• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr Tactical Elite, yes or no?

Re: Steyr Tactical Elite, yes or no?

I think it would be a great little rifle. I have a couple standard Steyr Scout rifles in 308. Got a bunch of rounds thru the older one, it's a real shooter for such a small rifle. Give it a try.

I have one, but the factory barrel is too long for what it is. For a long range rifle there are better options out there for the money. I just had the barrel cut back to 18" and it handles much better. My goal was to have a medium weight, handy deer rifle that was accurate enough to play with at longer ranges.

One thing I can say is the built in "bipod" sucks. I just pretend it isn't there so I'm never dissapointed with it.

2livlnt.jpg

200eb77.jpg

Reactions: TriggerReed357

Steyr rifles in general are excellant. Very accurate and reliable. I have two, an SSG 69 in 308 and a Pro Hunter Mountain in 30-06. Both rifle are the best of their breed out of the box.

Some things to consider.

1. Customization like the Remington 700 is very limited.
2. Spare parts are expensive.
3. Rebarreling is complicated and requires the gun to go back to Steyr. The SSG for example has a press fit barrel like an Anschutz which most gunsmiths cannot deal with.
4. Accessory triggers other than Steyr are not readily available.

But, if you want an awesome out of the box rifle which you are just going to shoot and shoot, the Steyr are great. I bought my SSG 69 in 1985 and it still shoot .5 MOA. The Pro Hunter is my "truck gun."

Cool rifles. Unconvential, and very Austrian. If its not your only rifle, they are nice additions to the collection.

I have one I got late last year and it has been sitting in the safe. I'm just not sure if I want to keep it or not. Its not so little and it is heavy. I do like all the options that it comes with and I do have the 10rd. mags with it.

Newer Steyr bolt guns were all based on vastly successful SSG69, which can be had at very reasonable price and shoots as well as most customer built rifles. To me, changing barrel is not a big concern - it's almost just as expensive to do a barrel change in a customer rifle as to buy a new SSG69. The weakness in SSG design is its plastic 4 round magazines - some 10-rd are available and cost over 200, but 4-round is about 60 only

Yes,

I have a .308 Scout (bipod is not ideal, but is already there and works for me),
And 2 SSG08's.

Every time I see a Tactical Elite for sale, my wallet gets warm. So far I have resisted.

Steyr's are GTG for Me.

One of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned was a Steyr Tactical Elite. I wish I still had it.

tactical elite is nice, but it is overpriced. In Europe it costs almost the same as Sako trg. What I like about Elite is that it is more compact than trg. if it was 20% cheaper I would buy it. Otherwise I would go with sako or sauer.

Buy a Steyr for what it is, not what another rifle is better suited for. They are great rifles off the shelf.