 30-33/40 with the SSG69. Both in 308. On moving targets there was a similar difference.
I "wore out" 2 SSG69s back in the days. Both barrels lasted 8000+ rounds and were still shooting .8moa when I sold them. I've just now aquiered a mint SSG69 P2 with a 26" barrel to hopefully bring back some old shooting skills to an old and worn out body :cool:

I have a fun memory from the first time I was going to shoot my then brand new SSG69 Match. When I came to the closed range there was a guy outside waiting for another shooter. The guy was english and we started talking. He presented himself as Malcolm Cooper. I opened the range and we started shooting. After a while I got to shoot his prototype Accuracy International switch barrel rifle and he shot my SSG69 :)

SSG69 match with no milling and 3/8" steel rail.

dscn0615-jpg.5270

1683271981717.png

Last edited:
Reading this thread makes me want to buy an SSG-69 P2 version for a nice price, preferably with double-set triggers, just because I like them.
I bought this OD green/tan stock on eBay a while ago, along with the 10X ZF95 scope...but the 26mm rings are for a Tikka rail - not a Steyr SSG69 (opps)

SSG-69 parts2_right.jpg

...the scope apparently has a very special reticle, not just a MIL DOT, but a MILL DOT. (That typo made me laugh...)
Kahles ZF95 box side_MILL DOT.jpg

The most unusual SSG-69 stock I have seen was this one with a reportedly factory camo pattern. Owner said that not many were made, and I'm still kicking myself for not buying this rifle a few years ago when it popped up on the CMP forum. It's the only one I have seen with a supposed factory camo stock:

SSG_69_camo3.jpg

Last edited:
Anything Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 related is always very interesting for me. Anything. I will never know enough about those very accurate factory - non custom, that is - rifles. I own two of those rifles (P1 and P2) and I always wonder how come nobody has tried to build similar rifles using the same technology - stiff barreled action with a rear recoil abutment instead of a standard recoil lug somewhere forward on the action. At least nobody that I know of.

I always wonder how come nobody has tried to build similar rifles using the same technology - stiff barreled action with a rear recoil abutment instead of a standard recoil lug somewhere forward on the action.
I think the downside of the SSG-69 design is the lack of a threaded barrel (except the P4 version). Replacing the pressed-in barrel is not easy outside of the factory, and that may be why the design has not been adopted by others. I don't know if Steyr continued that with feature their newer rifles.
The rear recoil abutment topic is unique, and perhaps the standard front recoil lug design is an artifact of conventional wooden stock designs?

(It might not be correct, but I have read that to replace the SSG-69 barrel, the barrel has be dramatically cooled (perhaps cryogenically?), while the receiver dramatically heated-up, to facilitate the press-fitting of the two parts. Again, that is what I have read, which seems to be a design draw-back).

Last edited:
Carcajou:

The old Remington 788 is actually very similar to the SSG69 with rear locking lugs and extremely short locktime.
During the haydays of metallic silhouette shooting some shooters made comp rifles on the 788 action that was easier to shoot offhand than 700 based rifles. One could even get a Green electronic trigger for the 788.

The wood stock is the standard stock on the SSG69 Match with open sights. The Match has a 3/8" rail on top of the receiver instead of the milling for scope mounts for added stiffness.
In the 70'ies the SSG69 Sniper/Sport with open sights, milled receiver and "7.62NATO battle chamber" was tested at the factory (action in a machine rest) and the first 10 shots fired had to produce a group within 10cm at 300m to be approved for sale. The SSG69 Match, with a 308win match chamber, had to put the first 10 shots within 7.5cm at 300m. 2.3/4"@330yds.
The SSG69 has an extremely short locktime and on off hand shoting I usually scored 5 - 10% higher scores with the SSG than with a stock Rem700SA. I closed the gap with a Speedlock in the 700 but could not cmpletely close it. In 500m bigbore silhouette I would shoot app 28-30/40 with the 700 and 30-33/40 with the SSG69. Both in 308. On moving targets there was a similar difference.
I "wore out" 2 SSG69s back in the days. Both barrels lasted 8000+ rounds and were still shooting .8moa when I sold them. I've just now aquiered a mint SSG69 P2 with a 26" barrel to hopefully bring back some old shooting skills to an old and worn out body :cool:

I have a fun memory from the first time I was going to shoot my then brand new SSG69 Match. When I came to the closed range there was a guy outside waiting for another shooter. The guy was english and we started talking. He presented himself as Malcolm Cooper. I opened the range and we started shooting. After a while I got to shoot his prototype Accuracy International switch barrel rifle and he shot my SSG69 :)

SSG69 match with no milling and 3/8" steel rail.

dscn0615-jpg.5270

View attachment 8134985
Torf,

"In the 70'ies the SSG 69 Sniper/Sport with open sights, milled receiver and "7.62 NATO battle chamber" was tested at the factory (action in a machine rest) and the first 10 shots fired had to produce a group within 10cm at 300m to be approved for sale. The SSG 69 Match, with a 308 match chamber, had to put the first 10 shots within 7.5cm at 300 m. 2¾"@ 330 yrds."
I already knew those numbers but, each and every time that I read about them or hear about them, I am still very impressed. The SSG 69 rifles -all of them - are, after all, factory rifles.

Carcajou:

The old Remington 788 is actually very similar to the SSG69 with rear locking lugs and extremely short locktime.
During the haydays of metallic silhouette shooting some shooters made comp rifles on the 788 action that was easier to shoot offhand than 700 based rifles. One could even get a Green electronic trigger for the 788.
Torf,

Yes, I always tought that the Remington 788 was quite similar to the Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 with its rear locking lugs and its extremely short locktime. And the Remington 788 rifle, even with its recoil lug clamped between the barrel and the receiver, is remarkably accurate for a factory standard hunting rifle. Way back then, the Remington Model 788 rifle was cheap - and very accurate, at the same time.

Last edited:
Reading this thread makes me want to buy an SSG-69 P2 version for a nice price, preferably with double-set triggers, just because I like them.
I bought this OD green/tan stock on eBay a while ago, along with the 10X ZF95 scope...but the 26mm rings are for a Tikka rail - not a Steyr SSG69 (opps)

View attachment 8135094

...the scope apparently has a very special reticle, not just a MIL DOT, but a MILL DOT. (That typo made me laugh...)
View attachment 8135095

The most unusual SSG-69 stock I have seen was this one with a reportedly factory camo pattern. Owner said that not many were made, and I'm still kicking myself for not buying this rifle a few years ago when it popped up on the CMP forum. It's the only one I have seen with a supposed factory camo stock:

View attachment 8135104
Fantastic info. Thank you so much!

Here's a picture of me, on the left with my SSG69 Match, from the Norwegian National Guard magasine in 1983.

What is really interesting in this picture is the elderly man to the right, Trygve Bagåsen. During WW2 he was dodgin the GESTAPO and received weapons dropped in containers from RAF bombers in the forests around Oslo in Norway. Some of the handguns dropped were Colt Single Action Armys, nickeled 4.3/4" 45LC obtained by the British purchasing commission. These SAAs were distributed to a Norwegian sabotage unit called Milorg D13. These are the last SAAs officially distributed to a military unit. The first SAAs was distributed to General Custer's 7th Cavalry.

1684154900401.png

Very cool pics @TorF!
Hopefully you can shed some light on the triggers that were available.
From my memory there were actually 3 trigger groups available, Single stage/single trigger, Double set, & possible the third was a two stage single trigger. I remember that there was something about the sear on the 2nd version of the single trigger unit & i think it was a two stage design??

Can anyone spot what is very different on my early 90's SSG P2? It was sent to Steyr to have the additional item/s added & supposedly there are only two rifles like this one in existence with the mod, per the guy (Iner, probably spelled wrong) at Steyr who found the additional items in the bottom of a toolbox in the warehouse.
SSG.jpg

Your SSG 69 P2 has iron sights (the hood does not seem to be directly over the front sight), like an SSG 69 P1. Unusual. I own one SSG P2 rifle, with the iron sights too, that I bought in 2010 from Steyr Arms, Trussville, Alabama, via a Canadian importer. The trigger guard/magwell on your rifle is an aftermarket replacement (Dr. Strangelove ?).

From what I can see. And from what I know. But I am always interested in learning more about those rifles.

Last edited:
Bingo Carcajou, you are correct, the iron sights are the items Steyr added to my rifle. Very interesting to know that your P2 has them also. From what Iner told me mid-90's the two in my area were the only ones that had them as Steyr never made them for the P2 due to the heavier barrel. Yes my front hood isn't correctly placed on the front sight. When the hood is properly set into the notch on the front sight, you can barely see underneath it, so i moved it a little bit upwards so the sight could be seen & apparently i have it set incorrectly in the pic. Yes i have Dr Strangelove's bottom metal in the rifle these days which is a fantastic upgrade. Also have an aics version bottom metal that CDI made years ago. Hoping that the good doctor makes them in the future as i would get 4 of them for everyone around me. FYI: The bottom metal also fits the Varmint Model "L". The Varmint model "L" also has a threaded in barrel & my varmint is in 22-250. Unfortunately several years ago i sold both of my ZF84 scopes to hide members, Got old & needed higher magnification which is why the MK4 is on it.

Here's a picture of me, on the left with my SSG69 Match, from the Norwegian National Guard magasine in 1983.

What is really interesting in this picture is the elderly man to the right, Trygve Bagåsen. During WW2 he was dodgin the GESTAPO and received weapons dropped in containers from RAF bombers in the forests around Oslo in Norway. Some of the handguns dropped were Colt Single Action Armys, nickeled 4.3/4" 45LC obtained by the British purchasing commission. These SAAs were distributed to a Norwegian sabotage unit called Milorg D13. These are the last SAAs officially distributed to a military unit. The first SAAs was distributed to General Custer's 7th Cavalry.

View attachment 8141559
Torf,

The Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 rifles - all models - have been sold all over the world from 1969 till 2015 and many are still in use today, including war zones. I think that they have always been scarce and the people who own them really cling to them in a peculiar way. From what I can see here in Canada, the prices for the occasional ones that get sold are climbing - at an alarming rate, I would say.
Very interesting picture. Some knowledgeable riflemen in Norway were already using the Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 rifles, in 1983. Obviously. The fame of the Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 rifles - their precision, that is - had been spreading fast, right from the beginning.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a replacement wooden stock besides Boyds for my SSG 69?

No. had the rifle for years. Replaced the plastic trigger guard and mags. I would just like a wooden stock like the original sport model.